LNWR Society Modelling competition - framework and dates

Rue d', I'd be surprised if there was any objection to modelling based on interpolation from available records where records are unavailable.

Not what I was bothered about. Aim of many of these competitions is to increase interest in a subject and hopefully membership. If you set the bar too high, then some are put off and don't enter, and more importantly don't get intested in the particular railway being promoted. 

• RMweb Gold

Not what I was bothered about. Aim of many of these competitions is to increase interest in a subject and hopefully membership. If you set the bar too high, then some are put off and don't enter, and more importantly don't get intested in the particular railway being promoted. 

I hope no ones put off by my work as i'm rubbish - especially painting!

Kev.

Wordswell forever: Just shows how inclusive we are! You forgot to mention the LBSR tank engine and L&NWR coaching stock in Cornwall too. :)

It was a nice shot of NER 2-4-0 No 1464 heading south from Penrith station's CK&P platforms with a train made up of NER stock for the Eden Valley line. See https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1887979597926042&set=gm.205805070107422&type=3&theater&ifg=1 

Modelling Help

The Society has been adding to its online archive by creating eBooks from existing material. This link takes you to an eBook created from the PDFs listing the Society's Drawings previously mentioned by Jol: http://fliphtml5.com/neyn/menw Its fully searchable via the box on the top right and you can print a copy if you so wish. Use the Spy Glass with + sign to zoom in or out.

Mike M

Not that familiar with Face Tube, but I failed to see the photograph of No.1464 via the link you kindly posted. 

This has piqued my interest - don't know why as I'm died-in-the-wool Midland (as Compound2632 knows...!), plus I've got more than enough on my plate. But a few wagons won't hurt will it....?!

Considering Wagons got pretty much everywhere at certain times a few would mix in very well on midland territory, much like I have built some midland wagons for my eventual layout

David

LNWRs Chairman

• Like 1

Indeed. 

I was going to suggest the Jol be barred from entering to give us mortals a chance :)

I shall not be entering the competition. It is hoped that it will promote modelling of the LNWR and introduce new participants to the Premier Line. As I have already been there and done that, it seems proper to let the rest of you have a go. 

However, I'll be happy to offer advice, guidance, and constructive criticism if asked. 

Jol

I have sent Kev a message saying we have been waiting for our Webbmaster to set up an email address. I think he's got lost on holiday. As a temporary measure, please register your interest to projects@lnwrs.org.uk

BTW - because of our tardiness we will send you a few screensavers! All are LNWR locomotives but what period would you like, LNWR or LMS.

Best of luck

Mike

It's taken longer than we anticipated, but the registration arrangements are now operational. If you intend to put in a competition entry please register it using the following e-mail.

lnwr-competition@lnwrs.org.uk

When you send your email, please include the following information:

your name

your RMWeb name

your address - all logged entries will be put into a draw for a Gerald Broom LNWR print, so we need to know where to send it

a short description/title of the entry

the category it is entered in

the period being modelled

whether the entry is for this year's (ending Jan 2019) competition or next year's. We appreciate that your model of the north end of Crewe station in Scale7 will take a little longer.

• Like 4

Humm might be interested in this as I have an LNWR project on the go at the moment, sadly waiting for transfers... when ever they are available again from HMRS.

Which ones are you after - PM me.

I like a challenge!

Ok I don't, but i did enjoy the 2012 RMWeb Innovation Challenge tremendously and it pushed me to actually produce something useful! - My very useful and enjoyable "Smart Driver Board".

So with the deadline firmly in mind, (forcing me to actually work on the project), I have desided to enter the LNWR Society Modelling Challenge with a submission of an LNWR Type4 size J all wooden cabin (8ft cabin floor above rail height) working Signal Box - not mechanically but electronically.

I have been researching it for about a year or so now but have not actually started on the model (gluing, building - let alone - painting!) but I have completed the control system design and electronics design, build and test.

