GWR Junction Signals

Budgie

4 hours ago, sigtech said:

Hello gents, here are the Dapol instructions for the new GWR bracket signal, I have just installed the oo gauge lh bracket version on my layout 'Sproston'.

Hope this helps.

Regards

(SIGTECH)

Steve.

Scan_1.pdf 2.15 MB · 27 downloads Scan_2.pdf 2.24 MB · 17 downloads

Hi Steve.  That is extremely helpful.  Many thanks indeed.

Richard

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The new signals are very nice with the servo operation, I have unpluged the servos from the intrernal

board and connected them to a Megapoint servo controller to run on DCC, I hope they are going to revamp

the single post signal to servo so I can do the same with them.

Edited by gwrcollet
bad spelling
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Bought my left hander today.  First impressions are good.  It’s a neatly modelled signal with the railings and ladders looking first class, and includes switches, presumably passing contact, which the single arm versions didn’t, so I’m not complaining about the price. I doubt I could kit build a junction signal to this standard, never mind having it operating and lit. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Impressions are being validated; I've got the signal out of the box, plugged it into the base/servo unit, wired it up, and it all works, perfectly.  One criticism so far, shared with one of the single arm signals bought earlier this year; the ladder came away at the top, easily fixed with a spot of poly cement.  The servo system is impressive, and I'm liking the bounce; not exactly perfect but pretty good and there is much less of a 'motor driven' feeling to the return, and it looks more like it is being pulled back by the counterbalance as it should.

Problem now is mounting the signal.  Beneath the baseboard is a half inch gap and then a support shelf that will, together, be too much for the threaded part of the signal base to show through enough to plug properly into the servo unit.  I'm going to have to cut a good bit of the support shelf away in situ to accommodate the servo unit, and I'm wondering if re-siting the signal would be a better option.  Perhaps I can mount the whole thing above board for sighting reasons over the top of the road bridge, but any solution I can think of at the moment for that will be a bit contrived and I know I'll never be happy with it.  Most likely I'll just cut away the end of the support shelf.

• RMweb Gold

Following an impressive amount of faff with the underboard, which is not the signal's fault, the thing is now installed and working; Cwmdimbath's main signalling is complete.  This is a better product all round than the single post signals, with the servo unit making wiring up almost 'shake the box' easy, and the level of illumination much lower and more acceptable.  My power supply wasn't up to the job of operating all 4 signals, though, and the bracket signals are on a separate supply, so all are now functioning perfectly.  Well done Dapol!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

Does anyone know if the LH version has been released yet please? Everywhere seems to be out of stock, so I guess I've either missed out or its awaiting release.

***Edit*** it's in stock on Dapol website so guess its just been popular! 

Edited by Markn
  • Agree 1

• 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Well I've finally got it working, so I thought I would post what I found out, to help others

1 The small connectors to plug into Sw1 and Sw2 are really small and it's quite difficult to see what you doing when you are under the baseboard trying to plug it in.

2 I had a faulty connector  which took some finding since it was intermittent, so in the end I had to unplug the servo unit from the signal several times. Despite previous reports I had no problem separating the 2 units.

3. Putting it back was a different problem the forks on the signal have to slot over the servo arms and it too several goes to get this right. It is too easy for the signal arm to slide to the left of the servo arm. In fact If it hadn't of been in warranty I would have been tempted to drill a hole in the servo body to revel the position of the arms.

Having got it working it's now a case of don't touch and leave well alone!!

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

• 2 weeks later...

I was looking some help.   Would anyone have the dimensions of the control box that fits under the baseboard and the dimension from the centre of the hole that holds the signal and the left hand edge of the box?

Its just I would like to use one but my track is close to the edge of the baseboard. 

Hope this makes sense and thanks for any help in advance. 

• 3 months later...

Happy to report that I have one of these installed, and working fine after several months. One of the single post signals I ordered at the same time did however have to be returned after a short time, and was promptly refunded, thank you, Dapol, and since replaced.

Two things - I run them on 9v ac to reduce wear and tear, and the other interesting point is whereas the single ones are operated by an intermittent switch, the junction signals come with a spdt switch which remains on in either position. This is nice in that the switch position actually indicates if the arm is on or off, unlike the single ones.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

8 months down the line from my last post, and I am not going to be telling you that the junction signal, in almost daily use, is still functioning perfectly as that would be tempting fate, so I'm not saying it.  The two single post starter signals have given up the ghost, however; the lights still work and I am operating them by hand.  As they are near the control seat, this is not much of a problem, but my impression is that these signals are simply too delicate to withstand the rigours of frequent operation.  I was using a 5V supply so they haven't been overpowered; both began to make whirring noises and then gave up.  I won't be buying replacements, not at that price...

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

2 hours ago, The Johnster said:

both began to make whirring noises and then gave up

I recognise the issue.  If I recall correctly the instructions recommend you hold the arm (gently) in the down position while operating the signal and the gears should reengage. I have done this once or twice and it has been successful.

• Informative/Useful 1

• 1 year later...

I note that Duke 71000 has asked if there is any prospect of a home and distant on the one post being produced? I have several of these signals on my layout, including a junction; they work very well and I would welcome a twin signal. Any thoughts, Dapol?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Mick38 said:

I note that Duke 71000 has asked if there is any prospect of a home and distant on the one post being produced? I have several of these signals on my layout, including a junction; they work very well and I would welcome a twin signal. Any thoughts, Dapol?

I have a few of the junction signals but would like a home + distant signal or two.

I drive mine with a cheap Arduino Nano clone from DCC, works a treat, no need to get inside them or buy expensive Megapoints boards.

(four arms from one Nano)

• Informative/Useful 1