DMU Photography - Away from the Three-Quarter View

Two 220s (I think) working Northbound on the ECML during 2010 & 2011.

09:49, Chester-le-Street viaduct on Saturday 18th September 2010 heading for Newcastle.

220_Northbound_09.49_Chester-le-Street_18th_September_2010.jpg.5bf3c4e318f0d2b02d9e12581e86a5bf.jpg

14:12, Thirsk station on Saturday 20th August 2011 heading for Northallerton & Darlington.

220_Northbound_14.12_Thirsk_20th_August_2011.jpg.ac3fe179ae93223fae3e126d7c31c8b2.jpg

• Like 12

• RMweb Gold

153373_Looe_26032008

Further west still, here is 153375 at the end of the line, Looe. March 2008.

158709 & 158716_Forsinard_26012006_2

Off to the other end of the British Isles, 158709 waits patiently for 158716 to clear the section north of Forsinard. January 2006.

I wonder if it is actually possible to travel the length of the UK rail network solely by DMU? (by that I mean traditional DMU-Sprinter/Super Sprinter/Turbostar etc, excluding HSTs, Voyagers, IETs & derivatives)

Edited by rodent279
  • Like 11

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, because I know these two photos are not really "in the landscape", but this seems the most appropriate thread. Here are prototype Sprinters 150001 & 150002, at Reading during the rebuilding works, and at Bristol Temple Meads respectively.

I believe these two (in my view) historically important units are still going, though not with GWR anymore, and I hope that when they are withdrawn, either the NRM has the nous to claim one, or someone else preserves one. As the prototypes of several hundred units that have carried millions of people on their daily grind for over 3 decades now, I think they deserve it.

150001_Reading_28102013

150002_BTM_31072017

• Like 7

10 hours ago, rodent279 said:

I wonder if it is actually possible to travel the length of the UK rail network solely by DMU? (by that I mean traditional DMU-Sprinter/Super Sprinter/Turbostar etc, excluding HSTs, Voyagers, IETs & derivatives)

Thurso-Inverness-Glasgow (avoiding Scotrail's new short HSTs), then via Dumfries-Carlisle-Settle-Leeds, then a Northern service to Sheffield-Nottingham, then an XC 170 all the way to Newport, then Bristol and onwards (avoiding GW's new short HSTs).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, eastwestdivide said:

Thurso-Inverness-Glasgow (avoiding Scotrail's new short HSTs), then via Dumfries-Carlisle-Settle-Leeds, then a Northern service to Sheffield-Nottingham, then an XC 170 all the way to Newport, then Bristol and onwards (avoiding GW's new short HSTs).

Not that it's something I'm in a rush to do, but someone on here might!

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
12 minutes ago, rodent279 said:

Not that it's something I'm in a rush to do, but someone on here might!

If I was doing a 7-day All-Line Rover, that would be a tempting way to spend two of them, just to say you'd done it.

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, eastwestdivide said:

Whilst not impossible it's certainly a lot harder than it used to be to do the bit on the Great Western! Even a year ago a number of services between Bristol and Deon/Cornwall were units but most are now short HSTs or IETs. The difficulty is Taunton - Exeter. The Bristol 'local' services only cover as far as Taunton and to get you down to Exeter it's usually IETs/Voyagers. 

Today, for example, you could only have done it on two services; 2C07 0644 Bristol TM - Penzance (so you could clearly do it all the way on this) which was a pair of 158s and 2C97 23:06 Bristol TM - Exeter SD which is a turbo.

Whilst there will be more services from the May TT I think most are short HSTs on the longer runs as the 150s are confined to branchlines and the 158s primarily running in Devon & Cornwall with moves up to Bristol really for exams and cycling of the fleet.

Sorry, a bit off topic but I thought I'd chuck my two penneth into the theoretical challenge!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Afroal05 said:

Whilst not impossible it's certainly a lot harder than it used to be to do the bit on the Great Western! Even a year ago a number of services between Bristol and Deon/Cornwall were units but most are now short HSTs or IETs. The difficulty is Taunton - Exeter. The Bristol 'local' services only cover as far as Taunton and to get you down to Exeter it's usually IETs/Voyagers. 

Today, for example, you could only have done it on two services; 2C07 0644 Bristol TM - Penzance (so you could clearly do it all the way on this) which was a pair of 158s and 2C97 23:06 Bristol TM - Exeter SD which is a turbo.

Whilst there will be more services from the May TT I think most are short HSTs on the longer runs as the 150s are confined to branchlines and the 158s primarily running in Devon & Cornwall with moves up to Bristol really for exams and cycling of the fleet.

Sorry, a bit off topic but I thought I'd chuck my two penneth into the theoretical challenge!

Yes, I was also worried by the stretch south from Inverness, and I think those short HSTs are deployed on Inverness-Aberdeen services too. However, a quick look at today's realtimetrains shows at least 3 services south from Inverness via Aviemore that are 170s.

Anyway, back to photos of DMUs in the landscape

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These photos were taken from a walk on the Malvern hills today.

This unit has just passed under the hills, heading north into Malvern;

dmu1.jpg.6ebc5986de77a4264aa9da207ca064c7.jpg

This has just left Malvern, heading north;

dmu2.jpg.e196e541bafd5cd55cd465d2f7eaaef1.jpg

Leaving Malvern, heading south;

dmu4.jpg.1cbea75b74b37475c2fa4b2d01847d30.jpg

And approaching Colwall from the south;

dmu3.jpg.9d4c2b4a6e3a09d208309a433eb40a19.jpg

I can't positively ID the unit types but I'm sure others will be able to. 

Glorious day for walking today, not too warm but very little breeze, really made it feel like coming out of lockdown.

Graham

• Like 15

• RMweb Premium

Very nice @dagrizz; these really are long shots.  The location is a little familiar - I'd often wondered about any railway views from the top - as I used to sometimes work in the building top right of the third photo.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Northmoor said:

Very nice @dagrizz; these really are long shots.  The location is a little familiar - I'd often wondered about any railway views from the top - as I used to sometimes work in the building top right of the third photo.

Thanks, I use to have an SLR with a variety of lenses, but there would not be a long tom amongst them if I went up the hills. As I got older I became fed up with carting around weighty and cumbersome gear so I invested in a travel zoom compact (Panasonic TZ-70) which weighs little and will fit in my trouser pocket. It gives a zoom range of 24-720 (in 35mm terms) and though it will not win any prizes for picture quality, it means I can always have a camera on me and I can get a shot of whatever is of interest, near or far.

The best camera is the one you have with you. 

Graham

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/02/2021 at 15:48, 4630 said:

*  :offtopic: My mispronunciations when new to the area also included 'Todd Morden' for Todmorden, which apparently is pronounced by locals as 'Todmurden'.  And of course, I also slipped up with the well known 'Slay Thwait' for Slaithwaite which, although the locals disagree sometimes, the consensus is with 'Sla-wit'. 

Try Luddenden Foot....

And there's no "d" in the pronunciation of Bradford. More like Bratfort with a soft "t"

• Agree 2

• 2 weeks later...

A Thames Turbo crossing the Evenlode by North Leigh Roman Villa back in 2015, when we still had 3-car DMU's* on the Cotswold line:

1975155679_ThamesTurbocrossingEvenlodebridgeatNorthLeighP1090124.JPG.7ef6f5b123b88b0a25e321191e8177f1.JPG

* We have them back today (9th May) standing in for the grounded IET's this weekend.  Doesn't stop Real Time Trains calling them Electric Multiple Units - news to me that the Cotswold line has been electrified!

Edited by eastglosmog
Add some up to date info.
  • Like 8