Kernow MRC PRA china clay wagons

Andy Y

• RMweb Gold

My two have just been delivered by the postie and I am mightily impressed. Well done Chris and his team! Photos taken on my iPhone which tends to distort some of the colours. 

They also never ran past Chard but that is covered by Rule 1. 

all the best

Godfrey

103B82F0-CD3E-4F71-9476-F58672B70726.jpeg

4BF78172-4A31-4A99-B46A-23D8EC086C21.jpeg

36353F44-6A0F-4904-872C-8F98304D02C3.jpeg

• Like 6

My two arrived this morning although I ordered the early livery with the gray underframe and that is what I got, on the box end flap it says

PRA China Clay Wagon - Late RLS605

PRA China Clay Wagon - Late RLS609

so had a moment when I thought I had ordered the wrong ones.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Mine arrived this afternoon.

As already mentioned, a fantastic level of detail has been achieved. (underneath, as well as up top!!)

Lovely little wagons to add to my mixed freight workings once they've been dirtied up a bit !!

Cheers,

Phil.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, stephennicholson said:

One irritation is the coupling pocket height, which seems to be the height formally used by Bachmann. No problem with tension lock as they are supplied with cranked versions, however nem kaydees are too high. So a little fiddling required. 

Just found that out after fitting Hornby Roco couplings and tried to couple up to a Hornby loco. Maybe have to look for one of my older Bachmann locos to see if they work.

Keith

9 hours ago, tetsudofan said:

Just found that out after fitting Hornby Roco couplings and tried to couple up to a Hornby loco. Maybe have to look for one of my older Bachmann locos to see if they work.

Keith

I can't think of a Bach loco where the coupling was out by much* apart from the old Class 40 (and I think that was too low if memory serves correct).  I think what tetsudofan is referring to is the range of TTA based wagons (and engineering conversions such as Limpets etc.) which had the couplers set high and had cranked TL couplers.  Agree on slight frustration about height being wrong but am prepared to forgive given how amazing the rest of the wagon is - I was not expecting the level of detail that has been achieved and the consequent number of separately fitted parts.

* nearly every Bach loco in my fleet has required some fettling to get KD coupler at right height but mostly this is just small shims to account for slack in the NEM pocket

On 07/09/2019 at 10:19, Godfrey Glyn said:

'My two have just been delivered by the postie and I am mightily impressed. Well done Chris and his team! Photos taken on my iPhone which tends to distort some of the colours.  They also never ran past Chard but that is covered by Rule 1. 

all the best

Godfrey'

Very pleased with mine, which arrived yesterday, though grateful for the thoughtful provision of spare buffers since mine appeared to have a rough shunt on route at one end - easily sorted though.  Well done, Kernow.  What a wonderful model.

I am absolutely certain they must have passed Chard at some point, heading for Eastleigh for repair, and therefore heading past my locale - probably in the dead of night when nobody was watching though!  :jester: ...Or at least, that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  If pressed, IMTS also applies!  

Best wishes,

Paul

Edited by Grampus
Typos
  • Funny 3

Looking forward to receiving my pair hopefully they will arrive tomorrow as had dispatch email from Kernow on Friday.

Likewise mine will be on Speedlow under rule 1 and a what if powdered lime traffic they were trialling the wagons. In reality some of these PRAs were used in some coal traffic out of Goole in the early 1990s for a time before being stored there and later disposed of. So you never know Steetley Lime at Speedlow might just have needed to try some once they had been cleaned out of the coal dust and debris...

Cheers Paul

• Like 1

Just now, pharrc20 said:

Looking forward to receiving my pair hopefully they will arrive tomorrow as had dispatch email from Kernow on Friday.

Likewise mine will be on Speedlow under rule 1 and a what if powdered lime traffic they were trialling the wagons. In reality some of these PRAs were used in some coal traffic out of Goole in the early 1990s for a time before being stored there and later disposed of. So you never know Steetley Lime at Speedlow might just have needed to try some once they had been cleaned out of the coal dust and debris...

