Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

I got in touch with David Neale a few days ago regarding the Hornby Dublo Technical Manual, and he told me that about two thirds of the copies heading to Australia are already sold.  I have this morning paid for a copy and hope to have it later in April.

Latest in a longish line of conversions to 3 rail,a Bachmann 4CEP fitted with a Marklin skate.

Ray.

• Like 2

2-railing the Duchess of Montrose

16 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

A heresy I performed in the early sixties, when you could finally obtain Dublo spares. It used to be return to Binns Road only.

Your best bet is to try and source a set of 2 rail HD or Wrenn 'City' wheels. For some unknown reason, Meccano Ltd. redesigned the chassis so a complete one won't fit without modification, but the wheels are the same. Saying that, it looks like this is an early Montrose' with the thin crank pins. The later wheels will need bushing for these to fit. An alternative is to source a later set of motion*. It rather depends on how much wear has taken place in the coupling rods.

The pony truck has a standard rolling stock spoked wheelset, but the bogie and tender wheels are specials. For economy the original wheels can be left on the non-insulated side, which should be the left-hand side, contrary to normal practice, to avoid having to reverse  the magnet.  The tender can be used to pickup on one side, which saves manufacturing a 2 rail pickup, but obviously will require an insulated drawbar.

* A set from a 'City' will do but, IIRC needs some modification at the cylinder end to fit. As a downside, you get the pressed tin crosshead rather than the superior cast 'Duchess' one.

All I could find at present was this, but it should be possible to find them at a lower price - keep the original gear wheel unless worn - there are two types fine and the early coarse.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-DUCHESS-or-CITY-6-MAIN-BRIGHT-INSULATED-WHEELS-AXLES-COG-2-RAIL/372999842964?hash=item56d885ec94:g:5pcAAOSwBP1eehvR

Many thanks for that, David.  Sadly beyond my capabilities.  Half a century ago there were commercial offerings available for that process, but I guess demand has disappeared, understandably.  She'll have to be just for the display case - and the rather more limited 3-rail track.  Thanks again.

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Dorkingian said:

2-railing the Duchess of Montrose

Many thanks for that, David.  Sadly beyond my capabilities.  Half a century ago there were commercial offerings available for that process, but I guess demand has disappeared, understandably.  She'll have to be just for the display case - and the rather more limited 3-rail track.  Thanks again.

Ys, Hattons used to offer such a service in the late 50s and early 60s. Also Tri-ang to 3 rail standards. Does anyone one have examples of these?

12 hours ago, Wolseley said:

In case anyone is interested, it went for £206 and, no, it wasn't me who bought it.

Nor me! That's a bit less than they usually go for (around £350). It could be that buyers were put off by the paint chips and/or the light green wheels or the bottom has dropped out of the market (or it could be coronavirus curbing people's enthusiasm?).

Even £206 would be a good profit on what I paid for mine even taking inflation (1000-1500%*) into account.

* For house prices it's more like 5000%. Based on average values (£5000 - £235,000 approx.) The house I bought for £4500 in 1972 is now worth £615k - £752k according to Zoopla. (It's not typical as it had a redevelopment order and a sitting tenant on the first floor, which no longer apply>)

Edited by Il Grifone

Going back to the discussion on converting Hornby Dublo 3-rail locomotives to 2-rail, do I remember correctly that the following method was favoured by some modellers in the 1960s?  With the driving wheels still in the chassis, every second spoke on the driving wheels on one side was sawn through and the saw cuts filled with Araldite, a new and very high tech product back then. When the Araldite had cured after 24 hours or more, the rest of the spokes on the same wheels were cut through and the Araldite filling process repeated, After sanding and painting the spokes where they had been cut and filled, one had a chassis with insulated driving wheels on one side, and with quartering undisturbed.

I assume that bogie and pony wheels were replaced with insulated equivalents.

I wonder if these "conversions" fell apart 20 or 30 years later, completely mystifying some new owner.

