Kernow MRC PRA china clay wagons

Andy Y

I've found another picture...

post-15533-0-62386100-1532117949_thumb.jpg

Much as I admire Kernow's decision, the PRA must be the ugliest wagon that ever ran on rails!

Interesting that they think they can turn a profit on such an obscure wagon.

Edited by locoholic

• RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of PRAs taken in September 1984 at Fort William Mallaig Junction Yard. These were used for taking china clay to the paper mill at Corpach, on the Mallaig line.

David

post-7014-0-82180500-1532118155_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kylestrome
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold
  • RMweb Premium

Here are a couple of PRAs taken in September 1984 at Fort William Mallaig Junction Yard. These were used for taking china clay to the paper mill at Corpach, on the Mallaig line.

David

attachicon.gifPRA_RLS6306_FtWill_9-84.jpg

Is it just me or does that van look as if it's straight out of the box, rather than weathered like the other wagons?

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely brilliant announcement - something to add to my dwindling wants list :sungum: I will definitely be ordering some of these.

Move on 2 years and announce the PRA wagon and I really will think ive died and gone to heaven!

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Much as I admire Kernow's decision, the PRA must be the ugliest wagon that ever ran on rails!

It may seem to be obscure, but it's a type that was to be found in two of the most popular areas for models, the Cornish Clay country and  the West Highlands, as well as being common on the Speedlink services on the WCML.

Obscurity has never been a bar to a model being produced; think how many Well Wagons and Lowmacs have been done over the years, yet these wagons were mainly built in  very small numbers. Even when a particular type of wagon was relatively common, the manufacturers opted for a small, non standard, batch: when Triang did the Vanwide, they didn't model one of the 1994 more-or-less uniform ones, but one of the six built with extra vents and side shutters.

• Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

They can use the chassis to produce some ASW POA scrap wagons or the PMA open wagons

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/blackadder/h2e6d22e1

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rlsaggregatepma

• Like 3

They can use the chassis to produce some ASW POA scrap wagons or the PMA open wagons

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/blackadder/h2e6d22e1

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/rlsaggregatepma

The PMA, existed in two forms

One had an almost identical body to the PRA, but without tarpaulins and end platforms, and was generally used for carrying scrap (though I did see one at Ferryhill, loaded with limestone).

The other had a lower, full-length body, and was to be found on mineral traffic. They may have been used to carry calcified seaweed traffic from Cornwall at some point.

Edited by Fat Controller
  • Like 1

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

That looks much more like a CDA to me  (they are known as wheelie bins in the trade) :D

China Clay at the Cornwall end is rightly popular  - It is one of the few prototypical ways to have "modern" small freight trains that come from diverse loations and then get marshalled into big freight trains.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

[humour] I look forward to seeing others match my list of xx number of errors or perceived errors that I will repeatedly mention the number without actually stating what they might be [\humour]

... if nothing else it bumps the thread... that’s all from me

• RMweb Gold

Dang,

If only this was in N!

Ah well,

Paul

The body is available on Shapeways (for about £14, I think) that is designed to fit on a Peco 15ft chassis. Not perfect, but maybe good enough?

Then there is after they were famous and topless! They were being used between Hatfield Colliery and Goole, colliery spoil/stone for land fill and worked with the Booth Ferry Borough Council side tippers.

attachicon.gifRLS 6308 PRA Goole LR.jpg

I can see the magazine headline right now "Kernow to commission topless model". Should be a eye grabber.

• RMweb Gold

I can see the magazine headline right now "Kernow to commission topless model". Should be a eye grabber.

Yes, but Noch beat them to it ;-)

http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N15843&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+15843

More seriously, it was questioned up thread whether these ever strayed onto the southern, has anybody got any evidence that they did?

Roy

• RMweb Gold

Yes, but Noch beat them to it ;-)http://www.gaugemaster.com/item_details.asp?code=N15843&style=&strType=&Mcode=Noch+15843

More seriously, it was questioned up thread whether these ever strayed onto the southern, has anybody got any evidence that they did?

Roy

They may have traversed the section from Exeter to Yeovil on a diverted Speedlink (if, for example, the line was flooded north of Exeter); the Burngullow to Irvine “Silver Bullets” train was certainly recorded taking this route. Otherwise, I really can't see any reason why they would have strayed from their usual route between Cornwall and Scotland. China Clay traffic was not unknown on the Southern in that era (Sittingbourne and Quidhampton, for example) but that was in slurry form and so travelled in tankers.

But that doesn’t stop you from buying some ;)

Edited by Western Aviator

Well I never thought I’d ever see a RTR PRA wagon - and they’re only little so it would be rude not to get a couple :)

I like where this going - hopefully if Kernow carry on working their way through the China clay wagons we might get a CDA that’s actually the right shape one day!

Jon

• Agree 1