French metre gauge 3D printed models

rue_d_etropal

Inspired by what Roger Farnworth has been putting onthe forum,I thought I should start to design some metre gauge models for 3D printing. Lots of choice but I decided to start with the eletrified lines that ran to the north of Nice. Tram or train?

Working from the drawing in the book I bought, I managed to cobble up a design for the bogie automotrice. Only side viw drawing, but measurements in book meant I could estimate what the ends looked like. . I plan to do the other older automotices , the coaches and the wagons.

TAM-bogie-automotrice-1b.jpg

I have also altered my website, bringing the other two metre gauge items onto a separate French metre gauge page. I expect there to be a lot more items added.

Edited by rue_d_etropal
  • Like 1

Started onthe other automotrices. Early ones all I think fitted to Brill units.

3 types

The combined liggage and 1st class unit

TAM-automotrice-fourgon-1st-class-1a.jpg

The luggage only unit

TAM-automotrice-fourgon-1a.jpg

and the second class only unit

TAM-automotrice-2nd-class-1a.jpg

These all had bow collector, wheras the newer bogie one had a diamond pantograph.

The small units often worked in pairs, and could pull wagons and coaches. Those are next on my list to do.

There was another single automotrice, more tram like, but only have a basic side drawing for it, so I might give it a mss, certainly till after I have completed the coaches and wagons.

• Like 2

Now the coaches, a first class and a second class.

TAM-1st-class-coach-1a.jpgTAM-2nd-class-coach-1a.jpg

Both hadsame wheelbase, but the 2nd classs coach was longer.

The balcony ends are simplified as there was some scroll ironwork, which is difficult to 3D print, especially in smaller scales.

Edited by rue_d_etropal

Final batch of designs, the freight stock.

TAM-goods-van-1a.jpgTAM-covered-wagon-1a.jpgTAM-3-plank-open-wagon-1a.jpg TAM-flat-wagon-1a.jpg

A couple of the wagons still exist, some more might still be on the CF de Provence ,in particular the flat ones as useful for engineering. Otherwise the narrowness of the bodies probably made them of less interest to other railways. They were not much wider than an average 60cm gauge wagon.

I am still not sure if I will build a small model f one of the lines. So many other projects. o capture he feel of the landscape I think 1/100 scale using 9mm gauge track is best. Only problem is finding mechanisms with correct sized wheels, as most are too small(probably wold cheat, and find something near enough) The coach wheels would work out at 7mm diameter, and ther are some of that size vailblefo OO9.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

The key to my speed is having a design logic which I can then use to design most boxes on wheels. One reason I prefer rolling stock than locos. (it also helps that I am this full time, in effect.

For me it is more like computer programming, as the CAD program I use builds up a linear set of instructions. Far easier to modify or fix when there is a problem. Tom Bell recommended the software to me, and like me he has an IT background.

My next French design might me something very different, but still with a link to Provence.

Ony problem is that it leaves less time for real modelling, although when computer is processing omething complex, I try to do a bit of real modelling.

• 8 months later...