I want the box to actually run my 10' by 1' work in progress layout called "Tenbione".

attachicon.gifSB_260718a.png

attachicon.gifSB_260718b.png

attachicon.gifSB_260718c.png

(Note - These drawings have a lot of construction lines on them, for now, but will be removed soon.)

I will start a new thread with all this in plus more.

Kev.

Just thinking still about entering...and flicking through my copy of LNWR Portrayed, and wondering about what (if anything) to do, would it be bad form to attempt a signal box too?!

• RMweb Gold

Just thinking still about entering...and flicking through my copy of LNWR Portrayed, and wondering about what (if anything) to do, would it be bad form to attempt a signal box too?!

Certainly not, welcome aboard!

I'm sure we have different ideas from each other and whilst Webb produced "standards", all the boxes I've looked at are different anyway!

Also, although not a race, I'm sure a little extra motivation could help us both.

By the way, "LNWR Portrayed" is good but "L.N.W.R. SIGNALLING" is far more useful.

(See the second post of my build thread for author / ISBN details.)

Kev.

Thanks Kev, I’m still trying to weigh up whether I really have the time but I can feel myself getting sucked in....!! Does the other book you kindly mention have more drawings etc in it?

• RMweb Gold

The book "A Pictorial Record of L.N.W.R. SIGNALLING" does not so much have more overall drawings but it does have more material in it. (Detail drawings, tables and text.)

Both books compliment each other very well but I will say that you can never have enough sources of information

I am going to have to interoperate extrapolate guess quite a lot of design detail!

post-12815-0-74785400-1533369159_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-79500800-1533369058_thumb.jpg

post-12815-0-42404500-1533369120_thumb.jpg

Kev.

As Kev has suggested in post #65, LNWR Portrayed and LNWR Signalling complement each other, but I would opt for Signalling if only getting one book. Both are usually available second hand, and could be sold on after the event to recover cost.

Some years ago the LNWRS contacted Peco to discuss reprinting the Jack Nelson book. It appears that the original material could not be located, so no progress was made at that time.

In the absence of the original artwork, it would not be impossible to reproduce LNWR Portrayed, as it is, from a good clean copy as it is mainly black and white line drawings.  However, received wisdom is that there are errors and the question remains how and by whom should these be addressed.

Peco would probably not object to the LNWRS undertaking this.

I have a copy of Portrayed. The Type 5 box looks interesting. I’m guessing the Signalling book would add info on the details missing from the drawings? Not knowing anything about the LNW, where Type 5’s common? There’s also not a lot of info on colour schemes in Portrayed.

N

First of all, like Jol, I'm not entering the competition, as I agree it's there to promote further interest in the LNWR.
In respect of those thinking about signal cabins etc., you don't have to go for the 'Standard' later box designs, there are also the earlier designs like the Type 2 of 1873 at Bulkington, which combined with the earlier style slotted post signals, most of which had been replaced by 1900,  would give you something a little different to the bog standard later images of the LNWR.  Just a thought.
Well done to RMweb(b) & LNWRSoc for this venture.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Page 64 in Portrayed shows a cut-away perspective drawing of a Type 5. How about a model similarly cut away to show all the innards?! I’m thinking a whacky scale like 1/2” / ft...

That's certainly different to mine!  ;)

LNWR Portrayed has these cut-away 3D views but LNWR SIGNALLING does not. Instead LNWR SIGNALLING has many more detailed drawings but both volumes are not, by any stretch of the imagination, complete.

What would it be built from, plasticard?

Kev.

That's certainly different to mine!  ;)

LNWR Portrayed has these cut-away 3D views but LNWR SIGNALLING does not. Instead LNWR SIGNALLING has many more detailed drawings but both volumes are not, by any stretch of the imagination, complete.

What would it be built from, plasticard?

Kev.

I think the vast majority of it would be wood at that size. Not as big as yours, but 6” x 12” o/a.