Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s. 1950s too?

steve1

On ‎04‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 11:05, steve1 said:

Starting on the sheds. The sides will be clad in Evergreen siding and have textured plastic roofs.

steve

B6E1CDD1-6236-459B-96E0-9B479C4F3E2E.jpeg

Looking good Steve1

• Thanks 1

On ‎03‎/‎03‎/‎2020 at 06:51, steve1 said:

And here's what happens when a part finished layout is left lying about in the ERFG gang hut...

Still work to be done but it's a giant leap forward for the project, thanks to the Group's efforts.

steve

IMG_20200302_210513 (2).jpg

Impressive scenery here Steve1

• Thanks 1

The freight  building has turned into a total waste of foamcore and Evergreen siding; basically it's cr*p. It's been abandoned and a totally new version needs to be planned.

There has been a bit of ground cover and scenic detailing added but not enough to warrant any photos. A cafe for the garden centre, 'The Happy Carrot',  is almost finished, which is something. A Scale Model Scenery office is also slowly coming together.

To be honest, I'm near stalling on the layout entirely and am looking at doing another (!) boxfile to revive myself.

steve

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

The freight  building has turned into a total waste of foamcore and Evergreen siding; basically it's cr*p. It's been abandoned and a totally new version needs to be planned.

There has been a bit of ground cover and scenic detailing added but not enough to warrant any photos. A cafe for the garden centre, 'The Happy Carrot',  is almost finished, which is something. A Scale Model Scenery office is also slowly coming together.

To be honest, I'm near stalling on the layout entirely and am looking at doing another (!) boxfile to revive myself.

steve

All the joys of modelling this Steve,ups and downs along the way...

• Agree 2

Thanks mainly to Saxokid's encouragement some positivity has now returned to the RFS project.

I came across the resin flat looking for point levers in my stores and have made this mock-up using its dimensions.It will have plastic sheet sides of some sort and a suitable roof. There will be a central pillar (or wall maybe) that isn't on the mock-up as yet.

steve

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

• Like 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Glad you've got your mojo back Steve, I'm looking forward to seeing the new building, I'm sure it will look just as good as the rest of the layout. :)

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

On ‎07‎/‎05‎/‎2020 at 14:35, steve1 said:

Thanks mainly to Saxokid's encouragement some positivity has now returned to the RFS project.

I came across the resin flat looking for point levers in my stores and have made this mock-up using its dimensions.It will have plastic sheet sides of some sort and a suitable roof. There will be a central pillar (or wall maybe) that isn't on the mock-up as yet.

steve

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0380.JPG

Thanks Steve your very kind sir!!

Coming along great from these pictures again.

Looking forward to another  top update...:senile::good:

• Like 1

Given that this shed will be set hard against the backscene, I have been wondering whether to:

a) Add a solid back of plasticard (or thick card), or

b) Fix it to the actual backscene.

If a), then I have a sheet of 'mirror' plasticard and wondered about using that.

The structure will be lit by an LED let in from the back.

Any thoughts chaps/chapesses?

Cheers

steve

• Like 1

I like the idea of using the mirror, I've seen that done o good effect.

What about a couple of vans parked in the shed with just the ends sticking out and a roller shutter just above them limiting the view in the shed. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

The sector plate had developed a slight warp, which was affecting how the tracks lined up vertically. As you can guess, to rebuild the whole thing would be complete nightmare, so a solution needed to be found.

Some  sort of bracing would do it but what? Any sort of wood would be likely to assume the same curvature, in sympathy with the existing timber. However, metal, in the correct format, should avoid this happening. The answer was L shaped aluminium strip. The nearest B&Q to me has re-opened so off I went this morning and found just what I needed,  a metre of 1.5cm x 1cm ally strip.

This was sawn to length and screwed securely down, as can be seen in the attached pic. It improved the situation but is not a complete cure. Some judicious rail height adjustment is still needed but much test running with an 08, with and without stock, has shown the way ahead. A Class 70 sailed over everything but being long and heavy it would...

The other pic shows the Scale Model Scenery 'wood' panel fencing in place, plus the test loco!

Thanks for looking.

steve

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

• Like 5

Still some things going on. Finished both parts of the Scale Model Scenery office but stalled on the staircase which is a total PITA,

Oh, the Electric Inspector decided to check the LED lighting.

steve

BF63AB04-C106-44C6-A1D3-FB420F4AE500.jpeg

5CDB5373-970A-4D42-A38C-AEBB7093FCE4.jpeg

• Like 8

The front of the shed has now been cut to size.

I also discovered a Plate kit that I built back in the 1980s that still looks acceptable to me now, so it will be going into service.

steve

34BA4A7D-0AEB-4079-82BF-67F4072F004B.jpeg

• Like 2

There has been some ground cover laid but that’s a bit dull. More interesting is the progress on the tin shed.

Sides have been added and a central divider created. It is only temporarily in place in the pic as some tweaking is still needed. But this is major progress anyway.

steve

266F8AAC-B95B-454A-BD84-3DAEC745CAB0.jpeg

947B7567-3037-487A-B0B3-9F884384DF22.jpeg

7CAE3006-256B-4DA4-BC95-891BB4958791.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• 8 months later...

Inspired by the prototype image showing the back of a notice board I saw in our village, first pic, I painted the rear of a sign that will appear on the layout, second pic.

steve

A1E42BB7-BED6-404E-BF89-F5665EC575F8.jpeg

E8EF2DF3-8F07-420A-B850-FFC3B0E57FE3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

• steve1 changed the title to Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s: Update March 2021
  • 3 months later...
  • steve1 changed the title to Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s: Update 13th July 2021
  • 2 months later...
  • steve1 changed the title to Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s: Update 28/9/21
  • 3 weeks later...

Work continues apace ahead of the layout’s appearance at Caistorail next weekend, 23 & 24 Oct.

The freight shed has been painted and card templates made for the roof panels. Areas of ground cover have improved and other scenery upgrades made or are in progress.

The locos have all been tested and the track cleaned.

One new item of stock will be in service. This limited edition van has been ‘devalued’ :D by being weathered and 3 link couplings added. Some work still to do but it will be running at the show.

steve

C0802A08-1025-4654-ABA0-511AFD71825A.jpeg

• Like 3

• steve1 changed the title to Rectory Farm Sidings BR 80s/00s: Update 16/10/21
  • 2 weeks later...

I was a little apprehensive about doing the show and how the layout would be received. The enforced 18 month layoff from exhibiting meant I was a little rusty with preparation and such things as using 3 link couplings again too.

In the end, the 2 days whizzed by and a great time was had. Thanks go to @Bungus the Fogeymanfor operating assistance and some useful ideas for improvements. He also confirmed my thoughts about new ops showing new operating twists.

There is still an amount of work to do and, a fair amount of stock and locos that need 3 links fitted but the impetus is there.

Was it worth it? 3 potential exhibition invites I reckon says yes...

steve

Tunnel vision

IMG_2369.JPG

Edited by steve1
  • Like 5