Andover Modelex 1st & 2nd September 2018

nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Andover Model Railway Club are pleased to announce their Annual 2 day exhibition MODELEX 2018 on;

Saturday 1st September 2016 10:00am to 5:00pm

Sunday 2nd September 2016 10:00am to 4:00pm

JOHN HANSON SCHOOL, FLORAL WAY, ANDOVER, HANTS SP10 3PB

John Hanson School is a wheelchair friendly venue

For further details and directions see www.andovermodelrailwayclub.co.uk

QUALITY LAYOUTS IN VARIOUS SCALES AND GAUGES

WIDE RANGE OF TRADERS

DEMONSTRATIONS

REFRESHMENTS

FREE PARKING

Details of Layouts attending:

2mm scale

Bodmin General

Longmoor

Stapleforth St Stephens

LLangerisech (9.42mm)

3mm scale

Winterwell on Fosse

4mm scale

Klive (OO)

London Road (Box) (OO)

Doddbury (OO)

High Offley (OOfs)

Oldshaw (EM)

Leicester Belgrave Road (OO)

Tidworth (OO)

Severn Ash (OO)

Folly Lane (OO)

Wickenbreux Road

Vale Quarry

7mm scale

O gauge test track

Green Pond Lane

Itchen End Goods Depot

Burnham Constable

Other

Merg - MERG Society

South Hants Model Auto Club - Competition cars, lorries and vans by SHMAC

Lynton and Barnstaple Railway - Society Stand by the Thames Valley Support Group

AMRC Club Stand - Club stand, info and secondhand items for sale

Weathering Demo & questions - Demonstration by Mick Bonwick

Modelling Card Buildings - Demonstration by John Barrett

Coach Building - Demonstration

Andover and District Model Engineering Society - Society Stand

Andover Dolls House and Miniatures Club - Club stand

Traders

Coastal DCC - DCC equipment and advice

Andover Sales AMRC - New and used models

Brian's Trains - Secondhand trains and books

Motorail - Buses cars and kits

JB's Model World - Storage systems, cases, paints

Kytes Lights - Lighting for all models

Neil Cresswell - New and used models

ABC Model Railways -American, British and Continental Models

Brunswick Railways - Precision paints, adhesives etc

Andy Lynch Railways - Pre-owned Model Railway equipment

Smith & Sons - Books

Amberley Services - Tools and 0 gauge items

Platform 3 - Layout design

Model Railway Bits - Scenics, trees, kits

Replica Railways - British outline models

Andover Model Railway Club is proud to support Hampshire and Isle of Wight Air Ambulance http://www.hiowaa.org

Edited by nickwood

• RMweb Gold

Hi

Looking forward to the show. For those who haven't seen it, Llangerisech is 2mm finescale with 9.42mm gauge track, in case the listing had you confused!

attachicon.gifIMG_0904.JPG

See you there.

Nigel

Thanks Nigel, listing has now been amended

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

Moorside will be replaced by Praa Sands, a small O gauge layout. 

Due to illness Burnham Constable has withdrawn. Fortunately we have found a replacement with another O gauge layout, Danbee.

• RMweb Gold

The organisers have had a tense couple of days due to late running essential maintenance works at the School. It is hoped that these works will be completed today and everything will go on as planned. However, depending on how the works progress today, it is also possible that the contractors may need to work on Saturday to complete their work. If this is the case then there may be some inconvenience experienced by visitors on Saturday, particularly in our ability to provide refreshments.

The works will not affect the traders and exhibitors attending.

We apologise in advance if any visitor to our show finds themselves inconvenienced in any way but the situation is entirely beyond our control.

THE SHOW MUST GO ON.

• RMweb Gold

Some very good layouts! Leicester Belgrave Road is a really nice example of fitting a lot in a relatively small space and still looking right. I only had a short time there today but well worth a visit.

Edited by PaulRhB

• RMweb Premium

Evening all

Another exhibition over and Tidworth was back home by 4.45pm, the benefits of a local show! Thanks to the Andover club for the invite and hospitality this weekend and I hope the show was a success.

Also thanks to Chris who was my wing-man all weekend plus Paul and Scott on Saturday and Rhys today I hope you all enjoyed your time playing trains. That's it now until Folkestone in October but first a week away in Portugal to chill out!

I am sorry to say I was disappointed by the exhibition this year.

