Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

I'd leave the Trix couplings on the Southern coach, as these are rather very rare. The wheels are easy enough to replace as the tinplate side frames spring out far enough to replace them. Dublo will fit but will raise the coach slightly. The other coaches are quite common so changing the couplings would not matter much. My understanding is that the spike on post war Trix couplings was intended for coupling to pre-war (and Trix Express) vehicles, though they are then rather far apart. I've got a couple of the LNER coaches  (job lot) which a previous owner had painted (more like 'tarred') blue, but why this seemed like a good idea I cannot imagine. I keep meaning to do something about it....

The N2 and A4 must be the longest running production of all, apart from the chassis which Wrenn changed in both cases for some unknown reason.  :scratchhead:

My breakdown crane just sat decorating a siding and never went anywhere. Its jacks cost more than the rest of it (ignoring the packing van!). The original body of the latter had been repainted (again why?). I did get most of this off,  but  it now has a Wrenn body :secret:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I'd leave the Trix couplings on the Southern coach, as these are rather very rare. The wheels are easy enough to replace as the tinplate side frames spring out far enough to replace them. Dublo will fit but will raise the coach slightly.......

I would agree with you if the coach were in better condition but, there are three large dents in the roof (not evident in the photo), only about 90% of the paint on the roof, which is badly crazed and discoloured) is present and then there's the condition of the ends (the other one isin similar condition, but not quite so bad).  Even if I confine myself to correcting these defects, the end result will not be completely original.

I see what you mean about the wheels - the massive flanges disguise the actual size of the wheel itself.  If I were to replace them, I would probably need 10mm diameter wheels rather than standard Dublo ones.

I don't see how you can couple these types of couplings to Dublo, but they can, as you say, be coupled to the Dublo-like couplings of post-war Trix stock, by dropping the wire hook over the spike on the top of the Trix version.  What Trix stock I have, would not be suitable for coupling to this coach though.  In any case, auto coupling would be out of the question.

Edited by Wolseley
Correcting typo

The roof is easily replaced, though finding a white one might not be too easy. Since this coach is so rare, I'd pinch bits from the others. The paint on pre-war roofs is often cracked and flaky, but I doubt they expected their product to still be running eighty years on. For the couplings, I would suggest a converter vehicle and run the Trix coaches together. The coupling is actually quite good considering its age (better than the pre-war Dublo effort) though it is rather fragile.

I have used the smaller Rivarossi wheels for converting Trix stock. They are a fraction too small at 9.5mm, but are probably difficult to find in Australia. They need a thin washer between the wheels (they are similar in design to Triang's early wheels*) to increase the Back to back a trifle or else they drop into Dublo points. NMRA wheels might be an alternative - the 10.5mm (3 foot) size would be ideal.

I'm not sure why Trix wheels are so small, but suspect it derives from the original Trix Express which allegedly is 1/90 scale**.

* The Rivarossi wheelset is a rather superior product with pin point axles and metal tyres, but there was a substantial difference in price between Tri-ang and Rivarossi!

**  If one can talk about Trix and scale in the same sentence.  British Trix were never quite sure what scale they were using. In their own literature, it varies from the Continental 1/90 to 00. The buffer spacing is actually a bit over the 00 value.... A long discourse in one of the yearbooks (1956 IIRC) talks about running your trains at the correct speed (running at all could be an achievement with the AC sequence reverser!) and quotes a mile as 60' 6", which is about 1/87. It's generally assumed as a 'split the difference' at 1/80, but their measuring tape was always rather elastic (not that they were alone in that!).

All right then, the roof is worse than it looks in the photos so I have to do something about it.  It's dented, crazed, discoloured and beginning to rust.  One of the LNER coaches has a passably good roof (but that one's also chipped around the edges), so maybe I could swap them over (assuming I'm remembering its condition correctly - I can't check at the moment, as it's wrapped up in tissue paper in the bottom of a trunk) but the LMS ones have grey roofs so, regardless of condition they're not going to be any help. And I have to straighten out both ends but, as for the rest, it should come good with a bit of cleaning.

I knew the Southern coach wasn't as common as the LMS and LNER ones, but I hadn't expected it to be described as "very rare", especially as I got the five coaches for £12 (sorry, but my ignorance of early Trix is showing here).  Can I ask, how rare is "very rare"?  We're not talking about the Trix equivalent of the Dublo track cleaning wagon are we?  I was going to fix the roof and ends, clean it up, change the wheels and couplings and run it behind my Dublo Southern 0-6-2T (no, it's a repaint of a BR one, not an original Dublo Southern tank, in case you're wondering) together with a van or milk tank, but now you've got me thinking I should clean it up and park it in a siding instead.

'Very rare' as in 'I cannot recall ever having seen one in the flesh metal'. They appeared in 1937 with the EMU and presumably in a set with the Southern liveried 0-4-0 or 0-4-0T (themselves rare). There was to be a Southern version of the 'scale' coaches to go with the Schools promised in 1939, but this was never produced for obvious reasons. The Schools did appear (in 1959 IIRC), but only a few examples ever saw the light of day.

