LBSCR Shipping

Just a few queries relating to the title...

First - Does anyone have any idea where I can potentially find drawings for some of the LBSCR's ships? I feel a diversion (another one...) from purely railway CAD coming on should I ever get bored of drawing up pretty chimneys on small steam locos.?

Second - Does anyone have some idea of the sort of shipping that may have been seen around Littlehampton Wharf?

I have a layout idea coming on...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Peter Smith at Kirtley Models quite recently had an uncompleted project for an LBSCR quayside layout and probably has the information - he did the wonderful Saltdean.

The old book by FC Hambledon, 'Famous Paddle Steamers' can be had cheaply [$5] on Abebooks and may help, I'll see if it has some drawings. I have checked and it has lots of small-scale ship elevations plus detail sketches, mainly of South Coast vessels inc LBSC. Also he was around at the time to make direct observations. There is a lot of other paddleriana around. Then there is the online LBSCR modellers magazine.

Dava

Edited by Dava

• RMweb Premium

From my own researches for Haltemprice Quay, Paddle steamers for Cross channel work had largely been surplaced by 1910.  I think the LBSCR boats went to steam turbine around 1900.

Cross channel boats had by that time become rather large - certainly a lot larger than I was expecting - scaling in at around 4ft long in 00.

I am basing my boat on an SECR one for which there is a drawing in the book I found on Channel ferries - but I don't think there is a drawing for an LBSCR one - I will check.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/111673-building-a-1900-1910-n-sea-ferry/

might give some information that is useful if not 100% pertinent.

For me the big question, having got a side on drawing, was ti decide on the hull profile, which were surprising complex.

I must get back to building mine.  I now have the frames cut out, just need to start on the hard bit.

• RMweb Premium

Luck may be with you.  

"A century of Cross Channel Passenger Ferries" by Ambrose Greenway does have a drawing of the LBSCR paddle steamers of 1888 Paris and Rouen.  It is a cut away presentation so some outside detail is missing, but can probably be made up from the pictures.  

In addition there is a drawing (not cut away) of Seaford and Sussex of 1894 and 1896 respectively.  These were more modern steam turbine boats.

Neither drawing is brilliant and they may not copy/scan that well.