Irish turntable anyone?

ddoherty958

How about an "N" gauge turntable with a wide "deck" -(will needa bit of bashing) Worth a look anyway - it's just about 6"/150mm long which would accommodate a small 00 tank loco, though not the Swilly's famous 4-8-0 tender engines!

Colm

How about an "N" gauge turntable with a wide "deck" -(will needa bit of bashing) Worth a look anyway - it's just about 6"/150mm long which would accommodate a small 00 tank loco, though not the Swilly's famous 4-8-0 tender engines!

Colm

Good thinking. I never thought about changing an n gauge turntable.

I asked a similar question in 2014 on this forum for an 00 turntable smaller than the 75 ft monsters usually available and one suggestion was an Atlas at 9" long and another was this link,  see screenshot.

post-21665-0-38643300-1532824314_thumb.png

• Like 2

I asked a similar question in 2014 on this forum for an 00 turntable smaller than the 75 ft monsters usually available and one suggestion was an Atlas at 9" long and another was this link, see screenshot.

I looked it up and it could be really good! Thanks!

• RMweb Gold

How big is a tank engine? It's a pretty imprecise specification.

A 42ft turntable (168mm diameter at 4mm scale) is smaller than the 9inch Atlas mentioned above, would be considered small in the real world and would accommodate most small to medium sized tank engines but not many larger locos - even the smallest tender locos would not fit.

Edited by Harlequin

You can see by the picture attached that the L&LSR turntables were just about the length of an engine and no more. I can’t find an official length for the table but the men beside it may help. Any ideas?

post-34709-0-62219100-1532882405_thumb.jpg

The loco in the picture in your book is according to the caption L&LSR No. 10. It is a Kerr Stewart 4-6-2T, built in 1904, and scrapped in 1954, according to Wikipedia. Find the length of the loco and you've got the length of the turntable.

Whilst I couldn't find that, I did find a picture of another L&LSR 4-6-2T loco, and here's a link to No. 14, one of the 4-6-2T locos built by Hawthorne Leslie. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Locomotive_for_the_Londonderry_and_Lough_Swilly_Railway_(25609568311).jpg The accompanying description says that the total wheelbase is 23ft 6in, and gives the diameter of the driving wheels as 3ft 9in. So either of those two dimensions should enable you to estimate the total length of that loco. Don't forget that the angle at which the photo of No. 10 in your book was taken will foreshorten the apparent amount by which the turntable projects beyond the end of the loco. Of course, the Kerr Stewart loco won't necessarily be the same length as the Hawthorne Leslie loco, but it gives you a starting point.

Hope this is of some use to you.

The loco in the picture in your book is according to the caption L&LSR No. 10. It is a Kerr Stewart 4-6-2T, built in 1904, and scrapped in 1954, according to Wikipedia. Find the length of the loco and you've got the length of the turntable.

Whilst I couldn't find that, I did find a picture of another L&LSR 4-6-2T loco, and here's a link to No. 14, one of the 4-6-2T locos built by Hawthorne Leslie. https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Locomotive_for_the_Londonderry_and_Lough_Swilly_Railway_(25609568311).jpg The accompanying description says that the total wheelbase is 23ft 6in, and gives the diameter of the driving wheels as 3ft 9in. So either of those two dimensions should enable you to estimate the total length of that loco. Don't forget that the angle at which the photo of No. 10 in your book was taken will foreshorten the apparent amount by which the turntable projects beyond the end of the loco. Of course, the Kerr Stewart loco won't necessarily be the same length as the Hawthorne Leslie loco, but it gives you a starting point.

Hope this is of some use to you.

Yeah, thanks. And you’re not into the L&LSR?!?

• RMweb Premium

A 42ft turntable (168mm diameter at 4mm scale) is smaller than the 9inch Atlas mentioned above, would be considered small in the real world and would accommodate most small to medium sized tank engines but not many larger locos - even the smallest tender locos would not fit.

Untrue. The Midland Railway (of England) had a great many 42ft turntables, which could accommodate 0-6-0 and 2-4-0 tender engines with the Midland's standard 8ft + 8ft 6in locomotive wheelbase (actually quite big for the 1860s - 1880s) - total wheelbase around 38ft, length over buffers, 50ft.

Edited by Compound2632

The GNR, B&CDR, and NCC, as I've travelled on all of them when I was much, much younger, and thought it very sad how they were then, and still are, very dim shadows of their former selves.

i've been wanting Derry City Council (DCC) to reopen Foyle Valley Railway station for ages, it would really with my layout research.

• RMweb Gold

Untrue. The Midland Railway (of England) had a great many 42ft turntables, which could accommodate 0-6-0 and 2-4-0 tender engines with the Midland's standard 8ft + 8ft 6in locomotive wheelbase (actually quite big for the 1860s - 1880s) - total wheelbase around 38ft, length over buffers, 50ft.

Thanks. I'm not familiar with Midland practice and I must admit I was not thinking about Victorian locos when I wrote the above.

The LBSCR was similar, 28% of their turntables were 42 footers, and the only locos that were too big were the Atlantics, K class moguls and the B4 and B2X classes. So all the 0-6-0s and Gladstones, as well as all the tanks, could be accommodated.

i've been wanting Derry City Council (DCC) to reopen Foyle Valley Railway station for ages, it would really with my layout research.

Don't hold your breath. What a waste of a good museum, there used to be an awful lot of stuff in there. I was lucky enough to be passing when there was a film crew there (I think making a commercial) so I snuck in and had a quick look round when no one was looking. It used to be down to politics but I don't know what the situation is now.

Right. This is what I sent them:

Hello

I am a railway enthusiast and am wondering when the re-opening of the Foyle Valley Railway Musem is, as surley you woudn't let one of the best railway museums in Northern Ireland sit and rot away? I loved that museum as a child! Annother possible thought is the strech of track beside the station. I know for a fact there is at least 1 steam loco and 1 railcar inside there that many people all over Ireland would love to ride. A tourist attraction in the summer perhaps? Look at Fintown. It's in the middle of nowhere and it's doing great! I'd even volenteer in the museum on weekends if thats what it takes! We need to re-open that railway museum! PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU!

Yours,

(My Name), Railway moddeler and enthusiast

Right. This is what I sent them:

Hello

I am a railway enthusiast and am wondering when the re-opening of the Foyle Valley Railway Musem is, as surley you woudn't let one of the best railway museums in Northern Ireland sit and rot away? I loved that museum as a child! Annother possible thought is the strech of track beside the station. I know for a fact there is at least 1 steam loco and 1 railcar inside there that many people all over Ireland would love to ride. A tourist attraction in the summer perhaps? Look at Fintown. It's in the middle of nowhere and it's doing great! I'd even volenteer in the museum on weekends if thats what it takes! We need to re-open that railway museum! PLEASE! I BEG OF YOU!

Yours,

(My Name), Railway moddeler and enthusiast

Well done.