Before the war, Southern (and to a lesser extent GWR) were not strong sellers. I have read that the GWR would not allow Trix to sell their trains in the sacred livery as they considered them too unrealistic. They didn't seem to have any problem with Hornby's 0 gauge efforts, which strongly resemble the Trix ones, though. Perhaps it was the puny size or the German connections? They are not as rare as the mythical Dublo track cleaning wagon (something else I've never seen!) of course,

There was a Dublo Southern tank for sale at the toy fair I attended this morning (a Maunsell green one!), but no price and I didn't ask. They usually go for around £300 in decent condition. I did pick up a Dublo ICI bogie tanker in bits in a bag for a fiver. It stated complete, but the screw that holds it all together was missing. I think I can excuse the seller than one; I must have a spare somewhere. I was expecting tatty but it's actually quite clean and only the two white stars are missing. Lots of Dublo wagons at £2-3 but nothing spectacular. I still need a second SR open wagon to complete the collection*, but they are very thin on the ground.

*Tinplate - I'm still short of a bolster wagon with load (two bits of wood multiply the price several times over), the hopper wagon (still available from Wrenn, but you need to buy 6 bodies (in various colours) and 6 underframes) and the low-sided wagon with tractor load (I've plenty of the wagon but the Dublo Dinky tractor is hard to find (possibly because the Matchbox one cost half the price). The track cleaning wagon is far beyond Grifone's pocket money range, so I pretend it never existed!* However, if it works as well as the Wills one it's based on, one is better off without it. That is at least a model of a real wagon, whereas Dublo went to a lot of trouble tp produce something that resembles nothing at all - they could have just left it as a mineral wagon.

* Every so often I do consider the possibility of cobbling up a replica/fake, but I have better things to do....

Edited by Il Grifone

I have not been idle.   An ever so slightly play-worn Standard 4MT 2-6-4T  looking good,

and boxed it came at about UKP40, sweet runner, what more can you ask, I hear you say...

80054_4MT_Dublo_2ab_r1500.jpg.7dfa8b21eb4e2ed18cd0b7f8603ece7c.jpg

not  much plastic in evidence here, guv'nor...

we wouldn't want this kind of thing around 'ere...

the hens woudn't lay...

80153_Standard_4mt_portrait10_3abcdefg_r1500.jpg.c921e83eb4233077190c876674e9fdf4.jpg

cheers ,  and with the Hornby Dublo version, what fat handrail?   :)

Seriously these were great engines, especially 80033 on the Southern Region Oxted trains, I am told.

• Like 4

The Standard Tanks are good locos, and my, are they BIG!

A while ago now, I cleaned the whole loco at Bridgnorth, Severn Valley Railway...the side tanks had to be accessed from a wheeled platform, as there is nothing to stand on!

That day I did a fair bit with the 4mt Tank.

Helped fill the tanks, and flooded the cab...it seems that there is a vent in the bunker!

Cleaned out the smokebox, and helped put the loco to bed at the end of the day..

Those were the days!

Added a whole new meaning to a dirty weekend! ;)

• Like 3

Living right next to the line they used to run on and not far from where the shed used to be, I just have to have several. Two are earmarked to become 80072 and 80079. Is it the only model to be set in reverse gear? Mid-gear appears to be the favourite.

Replacement Wrenn chimneys are still available on eBay (£4 the last time I looked). The Dublo one fitted to the first 3 rail version (80054) is rather awful.

Edited by Il Grifone
'marked' not 'maked' - finger trouble!

Yes! it's still not perfect, but a lot better (check it's been fitted straight - I have seen lop-sided examples!)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-DUBLO-2-RAIL-CLASS-4MT-80033-TANK-LOCOMOTIVE/233231400247?hash=item364dacbd37:g:EUEAAOSwyNdc4Bur

I'm not sure if all the 2 rail 80033 4MTs have the improved chimney (a separate casting), but I think so, The rare 3 rail 80059 version also has it and the Wrenn versions of course. I was going to take saw and file to one of my 80054s....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Thanks 1

I haven't finished the City of Bradford yet - somehow the City of Nottingham jumped the queue.  One of the second batch of non-streamlined Duchesses, it was painted in BR black with LNWR style lining before BR decided to paint the class blue.  Here it is:

P1010531.JPG.3a3d85cbd9f00757b618fb5bf6f02853.JPG

• Like 4

On 17/06/2019 at 01:07, Il Grifone said:

...... The track cleaning wagon is far beyond Grifone's pocket money range, so I pretend it never existed!* However, if it works as well as the Wills one it's based on, one is better off without it. That is at least a model of a real wagon, whereas Dublo went to a lot of trouble tp produce something that resembles nothing at all - they could have just left it as a mineral wagon.

* Every so often I do consider the possibility of cobbling up a replica/fake, but I have better things to do....