(i)  It was clear by the large gaps in the rear hall that a couple of layouts had not arrived. I appreciate that there may well have been perfectly good and understandable reasons for this.

(ii)  Far too much of the first hall was given over to non railway related exhibits. Is this a model railway exhibition or not?

Were it not that I spent some time in interesting conversation with two exhibitors I would have very much felt that that the twenty odd miles drive each way and time spent had been a total waste. That said I really feel that next year I may well decide to give the event a miss.

More in sorrow than in anger.

CP

• RMweb Premium

I can understand a few of the feelings of disappointment in the previous post, as the sports hall did feel a little too empty.

I travelled double the distance of the above, but felt it was well worth it, as there were many examples of brilliant modelling and some interesting layouts, operationally.

As last year, I am not sure how the non-railway related displays fit in, but think if these people are from the local community, its great to be able to welcome them along.

The guy doing the tree demo seemed to be enthralling the kids, letting them have a go at producing a tree and base to stick it. Well done.

Trade support seemed a little thinner on the ground this year too.

Note for next year - despite coming last year, my normally good sense of direction let me down on Saturday morning and I missed the exit I required off the A303 (no exhibition signage this year), only to find there weren't any signs in the Town centre either!

I am sorry to say I was disappointed by the exhibition this year.

(i)  It was clear by the large gaps in the rear hall that a couple of layouts had not arrived. I appreciate that there may well have been perfectly good and understandable reasons for this.

(ii)  Far too much of the first hall was given over to non railway related exhibits. Is this a model railway exhibition or not?

Were it not that I spent some time in interesting conversation with two exhibitors I would have very much felt that that the twenty odd miles drive each way and time spent had been a total waste. That said I really feel that next year I may well decide to give the event a miss.

More in sorrow than in anger.

CP

That is a not strictly true, there were only three exhibits not connected with modelrailways, or railways in general, The Andover Dolls House Club and South Hants Model Car Club,  both of these  have been attending the show for a great number of years, the only addition was a group from Andover Table Top Gamers, demonstrating table top gaming. In defence of the club, the show is advertised as a Modelex, not a purely 'Model Railway' show.

In an age when the hobby is in crisis and sales are down, Hornby amost hitting the wall every year, I feel it is a little unfair to criticise a club for thinking outside the box, and trying to create more interest in modelling in general.

Perhaps if you had an open mind, and spoke to the dolls house people, or the model car owners or even the gamers you could of picked up some tips to help you improve your own modelling skills.

In my capacity of a model shop owner I actually approached the club to allow the gamers to exhibit, the two hobbies have a lot in common, building scenery being the main one, but these people also paint 28mm figures to a very high standard in ways that other modellers could benefit from learning, like model railways the actual use of the figures is a percentage of the game, not the whole thing.

I'm sorry to say that on the  Saturday our exhibitors got some very derogatory looks and comments from a minority of visitors, those people now think  that all railway modellers are the same, is that the impression you want to give people ?   I also tried to engage some of the model railway exhibitors in converstaion and one trader, I got blank stares, the trader didn't want to know me, even when I asked if he would be willing to supply me with a product he showed no interest and kept his head down in his lap top. The layout operators mostly avoided any eye contact, how can you promote a hobby when those taking part wont engage with the public ?

That is a not strictly true, there were only three exhibits not connected with modelrailways, or railways in general, The Andover Dolls House Club and South Hants Model Car Club,  both of these  have been attending the show for a great number of years, the only addition was a group from Andover Table Top Gamers, demonstrating table top gaming. In defence of the club, the show is advertised as a Modelex, not a purely 'Model Railway' show.

In an age when the hobby is in crisis and sales are down, Hornby amost hitting the wall every year, I feel it is a little unfair to criticise a club for thinking outside the box, and trying to create more interest in modelling in general.

Perhaps if you had an open mind, and spoke to the dolls house people, or the model car owners or even the gamers you could of picked up some tips to help you improve your own modelling skills.

In my capacity of a model shop owner I actually approached the club to allow the gamers to exhibit, the two hobbies have a lot in common, building scenery being the main one, but these people also paint 28mm figures to a very high standard in ways that other modellers could benefit from learning, like model railways the actual use of the figures is a percentage of the game, not the whole thing.

