Hornby dublo

ddoherty958

Hornby (Rovex) finally made a mechanically operated TPO with pick up and set down on the same side, using a mechanism similar in operation to the old Playcraft (Jouef) model.

But the operating levers also work when the TPO coach passes over the operating ramps in ‘reverse’...unlike the old Tri-ang Railways system that had hinged operating strikers under the coach, that (as long as the hinges are not seized) only work when travelling ‘forwards’... 

• Informative/Useful 1

An awful lot...

There was a network of TPO services the length and breadth of the country, with key interchanges, such as Crewe where mail could be routed onto another service towards its destination.

Have you seen the 1934 film “Night Mail”?

https://player.bfi.org.uk/free/film/watch-night-mail-1936-online

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 31/07/2020 at 08:30, Il Grifone said:

It's an LMS prototype if I'm not mistaken, despite appearing in GWR livery!

GW, I think, as Stanier TPOs had the thin toplights high on the bodyside like the Rovex model. Unlike the latter, the HD coach also has the offset gangways that many TPOs had. I have a non-working ex-LMS mail coach made from a Rovex body on an Airfix underframe which does away with some inaccuracies of the original chassis (also the Airfix roof vents supplanted the cruder originals). No offset corridor connections though!!

David

WP_20180329_17_25_58_Rich.jpg

Edited by David_Belcher
Pic added.

The Hornby Dublo TPO has a W prefix number.

The Tri-ang Railways short TPO (R.23, etc.) has an M prefix number.

The Hornby Railways model was first released in LMS livery.

Later versions were in Royal Mail Letters, and BR Blue and Grey Liveries.

GWR Royal Mail livery was also used.

For some reason probably connected to licensing liveries these days, recent Hornby releases have the “Royal Mail” title replaced by “Night Mail”.

Both LMS and GWR versions with Night Mail inscriptions have been issued.

There has also been a Night Mail train set supplied with a LMS maroon “Jinty” tank loco! 

I was referring to the Hornby model which has the toplights. How accurate it is I've never bothered to investigate.

The Dublo model is W807, one of three to dia. L18 (806/7/8), which finished their days on the Southern Region. Apparently it survived until c 2000. Within the limits of tinplate and a functional toy, it is reasonably accurate. I gather there is a variety/manufacturing error with the gangways on the wrong side. (Easy to fake, but pointless!)

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/carriages-wagons/travelling-post-offices/post-office-sorting-van-c1950-523455.html?prodid=676

https://rcts.org.uk/carriage-conundrums/gwr-br-non-passenger-carrying-coaching-stock-disposals/gwr-travelling-post-office-vans/

Most long distance mail used to go by rail. Some politician (probably preparing for giving away privatising the Royal Mail) decided it should go by road.

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 01/08/2020 at 21:35, Il Grifone said:

I was referring to the Hornby model which has the toplights. How accurate it is I've never bothered to investigate.

The Dublo model is W807, one of three to dia. L18 (806/7/8), which finished their days on the Southern Region. Apparently it survived until c 2000. Within the limits of tinplate and a functional toy, it is reasonably accurate. I gather there is a variety/manufacturing error with the gangways on the wrong side. (Easy to fake, but pointless!)

https://www.steampicturelibrary.com/carriages-wagons/travelling-post-offices/post-office-sorting-van-c1950-523455.html?prodid=676

https://rcts.org.uk/carriage-conundrums/gwr-br-non-passenger-carrying-coaching-stock-disposals/gwr-travelling-post-office-vans/

Most long distance mail used to go by rail. Some politician (probably preparing for giving away privatising the Royal Mail) decided it should go by road.

My mistake - misread 'GWR' as 'WR' and thought it referred to the HD one!

The Hornby (Margate) TPO is similar to some small-batch 57' TPOs based on reference to Essery & Jenkinson's books on LMS coaches when I was building mine some years back. Although they had the net recess, not all were kitted out with bag exchange equipment.

David

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Not quite sure where this fits in the forum.It`s a what if project based on a Kitmaster/Airfix /Dapol BoB loco.92 squadron.The tender fits very nicely on a Dublo/Wrenn WC tender and the loco body modified to fit a Dublo Barnstaple chassis that i had going spare.As you can see,the valve gear has been modified.It`s being finished in SR 1948 Malachite green.I`m waiting for a set of etched plates  and yellow British Railways lettering for the tender.

Ray.

20200829_152317.jpg

• Like 6

That reminds me I must get on with mine! She has a Dublo A4 chassis, but fitted with Wrenn (maybe Dublo?) driving wheels. They are not strictly accurate as they have balance weights but never mind. She is 34007 'Wadebridge'. I've got the plates somewhere and have got as far as cab numbers. One of the Blinkers has gone walkabout....

Edited by Il Grifone
  • Like 1

Hi.

I presume that the third, centre, yellow line is awaiting the Lettering and nameplates?

7B1CE378-AB82-4499-A028-3FA0B8097743.jpeg.9206d37cb87a537ce96e93fd383ed5dc.jpeg

https://www.hattons.co.uk/166706/hornby_r2220_ln01_streamlined_battle_of_britain_class_4_6_2_34081_92_squadron_tender_in_early_br_/stockdetail.aspx

I do like these locos.

In 1976, I was at the Bluebell Railway when Blackmore Vale was returned to traffic. West Country and BoB locos were basically the same, just a different naming subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Well,i have to say that i`m pleased with this loco,it doesn`t look bad even though it`s posed with BR Mk.1 coaches.I`ve just ordered a book of drawings for Bulleid coaches so hopefully,i`l be able to produce some overlays for Bulleid coaches.

Ray.

20200918_170252.jpg

20200918_170428.jpg

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 4 weeks later...

I havn`t posted for a while but here is one of the latest videos of my layout.Two Trix AL1s modified to run properly on Dublo 3 rail track.

Ray.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I'll try and post a photo of my repainted 'Montrose'. It'll be a while as I'm in Sardinia and she is in England. With the new wave of Coronavirus and 'No deal' it might be a considerable time. Flights to Stansted that get in just before midnight don't help. (You are not allowed to stay in the airport and public transport does not get me home at that hour.)

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

19 hours ago, Il Grifone said:

I'll try and post a photo of my repainted 'Montrose'. It'll be a while as I'm in Sardinia and she is in England. With the new wave of Coronavirus and 'No deal' it might be a considerable time. Flights to Stansted that get in just before midnight don't help. (You are not allowed to stay in the airport and public transport does not get me home at that hour.)

Thanks for the sympathy. It's sunny today, but there is a chill wind blowing.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...