Kernow MRC PRA china clay wagons

Andy Y

I've had a chat with Chris today and the instance was discussed. It's probably fair to say, firstly, that Warley isn't the most conducive place for sensible discussions and also that, inevitably, in such cases that interpretation of the situation may vary too. Chris does recall the exchange and it's true that specific delivery dates are not set yet but there seems to be another aspect to this in so much as you wanted to know the date so that you could order to obtain the advantageous pre-order price, but apparently not yet.

In that context I do think it unfair to be publicly hostile in this fashion when there is an undisclosed aspect.

Nope. I was asking as I didn’t want to have to pay up front in full (which I had understood to be needed) without knowing expected due date. If as advertised as Q4 arrival then it would have been an order made to go under the tree. I’m actually not bothered by any prepay discount as to be honest, I had no idea there was one and he didn’t mention one at Warley, just moaned at me for not placing a pre order and that if I and others didn’t in future then there wouldn’t be new models. My opinion, as shared was such matters were his commercial risk since he gets the commercial profit not me. Given his exclusives often sell out, I don’t get the frostiness but I wasn’t aware they had lost stock at the show and that would be enough to make anyone grumpy so will give them my sympathies and await better news on the PRA in 2019 Edited by black and decker boy
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

just moaned at me for not placing a pre order and that if I and others didn’t in future then there wouldn’t be new models. 

Ironic. I tried to place a pre-order when they were first announced, but when I got to the Kernow site I realised I'd forgotten my account password. I hit the "forgotten password" button and was told I'd be emailed a link to reset my password. Never arrived. Tried again a couple of days later and still nothing. So I assumed Kernow didn't want my money, and abandoned the idea of buying any PRAs. 

Latest news today, sounds reasonable. "Project update - 5th December 2018 - Production has commenced.

We have taken a bit of time to get the roof colour correct having had many samples rejected until we reached the shade we were happy with.  The approved colour was received just before Warley and production has now commenced.  We hope that production will be completed before Chinese New Year and that we will receive the models by the end of 1st Quarter 2019.  As soon as it has been confirmed that the models are being shipped the pre-order price offer will finish."

• RMweb Gold

Ironic. I tried to place a pre-order when they were first announced, but when I got to the Kernow site I realised I'd forgotten my account password. I hit the "forgotten password" button and was told I'd be emailed a link to reset my password. Never arrived. Tried again a couple of days later and still nothing. So I assumed Kernow didn't want my money, and abandoned the idea of buying any PRAs.

This is not an impression that I recognise,having been a Kernow customer for 12 years.....and I have hit the same button on many occasions because I always misplace or forget my password.Never failed yet to get one.Besides which a telephone conversation is an effective and personal alternative.No you didn’t do that but now you choose to throw a pout on this thread without giving the obvious a try ? Wonder why that is.

FYI,Chris Trerise and his team were almost overwhelmed by the crush and crowds at the NEC on Saturday and were struggling by Sunday with sore voices and light fingered “ browsers “ pilfering. Nice when you’ve driven hundreds of miles to be there.

I was a customer on Sunday and had a short conversation with Chris but I could see that he was working with his team flat out to keep the punters happy and engaged. Guess what,he’s just followed up on it and I’ve received an email .Great stuff from a guy who’s juggling to keep several plates in the air at the same time.

So tomorrow,Kernow will get ....money upfront...an order for Bulleid 10203...Just saying.

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

just moaned at me for not placing a pre order and that if I and others didn’t in future then there wouldn’t be new models. 

You should have asked them to promise......

Looks like the PRA has been dispatched from China, as the price has gone up.

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium

You should have asked them to promise......

Looks like the PRA has been dispatched from China, as the price has gone up.

Regards,

C.

Price seems to be the same 39.99? I have just ordered a second one as I havent seen many pictures of one their own.

• 4 weeks later...
On 20/07/2018 at 13:32, The Fatadder said:

Does anyone know when the chassis changed to black?  I have found photos dated 1986 with the original grey still present, but have yet to find a photo in black.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Rich?

I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between heavy weathering and grey chassis examples!

Guy

Edited by lyneux

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, lyneux said:

Did you ever get to the bottom of this Rich?

I'm finding it hard to tell the difference between heavy weathering and grey chassis examples!

Guy

I never managed to get a definitive answer, like you I found very little difference once they were weathered in service.   I recall reading that there were two batches built, the first being with the grey chassis and the second batch the black chassis.  Given I was looking for them in 1987 condition I came to the conclusion a mix of both would be idea, I just haven't actually got round to ordering any yet.  

3 minutes ago, The Fatadder said:

I never managed to get a definitive answer, like you I found very little difference once they were weathered in service.   I recall reading that there were two batches built, the first being with the grey chassis and the second batch the black chassis.  Given I was looking for them in 1987 condition I came to the conclusion a mix of both would be idea, I just haven't actually got round to ordering any yet.  

Yes,. I think you are right about that. Looking at Paul Bartlett's site shows examples of RLS3604,5 & 6 all in 1988 with (I think?) a grey chassis. It's hard to tell though. It looks like up to about 3609 they are grey and then they cut over to black chassis? Looks like Kernow might have the same doubts as all their grey-chassis examples are low numbered, 5, 6, 8, 9 and the black ones are 13, 14, 15, 16.

• Agree 1

I have ordered two of these but have gone for 6313 and 6316 simply because they were reused once they finished in china clay traffic. The whole PVV to PRA timelime and wagon usage makes quite interesting researching. My pair will work on a rule 1 basis on my layout on a powdered lime trial...

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

On ‎14‎/‎02‎/‎2019 at 16:43, lyneux said:

Also: RLS6304 has noticeably different springs...

The PRAs were resprung from leaf to parabolic in 1987/88. As for chassis colour, as far as I could tell when helping Kernow with their research, 6313-16 were the black ones - these were built a little later.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
9 hours ago, roomey said:

Anyone heard any more about delivery times

cheers

Roomey

Today’s Kernow news letter indicates that models will be completed by June and 6-8 weeks shipping will follow. So mid July/early August.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, 66738 said:

Today’s Kernow news letter indicates that models will be completed by June and 6-8 weeks shipping will follow. So mid July/early August.

Hoping they will arrive in time for our club's China Clay themed layout next outing in Mid August.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, roomey said:

Still no sign of the model anyone heard anything more 

cheers

Roomey

Not a thing. I would have appreciated Kernow keeping those of us who had pre-ordered wagons a bit better informed of progress

Edited by mike knowles
Spelling

On 15/08/2019 at 10:54, Temeraire said:

I asked Chris at the New Milton show a couple weeks back and he told me they were in transit. So six weeks (ish) away from being delivered to us.

These must have been in transit for about 5 weeks by now and still more than a month remaining of the 3rd quarter.

• 2 weeks later...