Cheers Paul

The version without the covers was used for agricultural lime traffic from one of the quarries at Ferryhill, back in the late 1980s

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

The version without the covers was used for agricultural lime traffic from one of the quarries at Ferryhill, back in the late 1980s

Would those be the PMVs opens or the PRAs without the covers?

Now Kernow have that chassis is there scope for them to do the Blue Circle Palvans, PMVs etc.?

Cheers Paul

• RMweb Premium

Have ordered two, bit disappointed to hear that when fitted with KD couplings they are too high. I am not a fan of having to mess around with new models, but not an insurmountable problem. 

5 hours ago, pharrc20 said:

Would those be the PMVs opens or the PRAs without the covers?

Now Kernow have that chassis is there scope for them to do the Blue Circle Palvans, PMVs etc.?

Cheers Paul

PMA; both the lower-sided ones with full-length bodies, and the higher-sided ones with the short body, were coded PMA, after air-brakes had been fitted.

• Like 1

They are a nice wagon, well painted and well detailed, and I suppose in some ways they are niche, but they don't really have a wow factor for a 2 axle wagon at nearly £40.  Even the lamp iron is moulded in the chassis, and not a separate fitting, nor does it have sprung buffers.  They are a nice wagon, but I just think for nearly £40 a piece, its a top end price, and the specification should be up there too.  

Regards,

C.

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, dogbox321 said:

They are a nice wagon, well painted and well detailed, and I suppose in some ways they are niche, but they don't really have a wow factor for a 2 axle wagon at nearly £40.  Even the lamp iron is moulded in the chassis, and not a separate fitting, nor does it have sprung buffers.  They are a nice wagon, but I just think for nearly £40 a piece, its a top end price, and the specification should be up there too.  

Regards,

C.

To be fair £40 by today’s standards is not a lot for a superb model (Bachmanns China Clay flats at around £20 a piece is a good example of over priced for really old tooling). Sprung buffers? Can’t say I really notice them. They are a niche model though and are China Clay orientated, coming from a Cornish model shop it is hardly surprising. As the prototypes are converted from another wagon it should be possible to convert them into other types. 

Hi

I collected my '4 pack' last Friday & am very pleased with them.......

Have spent today fitting my own brand couplings & had a play this evening......

They will need weathering but look superb.....

Here they are posed on my incomplete layout Hendra with the Kernow limited edition StBlazey brake van prior to a propelling move to Ponts Mill......

The 08 is a resprayed Bachmann loco renumbered & detailed to represent 08955....A loco I took pictures of at StBlazey as  well as at Exeter StDavids

IMG_6940.resized.JPG.4bc804a98daf0cf17d9c891b55e67dc9.JPG

When I collected my wagons I was proudly shown a scratchbuilt version  of the wagon built by a staff member.....

It is an excellent representation really well modelled & was apparently used I was told to help persuade the Chris to go into production of these wagons......

I would agree that sprung buffers would be good as I propel buffer to buffer but I am very pleased with my purchase.....

Cheers Bill

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

Received my wagons today, good packaging. I was worried about fitting kadees; they do sit a bit too high compared to my other Kadee fitted stock. However a couple of shims of plastic have brought them more or less into line with the others. Couplings aside the detail on these wagons is exemplary with the railings and frame detail being excellent. Worth every penny. 

• Agree 2

Hi all 

I’ve just converted mine to P4 

the w irons are not wide enough and require thinning to allow P4 wheels to fit 

The brakes have a bar along the bottom to give them the correct spacing, I glue the ends of the rigging down before I thinned the bar to stop it fouling the P4 wheel sets 

when the W irons are thinned I took about 1mm off, then reamed the bearing out and cleared any plastic away

test fit the wheel sets and make sure there’s no fouling and there’s it converted to P4 

cheers

will take about 30 minutes to do a wagon 

Roomey 

857D4098-B025-4C9E-AABD-BAB06617389E.jpeg

7EDDEF41-2E48-44DC-99A7-9AB8E42CD99F.jpeg

9B68EB46-A516-4ADB-A71D-EA0FB20F6361.jpeg

E0FFC9E9-180A-4EA2-ADDE-253FE52F15F9.jpeg