Removeable Coal Loads

• RMweb Gold

Does anyone have a tip on making removeable coal loads for private owner wagons thats neat and easy to remove.I want to model mine [no pun intended]in empty and full mode and want a quick way of removing them without taking the wagons off the track.

Does anyone have a tip on making removeable coal loads for private owner wagons thats neat and easy to remove.I want to model mine [no pun intended]in empty and full mode and want a quick way of removing them without taking the wagons off the track.

Paul Windle uses a very quick system, on his layout Moorton Bottom Yard, with the coal fixed to a base the size of the wagon with a metal disc (Ferrous) glued to the underside of the base. ?  A magnet on a stick allows him to remove the coal load very easily.

Peter

We did ours by cutting a suitable piece of foam (you could use wood or layered cardboard), chamfer one edge on the bottom to facilitate removal and carve the top to a curved profile. Now add neat PVA, crushed coal, once dry add a sealing layer of PVA - coal dust been nasty stuff

DSCI1559.jpg

cheers

steve

In N gauge I have used a piece of balsa wood cut to clear the wagon base & correct height for the full load, fixed a piece of card full size of the inside wagon top to the balsa with a drawing pin, then covered the card top with pva and granulated sugar. The drawing pin gives a nice dome to the "coal" and painted black resembles coal without the mess of crushing. A magnet easily removes the load in your fiddle yard.

Maurice C.

Archived