"Fake" Underpass - Any ideas please

I have a small 00 layout (6'x4') with a double oval track with sidings and platform loop etc.

I had a problem getting passengers from the main station building onto the first platform (from there, there is a footbridge). To solve this I used 2x Metcalfe Platform Subways. I did not want to cut holes in the baseboard to accommodate these, so I trimmed the base walls and handrail and drew an illusion of steps going down. It works quite well and will place a couple of trimmed passengers on the "steps" as if they are walking up the stairs to the platform and down from the main station building.

I have a "village" with shops etc in the centre of the layout with a main street. The trouble is, there is nowhere for the cars to go and I'm trying to think of of a way of creating the illusion of an underpass under the track with cars disappearing behind side walls. I have not thought this through yet and my poor old brain has got a bit stuck. I thought I could use downloadable walls from modelrailwayscenery.com but that's as far as I've got. Just an idea.

If anyone has done something similar it would be great if they could post pictures. Or, if anyone has ideas.... I'd be very grateful

Many thanks.

John 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone!

I already have a level crossing with pedestrian gate to get to the main station! The outside track is right on the edge of the board and hence no room for a level crossing. I am going to experiment with these (below, Metcalfe kit)) to see if can create something effective. The idea is for the vehicles to disappear (never to be seen again?).

Nice pictures, by the way!PO248.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Roads are built on viaducts too. If you've got enough space I would suggest a road viaduct at one end of the layout crossing one end of the oval with a ramp down to within the oval, this will hide the sharp curves of the oval as well. You could also cover one end curve with a tunnel.

Roads are built on viaducts too. If you've got enough space I would suggest a road viaduct at one end of the layout crossing one end of the oval with a ramp down to within the oval, this will hide the sharp curves of the oval as well. You could also cover one end curve with a tunnel.

Thanks. Great idea. I'll ponder it.

I seemed to have started a Frinton frolick, somehow!