The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any ideas what this is?

kintbury jon

Hello all,

A colleague of mine is clearing out her late husbands' garage.  He was a hoarder and she is working her way through clearing what there is.  She came across the following item.  Can anyone shed some light on it?

It reads "Cast by Mr J E Binks, Member, Southern Area Board, Eastleigh Locomotive Works, 13th May 1955."

It weighs around 800 grams and is around 5 inches diameter with a chunky piece of glass inside.

post-1105-0-77646100-1532523900_thumb.jpg

post-1105-0-86324100-1532523957_thumb.jpg

• RMweb Premium

I guess it could be an 'apprentice piece', a paper weight in the form of a railway wheel tyre. If the gentleman worked on the railways, would the date be correct for completion of his apprenticeship?

• RMweb Premium

Could will have been presented to this chap...

http://www.shawx.com/JohnEdwardBinks.htm

At the bottom of the long biography document linked of it is a newspaper cutting announcing his death and listing that he was appointed to the southern area board in 1955. No idea why it says "cast by".

The union might be able to throw light on it.

Cheers

Dave (who clearly has nothing better to do but search for stuff!)

Could will have been presented to this chap...

http://www.shawx.com/JohnEdwardBinks.htm

At the bottom of the long biography document linked of it is a newspaper cutting announcing his death and listing that he was appointed to the southern area board in 1955. No idea why it says "cast by".

The union might be able to throw light on it.

Cheers

Dave (who clearly has nothing better to do but search for stuff!)

Many thanks Dave.  I have found an email address for what looks like his grandson so I have sent a photo of it to see whether he knows anything about it.  The intention is to offer it to the family.

• Like 2