TRANSITION COLIN T GIFFORD

paul 27

• RMweb Premium
On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2019 at 20:13, locoholic said:

I remember 40 years ago when I bought Decline of Steam I was annoyed by the lack of information in the captions. I was only 14. All these years later I've learned enough from other books to be able to guess most of the details in Transition, and I can just enjoy the images.

Mine arrived this week and I have to say it's the first book in a long time where the pictures have told enough of the story without needing detailed captions. Normally I'd agree that i want the numbers of the locos and the trains they were working etc., but with this book they somehow seem superfluous.

• Agree 3

The double-page spread of Doncaster (photograph 26) was. I think. praised by someone for the wealth of interest in it. I was somewhat puzzled from which vantage point it was taken but, after consulting the National Library of Scotland maps website, the only possibility seems to be the top of the water softener adjacent to the lane under the railway at the north-west end of Decoy Sidings - what does anyone else think?

OS 25" map of 1939 - https://maps.nls.uk/view/125650246  

Incidentally, the layout had obviously changed substantially between 1939 and 1965, the tracks into the ex LNWR/GER shed having been lifted in the interim, but the shed still seems to be standing in 1965 (building with northlight roof at extreme right).

The other thing that puzzles me is the wide angle of view which strikes me as being far greater than that of the 75mm lens on a Rolleiflex 6x6 TLR - I suppose the scans of two negatives could have been merged but, if so, the join is undetectable.

Bill

Edited by Bill Jamieson

• 10 months later...

I should perhaps have started a new thread for this extract below from the KRM website.  While this is obviously far from new,  I don't think the possibility of another book from CTG has been mentioned on this forum previously. In the current circumstances one would hope that David Postle has found the time to beaver away optimising the scans - no doubt we will find out in due course!

Bill

'Transition' was officially published on May 19th and was in great demand from the first day, so much so that the complete print run was sold in ten weeks.  We are very grateful to those who did buy the book and hope that you have enjoyed browsing through the wonderful photographs that Colin Gifford took of that period.

We do not intend to reprint the book.  Rather we would like to bring some more of Colin's work into the public arena as there are so many photographs he took which have never been seen and surely deserve a wider audience.  We are currently planning a new book with Colin which will hopefully be accompanied by an exhibition of his work here at Kidderminster sometime in the Spring/Summer of 2020.  When the plans have taken a bit more shape, more details will be made available, hopefully sometime just after Christmas 2019 depending on progress, of what we are producing and when it is hoped to publish it.

Edited by Bill Jamieson
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...