Kernow MRC PRA china clay wagons

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

Well I never thought I’d ever see a RTR PRA wagon - and they’re only little so it would be rude not to get a couple :)

I like where this going - hopefully if Kernow carry on working their way through the China clay wagons we might get a CDA that’s actually the right shape one day!

Jon

I live in hope!

Following a fire at the Wiggins Teape works in 1982 resulting in it's closure for several months, temporary alternative markets were sought for the China clay.

One flow which resulted from this was an order from Belgium which was exported through Boston Docks.

This makes these wagons ideal for use on my Boston Frodsham layout which is part based on the entrance to Boston docks.

So order placed for 2 wagons in early livery to run in consist with my clay tiger wagon.

Edited by mike knowles
  • Like 3

They may have traversed the section from Exeter to Yeovil on a diverted Speedlink (if, for example, the line was flooded north of Exeter); the Burngullow to Irvine “Silver Bullets” train was certainly recorded taking this route. Otherwise, I really can't see any reason why they would have strayed from their usual route between Cornwall and Scotland. China Clay traffic was not unknown on the Southern in that era (Sittingbourne and Quidhampton, for example) but that was in slurry form and so travelled in tankers.

But that doesn’t stop you from buying some ;)

It would be nice to see some photos of Speedlinks etc., going up the hill to Exeter Central, including if they were banked.  From going there on holidays as a young boy, I can only ever recall seeing 37's bringing the Exmouth Jcn., HEA's down the hill and Ballast Trains going up and down it.  I'd would really enjoy seeing images of freights, on the line to Exeter Central.

Regards,

C.

• 2 weeks later...

I notice one of the pics on the Kernow site shows a SR pillbox brake with airpipes, anyone know the number? I know from Paul Bartlett's site a small number received airpipes, the Kernow picture seems to show a repair to the planking.

• RMweb Gold

The big question is, do I order one now, or wait and see if a weathered version follows?

Given the usual mess that the PRA's were found/seen in, a weathered version will be essential if you want realism.

I have a set of Kernow's 5 plank china clay wagons that were, in my opinion, very well factory weathered. If something similar is done for the PRA then it would be welcome. However I am not prepared to wait or take the risk that Kernow do not do a weathered version and have pre-purchased the pristine early liveried set. All I need to do now is learn how to use my airbrush properly!

• RMweb Gold

It would be nice to see some photos of Speedlinks etc., going up the hill to Exeter Central, including if they were banked.  From going there on holidays as a young boy, I can only ever recall seeing 37's bringing the Exmouth Jcn., HEA's down the hill and Ballast Trains going up and down it.  I'd would really enjoy seeing images of freights, on the line to Exeter Central.

Regards,

C.

I couldn’t tell you what it was called but there’s a YouTube video of the silver bullets going up the bank to Exeter Central. Two 37s at the front and another giving a helpful shove at the back. There’s another that features, if I remember correctly, a train of HEAs going up the bank with a 37 on the front and two 31s banking. Haven’t seen any with a speedlink though.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Excellent choice of wagon which, for me, is full of character and interest. Beautiful!

I've just placed an online order for 6 of them - Early version.

Question : it's a small wagon so will it be weighted or will the 'top' be removable for

the modeller to fit extra weight?

Comment : it would be great if it had some factory pre-weathering.

Request : To the Fat Adder (Message #9).  I've been through many hundreds of pictures on flickr

and Google Images but still can't find a photo of six of them in one rake on the mainline.

Please, please can you give us a link?

Many thanks.

Pete M.

• RMweb Gold

There is a photo of 37175 accelerating out of Fort Bill on 28 May 1985 with 3 vans (VBA/VAA?) and 7 PRAs in ‘37s in the Highlands’ by Roger Siviter. This book was published by Kingfisher Railway Productions in 1989.

@Pete M

See below from earlier in the thread for a rake of 7

Ok it’s in Scotland rather than Cornwall, but logically they travelled up (or down) together

Thanks for those references. And lots of credit to the guys who posted the pictures.

Very interesting and helpful.

Actually I'm so undecided whether to base my layout on the West Highland Line 

with Large Logo Class 37s or on the WCML with blue electrics. So many lovely models!

Cheers.

Pete M.

