Harrow Road - LT on a low budget

trainfan

After taking some time away from smaller scales due to a lack of interest, I was looking at one of my old layouts and started thinking. A while ago, I did have a small London Transport Layout which used to be used as a small shunting layout. However, it was binned as operating it became a pain and the fact it was only 3ft by 1ft meant it didn't have room to run anything longer than a loco and a 3 plank wagon. The existing layout used to be a Preservation layout which meant it had the room to run longer trains and could mean a reasonably sized train could be run and fit inside the headshunts. As the layout didn't get used, time to bring it back into use! Only catch, budget is a little as possible. Fortunately I have a load of stock from the old LT layout as well as some brought afterwards to build up the fleet which is the expensive bit sorted for now. Only expenses to date have been a pair of Hopper wagons (wrong diagram but looks close enough to me), a pack of rail (can't have a London Transport layout without 3rd and 4th rail) and a load of superglue. After a couple of days work, I'm happy with how its turning out. In time, another hopper, some more wagons along with a E and F class will be on the agenda but that's for when the budget exists (if it ever exists). The layout is basically a terminus with small engine shed (sub-shed of Lillie Bridge is my excuse) and a small engineering depot next door.

339kql2.jpg

The whole layout showing the fiddle yard and main layout.

p84k8.jpg

Scenic section. Plently of room for shunting and loads of room for Pannier Tanks (I have 3 and a Hunslet Tank Engine (L30))

3029apx.jpg

Station area. Room for a 2 car EMU (Class 416s used to run on LT tracks at one point so that's my excuse!) or a two car Dreadnought coaches (I have the Met Electric Loco ready for them).

96fb4x.jpg

Headshunt to access the works yard. Can fit a Pannier tank and 4 3 Plank wagons in it. Even the shorter headshunt to access the coal yard, you can still fit a brake van and Pannier tank in that shorter length.

29w74zr.jpg

Engineering depot shown on the left (3 tracks next door to each other) and the small engine shed on the right next to the running lines.

Rolling stock wise, the list is fairly extensive. Lots of my existing non LT stock is in BR livery and seeing as there is a BR connection somewhere on this line (how else are the 2EPBs going to come along) so BR Locos might make a visit. London Transport Wise:-

• Pannier Tanks x3 (L89, L94 and L97)
  • Hunslet Side Tank x1 (L30)
  • Metropolitan Railway Electric x1 (11)
  • 8 3 Plank London transport Wagons (4 Painted, 4 awaiting Painting)
  • 2 LT Hoppers (Representative models which need repainting)
  • 2 LT Ashford built Brake Vans (B581 and B583)
  • 1 LT Hurst built Brake Van (B558)

In time, there will hopefully be another hopper and some more 3 planks to follow. Plus a E class (can't have a LT steam layout without a E class), F class and a pair of the previously mentioned Dreadnoughts to represent a time before BR started running trains into the station. 

Overall, a very rewarding little project and one that I can genuinely say I'm happy with.

Jon

Edited by trainfan
  • Like 13

Today was a day of stock work. 3 Ballast Hoppers and 4 3 Plank Wagons entered the paint shop and exited in LT livery. I know the Hoppers are probably very very wrong (LNER Trouts rather than LT pattern) but I wanted something I can run easily and these were the only ones available at the time. Trust me if Heljan Dogfishs were available, I'd have brought them instead. The 3 planks are the new tooling Hornby Wagons which run surprisingly well considering they're very light.

2vi2ngo.jpg

Everything before repainting

2dtw2g7.jpg

The 7 repainted wagons along with the existing two. Going to need another pack of decals if I get anymore wagons.

33oii5e.jpg

The scene I wanted to recreate out of 'Red Panniers'. Two Ashford brake vans, 3 hoppers and L94 on a train. 

ncdoxl.jpg

Looking good on the layout.

egsbrt.jpg

Mixed train. You can fit a train of two hoppers and 2 3 plank wagons in the headshunt for shunting. Or 3 Hoppers or 4 3 Plank wagons. Plenty of room.

rv9is0.jpg

Spare wagons in the sidings. Very happy to now have a small collection of LT wagons to run alongside the BR ones.

Stock wise, the layout is, for now, more than operational/at a point, I'm happy with. In time, a pair of Dreadnaughts will follow as well as a Pannier and a Battery Loco. I mean, I have 3 Panniers already but I won't say no to another one! Although which engine to number it as would certainly make me think. Layout wise, a simple back scene along with a ballast pile (got to justify having ballast hoppers being worked onto the layout other than relaying the track) should see the layout complete for now.

• Like 8