Die Ercallbahn - Fulfilling a childhood dream.

ian

On 14/02/2024 at 19:54, ian said:

DAF Variomatic transmission

*Shudders* They used to sound as though they were going to blow up as they pulled away from a standing start. Not seen one in years until a few years ago when someone locally restored the Volvo version for reasons that even the owner could not explain!

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Woody C said:

Has Blitz the less than successful police dog from earlier episodes now got a new home????

Watch it. Any more of that sort of talk and you may be hearing from his solicitor.

423221514_6925034964290116_7613110218229

Anyway I think your eye test is overdue:

dogs.jpg

Fleck, the scrap yard dog on the left with Blitz on the right.

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 2

6 hours ago, ian said:

Anyway I think your eye test is overdue:

As you can imagine, someone like myself is well used to the threat of solicitors and my own solicitors, Judicious Jesters, will be ready and waiting to be un-collared and to get their teeth into the bone of any canine litigation matters that may arise although I do admit that perhaps I should have gone to a quality opticians rather than my usual branch of Blink Blasters!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold

240222-1.jpg
Yet more bits added to the scrapyard. The walls have started to go up and there are gates at the entrance. The staff now have the benefit of a toilet and Fleck has gained a water bowl. Two lighting masts have also been added.

240222-2.jpg
Along the viaduct a market is starting to spring up.

240222-3.jpg
And a great find on eBay. I wanted this model for the post office in Maifeld but have only seen poorly built examples with missing parts until now. The existing part-built Pola example will be displaced and I suspect some revisions to the town centre will be needed to properly accomodate it.

• Like 9
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, ian said:

240222-1.jpg
Yet more bits added to the scrapyard. The walls have started to go up and there are gates at the entrance. The staff now have the benefit of a toilet and Fleck has gained a water bowl. Two lighting masts have also been added.

240222-2.jpg
Along the viaduct a market is starting to spring up.

240222-3.jpg
And a great find on eBay. I wanted this model for the post office in Maifeld but have only seen poorly built examples with missing parts until now. The existing part-built Pola example will be displaced and I suspect some revisions to the town centre will be needed to properly accomodate it.

Is the Postbus included?

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Is the Postbus included?

No. The box-top/catalogue illustrations were rather like the 'serving suggestion's that you see on packets of food - lots of extras to make it look appealing. Fortunately I do have two post buses to hand, albeit different to the one illustrated.

Mind you, the bus stop and van loading bay are major points in the kit's favour...

Edited by ian
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 hours ago, ian said:

240222-3.jpg

Many of your posts bring back happy memories of the model railway my brother and I had made in the sixties/seventies. I remember having made up this post office from the Faller kit and it can be seen (if you know where to look)  at the right of this picture with a tree at the side wall:

volta10.jpg.c510df3915ed97ae8a18379dcb3e917f.jpg

Here is another picture of the city on our railway: 

volta8.jpg.98d5ef5428f48d8fdb1149c1626cfa6c.jpg

Regards

Fred

Edited by sncf231e
  • Like 8
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Gold
20 minutes ago, sncf231e said:

Many of your posts bring back happy memories of the model railway my brother and I had made in the sixties/seventies. I remember having made up this post office from the Faller kit and it can be seen (if you know where to look)  at the right of this picture with a tree at the side wall:

That looks like lots of fun.  Hmm, I wonder if I could get a tram in at Maifeld.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, ian said:

That looks like lots of fun.  Hmm, I wonder if I could get a tram in at Maifeld.

Yes, I'm sure you can. 

Whether any of the rest of us could might be a different question.  Here's one way it's been done - the "aisle filler" technique:

The commentary is in German, but English subtitles are available on most of the videos (sorry - not this one apparently).

Keith.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Keith Addenbrooke said:

Yes, I'm sure you can. 

You're a very naughty boy.

Fortunately suitable models at acceptable prices are thin on the ground today.

Mind you, I like the extended Vollmer car park.

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

240301-1.jpg
The tide is in! The water level has risen by 87cm.

The previous lower water level meant that the link span was at a crazy angle (even for the Ercallbahn) and the severe change of gradient at either end led to a number of unplanned uncouplings.

240301-2.jpg
Whilst the link span is now more or less level the track still drops to accomodate the change from the metal M track on the quay to thr plastic K track on the link span and ferry.

240301-3.jpg
A gratuitous shot from the seaward end with all the bits in place. I need to find the rest of the ferry's fittings that have come off over the harbour's gestation period.

240301-4.jpg
The scrapyard is now fully fenced, although it still needs a gate for the siding.

240301-5.jpg
And there has been a test fit to establish the pattern for the retaining wall behind the container crane.

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
On 23/02/2024 at 14:09, Keith Addenbrooke said:
On 23/02/2024 at 11:52, ian said:

Yes, I'm sure you can. 

I think I have found a suitable prototype....

https://www.scherpinbeeld.nl/foto/267/groenlose-tram/4193/groenlosetram9

• Round of applause 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...