Dowlais Ironworks Class D 0-4-0T cut 'n' shut

5 minutes ago, Ravenser said:

1. It looks rather good as it is. Lining is a bit over the top on most industrials anyway  (it was probably done as a training exercise for the works apprentices)

2. Build something to run it on. Something that size could look sensible on a pair of boxfiles joined together , with half a dozen wagon

It may be over the top but it's absolutely prototypical - there are plenty of photos showing it, and others at the works, fully lined. This was built in 1907 when the people who built and operated it took just as much pride in the job as the people who built engines at Swindon, Crewe, Doncaster etc. I have photos of ex-works industrials from the 1870/80/90s and on some of them the lining is more elaborate than anything you'd find on a main line engine, so it would have been the job of a skilled man and not just something to be given to an apprentice.

Although I don't usually model specific engines this one is an exception, especially as I have the nameplates, works and number plates that tie it to one specific engine of a class of only 4 built, all of which were built at and spent their entire working lives at the same location. So I really do want to finish it as it would have been not long after it was named by the King himself in 1912. One day I will get it lined...

On 24/07/2019 at 18:44, Ruston said:

I can't remember exactly. The Hornby body is 2ft. 8in. overlength in scale and I took about 2ft. 2in. out of it How much is a 3D-printed chassis likely to cost?

By the way, I still haven't got it finished. I took it to a chap who was going to line it for me but it was returned unlined after he decided it was too difficult. The only way it's ever going to be finished now is if I take it to Warren Haywood but there's a long waiting time and he'd want over £100 to do it. His workmanship is superb but I can't justify spending that much money on something that only sits on a shelf because it doesn't fit with any layout that I have or am likely to have.

KGV1.jpg.170932cb80c135ff8c90e16c0fb0f061.jpg.8eeee712e47185fc1b7196292b85abb5.jpg

KGV2.jpg.b1ceed23a5ffcb93e5796bd67d808858.jpg

A 3D printed chassis will likely be about £18 plus design cost I'll have a look back and have in the thread to see where you cut have a guess. i think i said i have about 4 of these i'd like to build. this model looks fantastic and maybe, since it's sat on your shelf, a little diorama could be made to display it.

• 3 months later...
On 23/11/2018 at 18:48, Ruston said:

According th the "Dowlais Giants" article in Railway Bylines Annual No.2 No.44 Pant was built in 1914 as an 0-4-0 and rebuilt as an 0-6-0 in 1927.

post-494-0-32125100-1542998481.jpgpost-494-0-76983300-1542998852.jpg

No.44 as an 0-4-0T

That's where Hornby got their inspiration for the Industrial 0-4-0 in their Railroad range. Maybe if I wanted to make the 0-6-0 version, I'd use the Terrier Chassis.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, webbcompound said:

re the lining. Have you tried a thinner black over a thicker yellow line. Works fairly well. Just gloss varnish the whole panel or side after the first thick lining then add the thinner one,

Do you mean using lining decals?

On the subject of a suitable 0-6-0 chassis for this bodyshell I used an old J94 chassis that had been under an early Kitmaster body, looked about in proportion to me and the larger wheels produced a very purposeful look and brought the buffers to the correct height.

3 hours ago, Davecom4 said:

On the subject of a suitable 0-6-0 chassis for this bodyshell I used an old J94 chassis that had been under an early Kitmaster body, looked about in proportion to me and the larger wheels produced a very purposeful look and brought the buffers to the correct height.

Have you any photographs of this?

I would have thought that the wheels of the Austerity would be too large in diameter.

Pant appears to have the same diameter wheels as when it was an 0-4-0. Arthur Keen looks too different from the D class and the spacing of the wheels is too far apart to use an Austerity chassis but I have thought about using an old type Hornby Terrier chassis and modifying the body to be Sandyford.

Since this topic popped up again I realised that King George has never hauled a train. I fitted some Dingham couplings but I then changed everything on my layout to 3-links and I removed the Dinghams from this but never got around to fitting 3-links. This evening I made and fitted some 3-links and have had KGV on a test run. Most of my engines can only manage 6 wagons up the 1 in 18 bank on the CVMR but this one managed 12, plus brake van from a stand on the bank and with out slipping.

KGVtest-009.jpg.94339751d4ba76d48895dfdb5209070e.jpg

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome topic, and a fantastic finished product.

On the subject of these "train set" locos, I've got one knocking around with no idea what to do with it. Is it possible to make a servicable slow-speed shunter out of them without completely remotoring them?

• 1 year later...
On 07/12/2019 at 18:54, Ruston said:

Since this topic popped up again I realised that King George has never hauled a train. I fitted some Dingham couplings but I then changed everything on my layout to 3-links and I removed the Dinghams from this but never got around to fitting 3-links. This evening I made and fitted some 3-links and have had KGV on a test run. Most of my engines can only manage 6 wagons up the 1 in 18 bank on the CVMR but this one managed 12, plus brake van from a stand on the bank and with out slipping.

KGVtest-009.jpg.94339751d4ba76d48895dfdb5209070e.jpg

That is a lovely thing!
Regards,
Chris.