Tony Atkins' "GWR Goods" series

Harlequin

• RMweb Gold

Tony Atkin's informative series of books published by Crecy started with, "GWR Goods Train Working, Volume 1: From Development to Guard Duties".

Followed by, "GWR Goods Train Working, Volume 2: From Control Offices to Exceptional Loads".

On July 31st Crecy will publish, "GWR Goods Cartage", which is referred to as, "The fourth volume in a successful series".

So, I'm sure you can see what my question is... Where is Volume 3? It doesn't show up in Google searches. There is a hint that, "Great Western Docks and Marine", by the same author might be considered to be volume 3 but it doesn't seem to quite fit with the other books.

• RMweb Gold

I would say that the docks book could be considered the third part, it is certainly part of the same "series".

Started with Wild Swan and GWR Goods Services, three books, introduction, part 2A and part 2B.

So really, Crecy's "volume 1" is part three(!!)

All of the Wild Swan books remain available, and offer a more detailed and "fastidious" approach than the subsequent books in the series, having benefitted from John Copsey's involvement with the text and Paul Karau's design flair and photographic resources.

That is not to "knock" the later books, the original approach is different, which is harder to carry off and quite likely less "commercial" in today's market as well.

So I do say well done to Tony for getting all the subsequent parts out through Noodle and now Crecy.

Simon Castens

Wild Swan Books Ltd

edited for gibberish

Edited by Not Jeremy
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Gold

Still waiting for "GWR Goods Cartage" to be published over two months after the initially stated date.

Does anyone know what's happening with it? It's not listed on the Crecy website any more, I notice...

Edit: Amazon says, "Expected by 10 Oct".

Edited by Harlequin

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I've also been scratching my head about this. It seems there are two volumes of the cartage book:

GWR Goods Cartage Vol 1 is stated as being available October 31 2018: http://www.crecy.co.uk/gwr-goods-cartage-volume-1

GWR Goods Cartage Vol 2 (same front page?!) will be available April 30, 2019: http://www.crecy.co.uk/gwr-goods-cartage-volume-2

Edited to clear up my confusion about dates.

Edited by Mikkel

• RMweb Gold

I'm quite looking forward to these, especially the first one which I hope will provide details on horse cartage and maybe even stabling arrangements - a pet subject of mine.

There are a couple of good books with photos and details of the GWR's cartage vehicles as such, but a more systematic overview of GWR cartage practices and their evolution would be very welcome.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold

Update: I got "GWR Goods Cartage, Volume 1: From Horses and Carts To Tractors and Trailers" in the post today. (Direct from Crecy.)

It hints at an answer to the question of the numbers that are present on the sides of all road vehicles ("fleet numbers") but we have to wait for Volume 2 for more conclusive info because it has a chapter entitled, "Livery and Vehicle Numbering".

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I also have it now, and like it. The focus is mainly on practices, which is useful. 

I had hoped it would also provide systematic overviews of the development of (i) GWR horse drawn vehicles and (ii) stable block styles (the latter being a special interest of mine). It doesn't really do that (although some interesting vehicle drawings are provided), nor do other existing books on the topics (including the Russell and Kelley books).

But I can see why: Those topics each merit an entire research effort and book in themselves, as I have found out.

Edited by Mikkel
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I also have it now, and like it. The focus is mainly on practices, which is useful. 

I had hoped it would also provide systematic overviews of the development of (i) GWR horse drawn vehicles and (ii) stable block styles (the latter being a special interest of mine). It doesn't really do that (although some interesting vehicle drawings are provided), nor do other existing books on the topics (including the Russell and Kelley books).

But I can see why: Those topics each merit an entire research effort and book in themselves, as I have found out.

Quite likely he got hold of a copy of the GWR Cartage Handbook and used that as a basis as there can't be many folk around nowadays who were involved in GWR cartage procedures.  And any of us who knew anything about BR cartage procedures will be getting on a bit seeing as they ceased to exist in the late 1960s  ;)

• RMweb Gold

Quite likely he got hold of a copy of the GWR Cartage Handbook and used that as a basis as there can't be many folk around nowadays who were involved in GWR cartage procedures.  And any of us who knew anything about BR cartage procedures will be getting on a bit seeing as they ceased to exist in the late 1960s   ;)

The book does feature extracts from various GWR instructions and records.

I like the instructions on how to interpret the telegraph code "Eagle": "If unable to deliver the following, dispose of to best advantage."

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • RMweb Premium
On 21/10/2018 at 22:26, Mikkel said:

I've also been scratching my head about this. It seems there are two volumes of the cartage book:

GWR Goods Cartage Vol 1 is stated as being available October 31 2018: http://www.crecy.co.uk/gwr-goods-cartage-volume-1

GWR Goods Cartage Vol 2 (same front page?!) will be available April 30, 2019: http://www.crecy.co.uk/gwr-goods-cartage-volume-2

Edited to clear up my confusion about dates.

It had rather passed me by that Vol 2 had appeared until I saw a copy at the Bristol show.

• Informative/Useful 2