Kernow MRC PRA china clay wagons

Andy Y

4 hours ago, design8027 said:

Did any PRA's with black frames get up to Corpach during the 80's?

Yes they did, all fourteen wagons in the pool worked to Corpach, including the four with black frames.

They could be seen running singly, in pairs, triples, or up to about eight in a block,

cheers

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Have just taken the plunge and prized my body/chassis apart, a bit un-nerving to start with but came away quite easy. I have put some lead strip under the existing weight to keep the centre of gravity low. Each wagon now weighs in at 83 grams and are so much more stable on my layout. I had already put Kadees on, now they are excellent wagons istead of very good.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

I have a quick question if anyone can help please. Kernow have the late versions left in stock but not the early. What years are the transition? And is it effectively just black vs grey sole bars and some minor transfer locations that are the difference or something more notable?

A similar question seems to have been asked re livery but I can’t easily find a definitive response.

Many Thanks

On 17/09/2021 at 14:36, SHerr said:

I have a quick question if anyone can help please. Kernow have the late versions left in stock but not the early. What years are the transition? And is it effectively just black vs grey sole bars and some minor transfer locations that are the difference or something more notable?

A similar question seems to have been asked re livery but I can’t easily find a definitive response.

Many Thanks

To be honest I don't think there is a 'definitive' answer, the wagons got quite dirty anyway so I'd say it shouldn't matter too much. I guess it all comes down to how precise you want to be. My view is that lifes too short to focus on such issues, especially on a wagon that got very dirty. Otherwise the models would just sit in a box and never be used.

That being said, I need to get my pair weathered.

Cheers,

Wayne

• RMweb Premium
30 minutes ago, Wayne 37901 said:

To be honest I don't think there is a 'definitive' answer, the wagons got quite dirty anyway so I'd say it shouldn't matter too much. I guess it all comes down to how precise you want to be. My view is that lifes too short to focus on such issues, especially on a wagon that got very dirty. Otherwise the models would just sit in a box and never be used.

That being said, I need to get my pair weathered.

Cheers,

Wayne

Thanks,

I have noticed through looking more closely at some of Paul Bartlett’s photos that wagon 6315 which is one of the ‘late’ wagons is shown looking identical to the Photos dated 1984 and some possibly black frames from 1983. I’m wondering if early conversions were the different colour - the number series seems to work with that thought. 

Anyway, I’m going to order a couple - the photos give enough confidence.

• Like 1