Pilkington Bros PO wagon

spikey

https://Bachmann-collectorsclub.co.uk/products/past-products/oo-scale-private-owner-wagon-set-199.html

This wagon was sold as part of a triple pack of PO wagons from the Bachmann Collectors Club in 2009/10 I think.

Catalogue number 37-077K.

Available occasionally from the usual places.

I just hope you weren't looking for a string of them.

Regards,

RP

• RMweb Premium

I purchased a new pack a few years back from Pooley's Puffers, so not just the "usual places!" :)

Sometimes these Collectors Club items do appear on the retail market. (after the end of the year they are applicable to?)

Keith

• 10 months later...

I have been able to buy 2 Bachmann Pilkington Wagons on eBay and one wagon from Hattons.  One was a single wagon and the others were part of the special boxed set.  The wagon depicted by Bachmann is not strickly correct as it has the Pilkington name and address painted on the sides.  It roughly corresponds to an Ince built wagon with side doors and an end door.  The prototype wagon has the three stripes like the Bachmann model but for greater accuracy there should be bo end or side doors. Below is the nearest prototypical representation of a Pilkington timber sided wagon with an end and side doors

Regards

Tom Jenkins

Pilkington 6 plank wagon.jpg

• Informative/Useful 2

• 1 year later...
  • RMweb Premium

If you want the one on the right.

Hornby R6870

N.B. this is the later version of R6870 witth NEM pockets

image.png.6b6bfeb3751977dfd6920dcebfd049a1.png

The earlier one seems to have had the big plastic tension locks:

image.png.df6e8c7af40533cce8500b50aeb203e1.png

Edited by melmerby
  • Like 2

I bought several of the Hornby ones from WH Smith years ago  when they were disposing of their model railway range - think they were 49p each!

I'd assumed they were a pre-natonalisation livery, so they were eventually sorted for disposal. Will have to extract them from the disposal boxes if they ran as late as 1968!

My Mother used to work at Pilkingtons in the 1950's, so there is a Family connection.

• Like 1

The two pictures above of the Hornby model appear to be the same, which one is in the correct livery

as I have seen both models advertised I guess it is the more orange colour shown in the first picture

as opposed to the red in the second one shown, though I think the red looks better compared

with the original, nice picture shown at Sandbach.

Are 4mm transfers available for these may be CCT.

or

Edited by paul 27

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, paul 27 said:

The two pictures above of the Hornby model appear to be the same, which one is in the correct livery

as I have seen both models advertised I guess it is the more orange colour shown in the first picture

as opposed to the red in the second one shown, though I think the red looks better compared

with the original, nice picture shown at Sandbach.

Are 4mm transfers available for these may be CCT.

They are not the same.

The couplings seem to have been changed to an NEM pocket on the later version, which is the upper picture.

Don't take the on screen colour to mean anything, it depends how they were originally photographed.

• 2 weeks later...

Regarding the photo I posted.  Someone asked ifit had been photo-shopped.  Alass I don't know, although I guess it has.  It used to be available from the HMRS photo collection but since the Corvid-19 pandemic I can't navigate their website.  I now have a total of 5 Bachmann 3-stripe Pilk wagons and heaps of the current Hornby 6-plank single stripe version.  The triple stripe wagon dates back 70 to 100 years and No. 1412 as Bachmann produced should have no side doors.   I am working on producing my own decals for Pilk wagons without side doors for single and three strip versions.  From the limited research I have been able to do the single stripe wagon was produced with side doors and withouth side doors.  Wagons varied from 6-plank to 8-plank.   I have uploaded an actual Pilk wagon and a Bachmann model for folk to compare.  Even the numbers match and the original Pilk wagon does resemble a Charles Roberts one.  The Bachmann model I think is based on the Charles Roberts POW wagon.

When I manage to print some 3-strip waterslide decals that vary for different makes of model wagon. I will have a go at doing a range of Pilk decals, all in 4mm scale.  I'll keep fellow readers updated.

Cheers 4 now

Tom Jenkins

7-Plank-no-side-doors-20T.jpg

Pilk 3 stripe - Bachmann.jpg

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Pilkington Wagon Transfers

I'll send a message to RM Web when I have printed out a few spare.  I have been trying to figure out when Pilkington started painting their wagons red.  I notice on the HMRS website of photos to sell that the single stripe version was registered by the LMS, but was this wartime, pre-war or post war before Nationalisation?  Single strip wagons that do not have LMS mentioned must be post nationalisation.

In time I hope to have designed transfers for various Pilkington wagons, including hoppers and cullet wagons.  Then there is the van with 2-stripes.  I will have to do versions for the Dapol and Backman versions as  wagon lengths vary between the makes.

I have been experimenting with Dapol 9 foot 7 plank wagons by removing the door strapping and deepening the planking grooves.  Diagonal strapping has to be added by gluing on Micostrip that has been indented to represent rivets.

Going back a few messages there was a discussion about Pilkington's wagon body colour.  I owned a red Ford Saphire that was sent from Ford's in red.  Each year I had it, I had to T-Cut it to restore the original red colour.  The sun here in Cumbria does fade red cars even if some folk think it rains every day of the year. Around 20 miles as the crows fly is the Borrowdale Valley and it is recognised as the wettest place in the UK. 

Some Pikington wagons will look different from others as their red livery is bound to fade just like my Ford Saphire car.  It got a new LHS front wing and it stayed in black primer as I could not get a match for the red paint and it was never going to have a total respray.  I haved owned several cars painted in slightly different shades of cherry or maroon and they only faded slightly over the years.  Gone are my thoughts of buying cars in red.  I had a Red Skoda Octavia car and after 12 months from new, it too had faded. 

I dont care what shade of red my red Pilkington wagons turn out, for as a car owner, red was never a stable colour on cars.

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...