Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

On 20/11/2019 at 15:51, Wolseley said:

Which was what I did too to get mine:

That's excellent work. I recall reading somewhere that there was a "conversion kit" for the "Canadian Pacific Duchess" available.  Can you recall the supplier?

Mike

27 minutes ago, MikeCW said:

I recall reading somewhere that there was a "conversion kit" for the "Canadian Pacific Duchess" available.  Can you recall the supplier?

Mike

Unfortunately no.  I bought a conversion kit (headlamp, cowcatcher and transfers) in 2016 from a vendor on eBay.  He was located in North America (I can't remember if it was the USA or Canada, but I think it was Canada).  His listing when I bought it said that there were only a few left and I seem to recall it also saying that another production run was unlikely.  The last time I saw them listed was either late 2016 or early 2017, so I suspect they have disappeared from the market.

I had a look on eBay to see if I could find a record of my purchase, to see who the vendor was, but the records available for viewing only go back as far as the beginning of 2017, so no luck there.

Jim

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Trix switches can be a bit of a mixed blessing,before using they need to be restored.Very often,the lever is rusty,needs polishing with emery cloth with the lever held in a drill,the screw in the base holding the sprung lever needs to be removed & the countersunk hole cleaning with a csk bit as the case corrodes & causes an open circuit,the contact blades need cleaning & adjusting.They aren`t as positive as Dublo switches.Having said that i have used a few for the Trix colour light signals,you can see them painted yellow in the bottom LH corner of the photo.

Whilst on the subject of these signals,They used 14v LES bulbs which run very hot & when i received them,the coloured sleeves were very brittle.I replaced them with 12v DC LES leds in red,green & yellow as in pic below..They run much cooler & are very effective.I also have some lighted semaphore signals with a white LED in the base.

Ray.

20190329_225801.jpg

20180430_162714.jpg

Some of mine still have the lamps (dolls house suppliers can supply 50mA replacements) but some have LEDs. Red and green wired back to back wire can save wire with an AC feed, a 1kΩ resistor* and a couple of diodes (e.g. 1N4007). Raw AC will give the yellow aspect. This works for Dublo as well though I use a circuit in the base that switches to green with a transistor switch and defaults to red.

I had one of these in my youth, but managed to fracture one of the delicate tabs that make contact with the terminals. My attempts to glue in a wire replacement failed very quickly. My soldering skills (and Dad's huge soldering iron*) were not up to a proper repair.

* A generous hunk of copper heated in a gas ring. Not having multicore solder didn't help.

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, MikeCW said:

That's excellent work. I recall reading somewhere that there was a "conversion kit" for the "Canadian Pacific Duchess" available.  Can you recall the supplier?

Mike

I bought mine here last March.   (Page 2 - the caboose is on page 1)  https://www.lookslikerepros.com/

It's not as finely cast as the American product, but a bit of work with a file improves matters. It's not quite the same as the Binns Road product and you don't get 1215 as one of the supplied numbers (well it would be a fake!). 

A caboose will follow, but I will probably make the cupola from tinplate. I just need to find a suitable brake van. A couple I've acquired have been judged too good to convert once cleaned up.

(You need a late version of the L.M.R. van (with chimney and rainstrips) on an early chassis with the short footboards and LMC.  (Were they unloading some left overs to Canada? The Locomotive should be a 'Montrose' casting less the slots for the blinkers.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Il Grifone said:

Were they unloading some left overs to Canada? The Locomotive should be a 'Montrose' casting less the slots for the blinkers.

I think they were.  Wasn't the "Canadian" Pacific a way of using up a large stock of old Atholl bodies that were still on hand after production switched to the Duchess of Montrose, with its smoke deflectors?

AFAIK they are not Atholl bodies. They have the ridge along the valance for the orange lining*. It looks like they forgot the slots for the deflectors on the first batch of Montrose castings and these sat around for a while until someone had this bright idea for getting rid of them. A proper Canadian body and rolling stock might have faired better. Tri-ang at least made the effort even if the results were less than satisfactory.

*At least the few I've seen (live or in photo) have.

https://www.ebay.com/c/1122780634

How do manage to get the tender the wrong way round? There 's a Rivarossi SP 'Blue Goose' on eBay at the moment suffering from the same thing - at least with the excuse that she does couple to her tender.  I suggested to SWMBO that she would make an excellent Xmas present, but....

