Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

22 hours ago, 45568 said:

"Selling for a friend who inherited and has no interest in model railways."

????????????  How can this not generate interest? Even just 'stuffed and mounted' as a decoration!

The Hornby Cl.71 SR electric 3rd rail loco.I wanted to convert one of these as there is a dearth of Dublo SR locos.These were used to haul the Night Ferry from Waterloo which was the heaviest paseenger train at 800 tons in the UK at the time,they also hauled the Golden Arrow as well.The 3 rail conversion was one of the most challenging i have had so far but it runs & is a powerful loco.I hope to have a youtube video in the near future.The couplings are a bit of a problem but hopefully here is my answer at the moment to the NEM Dublo coupling,A Trix plastic Mk1 coach coupling with a piece of plasticard welded to the shank & shaped to fit the socket for a friction fit.It shouldn`t have been cranked but i welded the card to the wrong side of the coupling,Hopefully,the Mk2 version will be better.

Ray.

20200507_232633.jpg

20200510_180135.jpg

20200510_180500.jpg

• Like 3

The pity of this loco is that after trundling round the layout with the lights working ok,it decided to blow out the circuit board and now,the lights don't work, I believe that this is a common problem with today's models,they are certainly not rugged like our HD locos.

Ray. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Sarah,

Yes, the Deeley tender is rather inappropriate, but the loco looks very good, I do wonder how these will run, but, given that they are 3-rail, they would seem very much in the spirit of H/D.

Cheers from West Oz,

Peter C.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, 45568 said:

Hi Sarah,

Yes, the Deeley tender is rather inappropriate, but the loco looks very good, I do wonder how these will run, but, given that they are 3-rail, they would seem very much in the spirit of H/D.

Cheers from West Oz,

Peter C.

It was inappropriate for the 3F too! AFAIK only one (not 43775! - scrapped before the model appeared in any case) ran coupled to a Fowler tender (to which the Tri-ang R.33 tender has only a passing resemblance). Since the loco is part of a collection, she was probably just paired 'temporarily' with this tender....

I'm surprised the model only made £29.99 though.

There's also this one:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornby-Dublo-3-rail-kitbuilt-106-4-6-4T-Baltic-Class-N1-Furness-Railway-brown/333597897684?hash=item4dabfbf3d4:g:HFAAAOSw8-5evABQ

Edited by Il Grifone

QUOTE ...I'm surprised the model only made £29.99 though.

Yes, that would be a bargain, but I suspect it went for much more than that, despite it's 'holier than thou' pretence, Ebay is full of holes!!

Cheers,

Peter C.

I have almost finished repainting a Dublo Co-Co diesel in BR blue with yellow ends.  I am going to name it Meld (I already have the nameplates to hand), as Meld was the first Deltic I encountered - at Montrose station on a train to Aberdeen.

I was looking at it just now and realised that I have now got to obtain three or four BR blue and grey coaches to go with it.  I wasn't really planning to buy more coaches.......

• Friendly/supportive 3

8 hours ago, Colin_McLeod said:

How about trying your hand at repainting some Hornby Dublo coaches.  There are plenty of scruffy tin plate examples to be found, less so scruffy SD coaches.

I thought about that, but I can't see how I could get a satisfactory finish on the tinplate sides as regards doors, handles and other details.  Plus I have so many locomotive projects on hand, the last thing I need to do is to start work on a rake of coaches.  I think I'll either wait for some Trix ones to turn up at a reasonable price, or I'll get some Tri-ang ones and change the couplings.  Here's the soon to be named "Meld" although I still have to finish painting the ends and affix some transfers:

P1010684.JPG.f1fb561da5b8340d91177d6e4e354a1d.JPG

• Like 4

Trix look way out of place against Dublo in my opinion being at a smaller scale. I know Sagaguy runs them but it all looks odd to me.  Even the Trans Pennine, which is a lovely model, looks odd although it is a stand alone model without a loco pulling it.  Trix were good runners but that was it.  If you dont want to paint the tinplate then i would guess the Tri-ang 8" coaches would look better with a Dublo Deltic than the later scale length ones. 

Garry 

8 minutes ago, Wolseley said:

I thought about that, but I can't see how I could get a satisfactory finish on the tinplate sides as regards doors, handles and other details.  Plus I have so many locomotive projects on hand, the last thing I need to do is to start work on a rake of coaches.  I think I'll either wait for some Trix ones to turn up at a reasonable price, or I'll get some Tri-ang ones and change the couplings.  Here's the soon to be named "Meld" although I still have to

looks good what blue did you use 

neil

Edited by gtis

The doors are merely black lines. A proper pen will solve that. the handles and grab irons can be printed either as adhesives or transfers (or made from wire, super-detailing the coach). I can understand the lack of desire for yet another project though.

1 hour ago, Il Grifone said:

The doors are merely black lines. A proper pen will solve that. the handles and grab irons can be printed either as adhesives or transfers (or made from wire, super-detailing the coach). I can understand the lack of desire for yet another project though.

Even they are no problem now,

MM4499 TWENTY FOUR Black Door Outlines, with Black Hinges, Gold...

https://modelmaster.uk/116-4mm-replacement-door-outlines-for-coach-sides

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

Ray.

• Informative/Useful 1

On 25/05/2020 at 03:49, sagaguy said:

Ray.

Thanks for the link.  I have dealt with Modelmaster before, but I had no idea that they, or anyone else, had such a product.  I will order a sheet.

On 25/05/2020 at 01:47, Il Grifone said:

I do have a very good lining pen, however I do tend to often set myself higher standards than I can achieve, and what has held me back from doing this is the thought that, once completed, I would be unsatisfied with the result.  I would not want to spend considerable time on something if there was a likelihood that I might not want to run it on the layout..........

On 25/05/2020 at 01:31, gtis said:

looks good what blue did you use 

I used Humbrol RC411 Diesel Blue Matt, not because I specifically have a preference for it, but rather because it is pretty much all that is available out here.  As with most of my other models, I am brush painting it to this stage, to be followed by a couple of spray coats of semi gloss clear.

Edited by Wolseley
Clarification: left out brand name of paint
  • Informative/Useful 1

Since my Dublo coupling conversion in an NEM pocket on my Hornby Cl.73 didn`t work,i had a spare Dublo SR SD coach with export couplings which were attached with a shoulder screw & nut.I made this adapter plate from 1mm plasticard for a tension lock coupling for a converter coach.

Ray.

20200527_191206.jpg

• Craftsmanship/clever 4

In the 1980s I built up a fair sized dublo 3 rail collection, mainly from the local swapmeet and usually found in the boxes under the tables, so most was a bit tatty, seem to remember paying £4.50 for a green duchess with tender!

Also had Red duchess missing its tender and front bogie, and a couple of N2 tanks, a rake of crimson and cream coaches and various wagons, including a trix brake van with lighting!

Got an A4 less tender of a school mate too.

All sold on ebay about 20 years ago now, except for a vacuum tank wagon I rewheeled and a 2 rail standard tank loco my dad got me off a market stall.

Should have really kept the Dublo but wanted to downsize and rationalize my collections, have O gauge tinplate now!

• Friendly/supportive 1