Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s. 1950s too?

steve1

• 2 weeks later...

The intention is to use 3-link couplings on the layout and this afternoon I did a 'reach test' to where the furthest siding is likely to be. Set up as below and found no trouble in using the couplings, even in poor light. Very pleased by this discovery.

post-143-0-86836000-1533937738_thumb.jpg

steve

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Call it stasis, call it inertia. I wanted to get on with it but, somehow, I never quite did.

Then, this pm, a combination of spare time and. a CD of a Margery Allingham mystery, I actually made some progress with the track. Both of the other 2 sidings have been cut to length and the copperclad sections soldered on. Then the one closest to the front of layout has been laid.

post-143-0-96077500-1537717751_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-03169000-1537717766_thumb.jpg

When that has set, the centre and final road will be laid...hopefully before the inertia sets in again...

steve

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

To get the power from the sector plate to each siding needs, obviously, a feed to each set of rails. This could be done in various ways but I have chosen the following method.

The 'far' rails are ganged together so power to one goes to all. The black wires in this image show how this done. Sorry if it's a bit dark.

post-143-0-72560400-1538579827_thumb.jpg

To pass power to the 'near' rail and lock the track in place, I have used a sliding bolt type arrangement using a hard steel wire 'bolt' into a section of square brass tube. As shown below.

Clearly I need to have some sort of arrangement to get power to the 'far' rail from the sector plate. The current idea is some sort of flexible plug and socket arrangement as the whole fiddleyard is detachable.

I shall consult our esteemed ERFG sparks Judge Dread when I ask him (nicely) if he will wire up the point for me. When sees the boards he will, no doubt, have comments to make on the state of my soldering...

steve

post-143-0-99126100-1538580178_thumb.jpg

Edited by steve1
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The socket for the common return on the baseboard has now been installed. Many thanks to Judge Dread for the ready wired socket and ally mount!

A similar socket will be added to sector plate, so a lead between the two carries the current from the controller to the baseboard.

post-143-0-42987500-1540832017_thumb.jpg

Thanks for looking.

steve

Edited by steve1

The socket for the common return on the baseboard has now been installed. Many thanks to Judge Dread for the ready wired socket and ally mount!

A similar socket will be added to sector plate, so a lead between the two carries the current from the controller to the baseboard.

attachicon.gifIMG_1628.JPG

Thanks for looking.

steve

Looking very good Steve, please keep the mojo going.

John

The final wiring has been completed. Thanks must go to Judge Dread for the alloy angle and the connection wire which has enabled this to be achieved.

The layout now runs, so, things can move on the scenic side. The track will be the first area of attack, with both ballast and infill being employed.

post-143-0-92840400-1541424601_thumb.jpg

post-143-0-78165300-1541424517_thumb.jpg

Sadly I cannot upload the video as RMWeb doesn't like it

steve

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

And here's what happens when a part finished layout is left lying about in the ERFG gang hut...

Still work to be done but it's a giant leap forward for the project, thanks to the Group's efforts.

steve

IMG_20200302_210513 (2).jpg

• Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Well the layout ran pretty well thankfully, with only a few minor issues. I have started a list of things to be done and hopefully a lot of these can be achieved before it's next outing at Howden in two weeks time. 

I now have a RTP Nissen Hut for the farm shop that will do for now and some instant hedging for the site.

Thanks are due to Ian for the show invite and Robin & James on the DEMU stand, not only for coffee runs and operating help but for loading up. This was especially difficult due the Peugeot's rear door refusing to open! This made getting the layout into the car somewhat of trial. Many thanks guys!

steve

IMG_0305.JPG

IMG_0306.JPG

IMG_0307.JPG

Edited by steve1
Added images
  • Like 7

Really like this layout. I like the hardstanding which enables a variety of stock to be run and also I recon with some minor changes in vehicles different era's could be run. 

There's also something appealing about mainline diesels shunting a few wagons around. 

Great stuff :)

• Thanks 1