I'm sorry to say that on the  Saturday our exhibitors got some very derogatory looks and comments from a minority of visitors, those people now think  that all railway modellers are the same, is that the impression you want to give people ?   I also tried to engage some of the model railway exhibitors in converstaion and one trader, I got blank stares, the trader didn't want to know me, even when I asked if he would be willing to supply me with a product he showed no interest and kept his head down in his lap top. The layout operators mostly avoided any eye contact, how can you promote a hobby when those taking part wont engage with the public ?

The posting #13 above from Graham Walters commenting on my post #11 deserves a response as follows.

(i)       That there were only three exhibits not “connected with model railways, or railways in general” misses the point. The issue is not the number of stands but that they took up a great deal of space in the first hall.

(ii)      Whatever the term “Modelex” does or does not mean, on the club website - http://www.andovermodelrailwayclub.co.uk/ - it says “Modelex 2018 Model Railway Exhibition”.

(iii)     That there have in the past been stands not “connected with model railways, or railways in general” I am aware, indeed I was myself an exhibitor with layouts at the event in 2013 and 2014. This year the area (rather than simply the number of stands) non railway related was increased.

(iv)      I was not therefore criticising the “club for thinking outside the box”, but rather given the empty spaces in the rear hall observing that the proportion of non railway related exhibits was unfortunately too much of the resulting whole.

(v)      I think I do have an open mind, for when I began seriously exhibiting in the 1990s ideas and techniques from other modelling disciples (specifically military and maritime) had a considerable influence on what I did.

(vi)      I take no responsibility for what you say occurred on Saturday afternoon.  I was there on Sunday, and can assure you that when I exhibit I am more than happy to engage positively and politely with members of the public.

(vii)     Finally to repeat what I said at the beginning and end of my previous post, I was disappointed by the exhibition and wrote “more in sorrow than in anger”.

CP

• RMweb Premium

The layout operators mostly avoided any eye contact, how can you promote a hobby when those taking part wont engage with the public ?

Hi Graham

I don't know if you came over to 'Tidworth' at any point, but as is normal at an exhibition I spent a large part of the weekend engaging with the public. Unfortunately I didn't spend much time away from my layout as my fellow operators this time were not regulars who I felt I could leave for extended periods, so I only had a quick peruse of the other exhibits but it did seem that there was quite a bit of space in both halls.

However, on Saturday morning a young lad 7-8 ish at a guess, appeared in front of the layout with his mother and proudly announced that his railway was the same scale as ours. After he had spent some time watching intently as we operated, I invited him behind the layout to have a drive, which was met with a huge smile and he spent more than half an hour running the passenger services in and out of Tidworth with much use of the horn functions! Eventually his mother dragged him away for lunch but only after she promised him to come back later. Sure enough he came back in the afternoon and couldn't wait to get stuck in again spending the best part of another hour operating. In the end I wasn't having to talk him through every move with the route setting etc with the Prodigy handset and he went home a very happy chap with thanks from his mother. For me this made the whole weekend worthwhile, and if it hadn't been for a family party on the Sunday I'm sure he would have been back! Whenever possible at exhibitions I will invite youngsters to have a go once I've gauged their interest first, as they are the future of the hobby.

• Like 3

Hi Graham

I don't know if you came over to 'Tidworth' at any point, but as is normal at an exhibition I spent a large part of the weekend engaging with the public. Unfortunately I didn't spend much time away from my layout as my fellow operators this time were not regulars who I felt I could leave for extended periods, so I only had a quick peruse of the other exhibits but it did seem that there was quite a bit of space in both halls.

However, on Saturday morning a young lad 7-8 ish at a guess, appeared in front of the layout with his mother and proudly announced that his railway was the same scale as ours. After he had spent some time watching intently as we operated, I invited him behind the layout to have a drive, which was met with a huge smile and he spent more than half an hour running the passenger services in and out of Tidworth with much use of the horn functions! Eventually his mother dragged him away for lunch but only after she promised him to come back later. Sure enough he came back in the afternoon and couldn't wait to get stuck in again spending the best part of another hour operating. In the end I wasn't having to talk him through every move with the route setting etc with the Prodigy handset and he went home a very happy chap with thanks from his mother. For me this made the whole weekend worthwhile, and if it hadn't been for a family party on the Sunday I'm sure he would have been back! Whenever possible at exhibitions I will invite youngsters to have a go once I've gauged their interest first, as they are the future of the hobby.

That is so good to hear Ian, I hate to say but I think you an exception, rather than a rule, but  well done or letting the lad 'have a go'