Mike  

• Like 3

I have always been dubious about this method. Cutting alternate spokes always seemed an enormous faff and really needed the wheels to be removed anyway. Even cured in the oven (SWMBO alert!), I wasn't sure  how even Araldite would stand up to the vibration of running. At 1/6d a shot, new wheels seemed a much easier and more reliable proposition. My only problem was with my LNER Gresley and Duchesses which had smaller diameter axles and crank pins. I solved this with short pieces of PVC wire insulation. A better solution would have been all new wheels and axles.

Romford or Hamblings' wheels would have been an alternative, but not for HD track.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Great comment, thanks, Great Central.   Such authenticity doesn't come without effort!

Anyway, one of the joys of digital is that you can always take several shots to reduce the risk of such problems (or else digitally remove the offending item).

BTW, the parcels van is a converter vehicle, with an HD coupling on one end and a tension lock on the other.

20200406_152115.jpg.3f7c6e0a9c4aa275f5511fe5ed2bf9b0.jpg

Edited by Dorkingian
afterthought
  • Like 5

The holy Grail!  (for those with fat bank accounts - lets me out!).

A pre-war EDL7 GWR 0-6-2T 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164163441142?ul_noapp=true

I have a feeling the price (currently £261.66 +£7 p&p) will go much higher, as there is this post-war example already at more than £300, if p&p is taken into account.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-Hornby-DUBLO-EDL7N2-0-6-2-GWR-TANK-LOCO-GREEN-BLACK-No-6699/124117581470?_trkparms=aid%3D1110006%26algo%3DHOMESPLICE.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D225076%26meid%3D786308b5e4a641dfb9a8cd0f1cd5a6db%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dpf%26sd%3D164163441142%26itm%3D124117581470%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2047675%26algv%3DSimplAMLv5PairwiseWebWithBBEV2aDemotion%26brand%3DHornby&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

The first one is all original and in very good/excellent condition (IMHO) and appears clear of the pest though the curved tank sides are ominous*, whereas the second one has a post 1954 EDL17 chassis (thick crank pins/coupling rods, solid spoked pony wheels, fine gears and FMC (final metal) couplings). The body has a gold 'Hornby' transfer and large cab windows, so should have a horseshoe chassis with black wheels.

* It could be a sign of zinc pest, but the Dublo N2 is prone to this.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Going on from my recent conversions to 3 rail,i`ve trearted myself to one of these Hornby Cl.71s.My question is before piling in,Does any one know how to remove the keeper plate from the bogie.I intend to fit a Marklin skate but there are two projections on the keeper plate that i would like to remove to give clearance for the skate.There is a csk screw but i`m a bit loath just to undo it without knowing what`s underneath.

Ray.

E5001.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Our grandsons were over this afternoon (the restriction on small family visits has been lifted here) and I amused them for about 45 minutes or so by running Mallard and the 0-6-2T I modified to look like Thomas the Tank Engine.  As you can see, I am in the process of adding a bit of scenery (not too much of it, mind you - for one thing there's so much track on the board I haven't got room for too much scenery anyway).

Progress_2.jpg

• Like 5

On 03/04/2020 at 15:27, Wolseley said:

I got in touch with David Neale a few days ago regarding the Hornby Dublo Technical Manual, and he told me that about two thirds of the copies heading to Australia are already sold.  I have this morning paid for a copy and hope to have it later in April.

It arrived today.   It is a very well produced book, with more information in it than I suspected even existed and it arrived on my doorstep very securely packaged.  I haven't had time yet to look through all of it, but what I can say is that it is, as the title suggests, primarily about maintenance and repair rather than being a history a la Michael Foster.  If you collect Dublo, you need both books.

• Agree 1

Hi Neil.

Yes thanks, after some correspondence with various helpful people, I was in touch with Mr. Hamilton, and managed to pay for, and receive my copy.

It's a marvelous publication. I've only skimmed through it so far, but it's the next book on my list for a good looking at, after reading Pat Hammond's "The First One Hundred Years" of Hornby book, which I have now finished.

Edited by Sarahagain
typo