Dendale Light railway in 009 4mm scale

bertiedog

A mini rather than micro, an extended 9mmoval with station and loco shed, in a Col Stephens style as at Ashover etc. I will use some setrack, Peco points and flexible track recovered from the Heljan fiasco with the L&B.

The outline is just that, an outline of a 72x 20-inch board of 6mm MDF, with battens underneath to male a very plain oval a bit more interesting.

The buildings are resin cast spares, Hornby corrugated style, and a Bachmann pub.

The green corrugated workshop is altered to an engine shed, and other cottage altered to be used.

Lots of trees and shrubs to model.

The rear may be altered to a cassette type drop in unit.

post-6750-0-49909900-1532822414_thumb.jpg

Rough outline only 

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 5

Trying to keep it simple with buildings I have to hand in resin cast corrugated Hornby items to keep a theme to the line set pre WW2.

post-6750-0-85244900-1532889988.jpg

Its 009 4mm scale but out of view or well-ballasted track is N gauge, with points and visible track Peco mainline 009 type.

post-6750-0-96398000-1532890013_thumb.jpg

A look for a line in the Peak district like Ashover. As the Welsh Bachmann locos are to be run it is not Ashover itself, The coaches will be Ashover kit coaches plus Peco. The overall size is small to allow easy storage, and easy use.

post-6750-0-49495900-1532890026.jpg.

The division between the yard and the layout may be a split up version of the Hornby barracks, in half-relief, plus rock face and shrub trees.

Electrics in switched sections for two engines, DC with Gaugemaster controller.

It will need a large number of seafoam bushes and trees, with static grass and leaves by the same method.

Plenty of suitable vehicles for road areas are in store from L&B, closed down till Heljan honour the orders they never delivered, unlike Bachmann. The new Hunsletts are on order......

• Like 4

In view of the small layout size, I think I may do box section edges in strips of MDF instead of batten in pine. Glued and pinned facia, about 2 inches deep, with bottom cover edge and backing, leaving it hollow. Saves weight and just uses surplus MDF cut up on a bandsaw.

The facia can take controller and point switches, with the wiring mainly hidden in the hollow box edging. Mitred corners with small steel angle repair plate to strengthen it. The MDF I have is 6mm thick.

A few single thickness offcuts strips can be glued between the front and back to stop any sag across the layout, the hollow edges will deal with the length.

The track can be laid on cork or card, with double sided tape until ballasted. Most of the fishplates will be soldered with 145c solder to seal the joint against paint and glue ingress. Some may be removed for sectioning the track.

Stephen

Changes to the design, it is being folded into an L shape as I have the space and some more 9mm track available, no longer in length but with a width extension at the right-hand end to accommodate a loop of bigger size.

I will draw up the new plan. It involves no extra buildings, just a more scenic run.

Stephen

post-6750-0-36409200-1533684886.jpg

A revised plan allowing for minimum radius track and live frog points, overall about 4x3, maybe a bit more. The left-hand side is covered, the yard sidings are open top but walled.

The black hole could be left open or covered with a rock formation.

Beginning cutting out soon. Some more track to arrive.

Stephen.

• Like 2

Nice! Snap! I re-started a similar sized 009 layout over the weekend having given up on my old picnic table based effort, and i've got the very same tin buildings, i'm looking forward to watching your progress and maybe nicking a few ideas :jester:  You've already inspired me to go nail some track down. :)

More assorted set track has arrived via eBay, proving much cheaper than flexible at new price. A bit of an assortment but join nicely.

Got to check the radius of each as they do not match so called numbered radius range. There will be flexitrack used to tidy up the layout design

Electric breaks will be added later on. The points will have wire in tube operation from a lever frame. Not sure yet whether to leave the fiddle area fixed or fit cassettes or moving tracks. As it is not for public exhibition use it really does not matter.

Stephen.

Last bits of track in now plus some points from the L& B layout.  A short Y point has been sourced, a GF live frog unit.

Board cut out in MDF with MDF bracing screwed and glued to the edges to keep it braced flat. The glue used is titebond, much stronger than PVA glue.

The layout has only two folding legs as the back will be supported by a desk or wall mounted.

To fix down the track before ballast is applied with glue, later on, holes are drilled alongside each set track and screws with a large washer are added.

The washer holds the track but can be slackened off to adjust alinement, and you can slip paper etc under the tracks to get vertical alinement without relying on the fishplates.

When all laid and tested, the track is edge flooded with dilute glue, and the screws removed. Once the ballast is added with further glue, the track will stay in place.

Got to work out suitable sections to wire, basically simple as it is nearly all loop line.

Edited by bertiedog
  • Like 3