In one of my pics a little while ago,there is a Duchess of Buccluech with a train of LMS Atholl coaches.I wanted a Royal Mail TPO  to go with this train & on a members only forum ,i found these overlays as a free download.With a bit of enhancement in Photoshop,this was the result.

20191122_152413.jpg

20191122_152448.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 2

The chassis in the background is an 0 gauge DJH Fairburn 2-6-4  tank loco kit which i build on & off.I do have quite a broad church when it comes to modelling.In my life,i have modelled railways,built a live steam 5" gauge 0-6-0 tank loco.model boats & RC glo engined aircraft.Wish i`d never sold the live steam loco though:mellow:.

Ray.

• Friendly/supportive 2

I have now finished wiring my layout, although the wires still have to be tidied up and signals fixed down.  There is much work still to do, but at least I can now run trains.  Here's where it's up to now:

P1010596.jpg.9fda9b36aee7d648208754df5d8c35a6.jpg

P1010597.jpg.3fa1627a6b990b2b0d62cee65e02ed15.jpg

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Wolseley said:

I have now finished wiring my layout, although the wires still have to be tidied up and signals fixed down.  There is much work still to do, but at least I can now run trains.  Here's where it's up to now:

That's impressive work. Many "mainstream" modellers may disagree with me (and I have no problem with that) but, for me, the banks of switches and push-buttons in your photographs seem more appropriate for controlling a traditional steam railway, even in model form, than a touch screen or other electronic wizardry. Now I hope I'm no Luddite, and indeed have wired my scale model railway for both analogue and digital (NCE) control, but I find that pulling switches to "set the road" and pull the signals to "off", with accompanying electromagnetic clanking, is more satisfying and even more "railway-like" for a model set in an era up to the 1970s or 80s.  Working a bank of D1, D2 and D3 switches is also part of that Hornby Dublo nostalgia rush which includes motor noise, rattling tinplate, and the smells of ozone and hot shellac. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, MikeCW said:

Working a bank of D1, D2 and D3 switches is also part of that Hornby Dublo nostalgia rush which includes motor noise, rattling tinplate, and the smells of ozone and hot shellac. 

Hit the nail on the head there Mike.

"motor noise, rattling tinplate and the smells of ozone and hot shellac" says it all. 

Not quite certain where to post this but since i model HD & Trix.Liking a challenge,i`ve just bought these Trix card kits for LNER teak coaches.Somewhere on RMweb,there are some posts regarding the building of these,if anyone can point me in the right direction,i`d be grateful.

Ray.

trix kits.jpg

10 hours ago, sagaguy said:

Not quite certain where to post this but since i model HD & Trix.Liking a challenge,i`ve just bought these Trix card kits for LNER teak coaches.Somewhere on RMweb,there are some posts regarding the building of these,if anyone can point me in the right direction,i`d be grateful.

Ray.

This is the only link I could find Ray. By chance I stumbled on the topic a week or two ago.  As you posted on this thread you probably have it bookmarked already, but others following this topic may not.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

Latest aquisition,a Marklin 7186 turntable.I`d been looking for one of these for sometime & when one popped up on Ebay in the Netherlands,i couldn`t resist it.Needed some work to make it work reliably but here it is.Now to incorporate it into the layout.

Ray.

Edited by sagaguy
  • Like 5

I've found that Dublo locos are not happy on Märklin 3 rail track (at least the bits I have). It could be 16mm* gauge? as the later stud contact point I have is not a problem. I started converting it to 3 rail....

* I keep meaning to measure it....

I must admit that when i bought what i thought were a few Marklin track items for just over £15 turned into a box containing what appeared to be a lot of standard & short straights & curves,about 50 in all.A few short straights had an isolated running rail known i believe as ac conversion rails,what were these for?.Now to layout the shed yard,pics when finished.

Ray.

I believe they are for operating accessories. Märklin is AC or rather AC/DC, but otherwise electrically the same as Dublo. My Märklin diesel shunter runs fine on Dublo track (even better since I converted her to DC.)

Apparently, Hornby has decided that it is 100 years old, and is releasing some Hornby Dublo inspired models, including a version of Duchess of Athol.

I haven't seen any photos yet...

Possibly just a version of the normal Hornby Duchess?

Nope...

Slide12.JPGApparently it has a diecast body!

Edited by Sarahagain
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1