Heritage Railways ROUTINELY using pre-Nationalisation Coaches?

justin1985

• RMweb Premium

The Knotty Trust is also raising funds for the overhaul of the remaining 1st class body so there will be a 4 coach set in a few years time.

After which one hopes they will move on to their really interesting Midland carriages...

• RMweb Premium

Not too clued up on pre Mk1 stock but I believe an LMS non corridor third appears regularly on the Peak railway at Matlock. 

http://lmsca.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/7828-BW-768x442.jpg

It's an open third - gangwayed, but non-corridor in the sense of being open with end vestibules rather than having compartments and a side corridor. It's a particularly interesting vehicle recording a key step in the evolution of the Midland Railway's dining carriage layout into the ubiquitous open carriage of today. Built in some quantity in the 1920s/30s by the LMS.

Edited by Compound2632

Well for anyone wanting to see the K&ESR vintage set in action it now looks like (for various reasons) it will be in operation from now until the end of August.

When I shunted the set yesterday it comprised of the following vehicles:

SECR Birdcage No.1100

SECR 4 Comp[artment Saloon No.2947

SECR Brake Third No.3062

Met Coach No.353

Great Eastern six wheel Luggage Brake Third No.197

SECR Family Saloon no.177

We also anticipate the District Coach No.100 entering service later this year giving the unique opportunity to see two Underground 4 wheel coaches together. Keep an eye on our website for more details.

If anyone has any questions about the fleet or running then give me a shout!

Andy

• Like 3

Not quite on topic but I do like a good brake can ride !

It's the open air and views that you get but as lines get larger, they seem to run less often. Yes I know capacity is an issue but it makes a welcome change.

The GWR compartment stock on the South Devon is extremely comfortable !

On the Isle of Wight Steam Railway today  (and tomorrow)

3 pre-grouping  sets running.

1)  4  off  bogies,  (all LBSC)

2)  5  off 4 wheelers,  (2 LBSC, 2 LCDR, 1 NLR)

3)  2  off 4 wheeler  Push-pull set  (2 LCDR)

Hauled by 3 Victorian  locomotives  (1 LSWR, 2 LBSC)

All with an Isle of Wight history except 1 bogie (which is of an IOW type but not an actual IOW vehicle)

Pete

On the SVR this week we have the only full LMS set of coaches running alongside our Gresleys with the Toplights/ bowend set on a charter and a set of colletts + 1 hawksworth out on a footplate experience later in the week. We couldnt survive without our pre nationalisation coaches. It should be noted that a few of our Staniers are actually BR built.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

On the SVR this week we have the only full LMS set of coaches running alongside our Gresleys with the Toplights/ bowend set on a charter and a set of colletts + 1 hawksworth out on a footplate experience later in the week. We couldnt survive without our pre nationalisation coaches. It should be noted that a few of our Staniers are actually BR built.

As are 2 of the hawkesworths. But does not devalue their historic value one iota IMHO

Phil

I was a bit disappointed that this thread is 'Heritage Railways routinely using pre-Nationalisation Coaches?'  When I saw the preview I couldn't see the full word Coaches and thought it read ''Heritage Railways routinely using pre-Nationalisation Coal?' which would have been a very interesting read   :jester:

I think you will find that the coal is a lot older than that.

Geoff Endacott

One of the Middleton Railway coaches has an open veranda which is larger than the ones on brake vans. Yesterday as it was warm again I suggested to the passengers (not customers) they would be better traveling with the climate controlled environment of the veranda.

• RMweb Gold

I was a bit disappointed that this thread is 'Heritage Railways routinely using pre-Nationalisation Coaches?'  When I saw the preview I couldn't see the full word Coaches and thought it read ''Heritage Railways routinely using pre-Nationalisation Coal?' which would have been a very interesting read   :jester:

I would have thought all coal is prenationalisation, by a few million years ?