There is a photo of 37175 accelerating out of Fort Bill on 28 May 1985 with 3 vans (VBA/VAA?) and 7 PRAs in ‘37s in the Highlands’ by Roger Siviter. This book was published by Kingfisher Railway Productions in 1989.

Thanks for that reference. It looks really interesting.

I've ordered a copy on eBay!

Cheers.

Pete M.

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I am getting impatient for these! Kernow Models website states they should be available 4th quarter 2018. Has anyone heard anything to the contrary or, for that matter, heard anything more about the PRA's? 

Still nothing that I can find in the public domain about the PRA's and Q4 draws towards a close!

I asked for an update at the Kernow stand at Warley but was fobbed off with a 'sign up to our news letter for information' which I took to mean either I don't know or don't care! I was less than impressed....

I also asked at Warley and was a bit taken aback by the grumpy response from Mr Terise.

‘They are in production was barked at me.

When I asked if that meant Feb or March in UK, the same answer was barked at me a second time. I eventually got that they had no clue when they would arrive next year, the chinese supplier apparently not wanting to tell them such trivial information.

Apparently I am a bad person for not handing over my preorder cash up front.

I may now decide to keep my cash completely and not darken their Cornish door again.

Edited by black and decker boy

I also asked at Warley and was a bit taken aback by the grumpy response from Mr Terise.

‘They are in production was barked at me.

When I asked if that meant Feb or March in UK, the same answer was barked at me a second time. I eventually got that they had no clue when they would arrive next year, the chinese supplier apparently not wanting to tell them such trivial information.

Apparently I am a bad person for not handing over my preorder cash up front.

I may now decide to keep my cash completely and not darken their Cornish door again.

I've had a chat with Chris today and the instance was discussed. It's probably fair to say, firstly, that Warley isn't the most conducive place for sensible discussions and also that, inevitably, in such cases that interpretation of the situation may vary too. Chris does recall the exchange and it's true that specific delivery dates are not set yet but there seems to be another aspect to this in so much as you wanted to know the date so that you could order to obtain the advantageous pre-order price, but apparently not yet.

In that context I do think it unfair to be publicly hostile in this fashion when there is an undisclosed aspect.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I've had a chat with Chris today and the instance was discussed. It's probably fair to say, firstly, that Warley isn't the most conducive place for sensible discussions and also that, inevitably, in such cases that interpretation of the situation may vary too. Chris does recall the exchange and it's true that specific delivery dates are not set yet but there seems to be another aspect to this in so much as you wanted to know the date so that you could order to obtain the advantageous pre-order price, but apparently not this early in the process.

In that context I do think it unfair to be publicly hostile in this fashion when there is an undisclosed aspect.

Andy, I think you are being overly generous to Kernow here. I paid them £140 back in July on the basis that the wagons were advertised to arrive in Q4 2018. I get the fact that delays in new models seem to be a fact of life but, at the very least, I expect to be informed about what is going on. I have heard nothing and there is no update on Kernow's website which still states the PRA's are due Q4. I do not subscribe to their newsletter but as far as I can find, there has been nothing communicated about the PRA's.

I get that the theft issues Kernow experienced at Warley are not nice but disagree that an exhibition is not a conducive place for the most simple of conversations with a retailer about their products especially when the stand was not busy when I asked the question. The answer was unhelpful to say the least, verging on the down right rude. Whilst the person I spoke with will not have known that I had prepaid, a more appropriate and constructive response would have been to tell me what they have now told you. The standard (or lack thereof) of customer service I have experienced, not just at Warley, is inexcusable for a retailer.  

I want the wagons which means I will have to wait. However I am far from impressed with Kernow hence my sharing this experience with my fellow modellers and if anyone cares to check my previous posts, they will see that I also identify good customer service when I experience it.

Rob

I expect to be informed about what is going on. I have heard nothing and there is no update on Kernow's website which still states the PRA's are due Q4. I do not subscribe to their newsletter but as far as I can find, there has been nothing communicated about the PRA's.

Have you tried a direct communication?

http://www.kernowmodelrailcentre.com/contact

• Like 1

Seriously some people and patience - i dunno!

If i was Mr Terise I would be tempted to cancel* some orders, not hurry them up.

*I have done this to one with attitude, on items far more expensive than model railways 

• Like 1