Which is how I made myself a Dublo GWR 0-6-2T.  I wanted one in good condition and there's no way I was paying the sort of money that the real thing attracts.  Here it is:

20170201_135238.jpg.0e09c7efe038c1d7c158e0ee10de1514.jpg

20170201_135253.jpg.e5644527613a5dd116e805ffd51ada61.jpg

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Nice. Similar to the various 0-6-2Ts the GWR acquired at the Grouping, some of which lasted to BR days. Don't think they'd have had the copper chimney top or brass safety valve cover though!

Nigel

I’ve just been looking to see how many Coronations (or Duchesses if you prefer) I have accumulated, and it seems that I have quite a few more than I originally intended.  I also seem to have been getting them faster than I can finish them.  The streamliners are all early Tri-ang/Hornby ones that are being converted to three rail (without the benefits of Magnadhesion they’re pretty gutless things, so I’ll have to do something about that) with the remainder being mostly Dublo, with a couple of Wrenn thrown in.  Here’s the tally so far:

6220 (S): Coronation (LMS crimson lake to be finished with bell and headlight - not started yet)

6221 (S): Queen Elizabeth (LMS blue - not started yet)

6227 (S): Duchess of Devonshire (shop grey - not started yet)

46230: Duchess of Buccleuch (BR blue with LNWR style lining - not started yet)

6231: Duchess of Atholl (LMS crimson lake - standard Dublo finish)

46232: Duchess of Montrose (BR lined green - standard Dublo finish)

46232: Duchess of Montrose (BR lined green - gloss Dublo finish)

6233: Duchess of Sutherland (LMS crimson lake - partly done)

6234: Duchess of Abercorn (LMS blue-grey - finished)

46236: City of Bradford (LMS lined black with BR number and British Railways on tender - almost finished)

6241 (S): City of Edinburgh (LMS crimson lake - almost finished)

46241: City of Edinburgh (BR lined green - finished)

46242: City of Glasgow (BR blue - three-railed Wrenn - finished)

46243 (S): City of Lancaster (BR black - not started)

6244 (S): King George VI (LMS black - not started)

46245: City of London (BR red - standard Dublo finished - originally two-rail Dublo, three railed)

46251: City of Nottingham (BR lined black - finished)

6252: City of Leicester (LMS wartime black - finished)

6256: Sir William A. Stanier, F.R.S. (LMS lined black - not started - I have a Wrenn City of Glasgow minus a tender that I’ll probably use for this one)

Canadian Pacific Dublo replica (finished)

• Like 3

I nice video clip with my 2-6-4T set    just the way it would have been in the 1950s...

That's the same room we ran trains on a rather more comprehensive layout in the 1958-62 era.

without the Bulleid diesel in the background! )

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 04/07/2019 at 00:43, Wolseley said:

I haven't finished the City of Bradford yet - somehow the City of Nottingham jumped the queue.  One of the second batch of non-streamlined Duchesses, it was painted in BR black with LNWR style lining before BR decided to paint the class blue.  Here it is:

P1010531.JPG.3a3d85cbd9f00757b618fb5bf6f02853.JPG

The Dublo Duchesses had a real presence, I think.

Mike

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, robmcg said:

I nice video clip with my 2-6-4T set    just the way it would have been in the 1950s...

That's the same room we ran trains on a rather more comprehensive layout in the 1958-62 era.

A lovely post that wakens up happy memories. Thanks Rob.

• Thanks 1

On 14/07/2019 at 17:50, robmcg said:

Great post Rob.  The only thing missing is that smell, "Essence of Hornby Dublo", a heady mix of ozone and hot shellac.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Thanks for the kind words about the video.  I am thinking of buying a 3-rail 8F.  Are these common, anything thing I should look out for?

edit; e.g are the motors which stick out into the cab better, worse, or does it matter so long as they run well? Also I see some have plastic front wheels, others metal..  I prefer metal.

They do have a certain presence.  All advice gratefully received.

Cheers,

Rob

edit 2;  I notice one for sale at Hattons has pickups under the tender, plastic front wheels, would this be a 2-rail conversion?  asking UKP 50 less VAT 

48073_8F_2224Dublo.jpg.46d1925ee5481d366db68ac8b5e51d0a.jpg

and this below looks rather nice, it it typical? Seller asking UKP165 + freight

48158_8F_s-l1600.jpg.a5928f6bfa07fbe3a9e7f600867b5c31.jpg

cheers, again.... :)

Edited by robmcg
price error

As far as I know, all the 3-rail 8f locos have the pick ups under the tender, and a wire to the loco.

Plastic pony truck wheels came in around 1958-9 I think, when the 2-rail system was introduced.

The wheels can be swapped, or even the pony truck, which is basically the same as used on the 4mt 2-6-4 Tank Locos...

The 8f pony truck on early models does not have a coupling fitted I think?

The original "half inch" motor was superceded by the Ringfield, that sticks out a bit!

Not sure which is "best"...or the most common...

The 8f loco is a lovely model...well I like it! :)

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1