1970s/80s small terminus

SeanG

Hello All

My first foray into posting on here.

I've got a space of 1460mm x 200mm (split into 2 x 730x200 boards), excluding a run out to a cassette. I'm trying to get a small yard with passenger terminus of 2 coach trains (maybe DMU sometimes loco hauled) in a run down urban area.  I have come up with the following - plan attached. The green area on the plan would be a platform/station area, with a warehouse siding beyond this. The two lower sidings would be for general shunting and would also act as a headshunt for the bottom right siding which would be for an oil tank or some other load.

I'd be grateful of any feedback or critisism

Many thanks

post-32116-0-93937800-1532892554_thumb.png

• RMweb Gold

Hello All

I've got a space of 1460mm x 200mm (split into 2 x 730x200 boards), excluding a run out to a cassette. I'm trying to get a small yard with passenger terminus of 2 coach trains (maybe DMU sometimes loco hauled) in a run down urban area.  I have come up with the following - plan attached. The green area on the plan would be a platform/station area, with a warehouse siding beyond this. The two lower sidings would be for general shunting and would also act as a headshunt for the bottom right siding which would be for an oil tank or some other load.

Many thanks

attachicon.giftrackplan .png

If you are running hauled freight trains, how are you going to get the loco to the other end of the train for shunting movements?

Looks good! I have seen lots of small layouts incorporate small scrap yards, with excellent results. You could fit a tiny one in on the right hand spur of the double slip, or make the two sidings in the yard area into a larger one, and use the spur as a headshunt for it. Both would allow you to run wagons of scrap as freight, and the scrap heap would fill space and create shape, as well as provide ample opportunity for little cameos of workers and such.

If you are running hauled freight trains, how are you going to get the loco to the other end of the train for shunting movements?

Sometimes leaving out a run round loop adds to interest; it would allow the operator to use a larger loco to bring a train on scene, and then a small shunter to split it up and sort it. Seems like a good way of getting fun out of a small layout

Very good point there.

Consider that point taken - and see a revised version with a loop added via the black line and the removal of the warehouse siding which is now a headshunt

post-32116-0-61841100-1532894003_thumb.png

Many Thanks

Sometimes leaving out a run round loop adds to interest; it would allow the operator to use a larger loco to bring a train on scene, and then a small shunter to split it up and sort it. Seems like a good way of getting fun out of a small layout

Thanks for the input - that was generally my initial idea. I like your idea of the scrap yard - it seems to me to be more in keeping with the urban environs too

Coopers Metals at Swindon used to have a shunter which seemed to work just one kickback siding.   I think its highly unlikely that BR would have a shunter available but if you put a gate across and have the sidings as private sidings with a privately owned shunter then the plan starts to work.  Especially if the platform is a bodge up bit of pre cast concrete flung up by BR when the proper station site was sold to Tesco and the line chopped back to nowhere near the town centre

• Like 1

You could always propel freights in. I doubt if it would be ideal practice but there's a prototype for everything.

I see no reason why a freight train could not be propelled into the station,

there may be a run-round loop just out of sight to the right.

edit - and in the 1970/80s you could go for a run-down feel to the scene

cheers

Edited by Rivercider
  • Like 1

Bere Alston currently has an unloading area for Permanent way junk beyond the platform. It was a double track junction now cut back to a one platform

terminus and a single point junction where trains come in from the Callington branch and depart again the other way for Plymouth.

Barnstaple another single track single platform shadow of a big junction, has a run round loop just down the line out of sight of the station,

a ploy which in model form can explain why goods is propelled in...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hello All

Many thanks

attachicon.giftrackplan .png

Having built a number of similar small layouts over the years, and bearing in mind the limited space, may I suggest the revised plan below.

post-12706-0-00503700-1533810598.png

Given the timescale and platform size I think you have to stick to using 2 car DMU's or single railcars for passenger stock, which thus don't need a run-round, and instead place this for any goods trains. In this way you can have a DMU stand in the platform while a goods enters the station or visa-versa, which offers a bit more variety than just being able to run one type of train in/out of the station in turn. Even two shorter 57' coaches of the surburban type would need a bigger run-round than can usually be accomodated in the space were loco hauled passenger trains used. And by this time they would not really have existed except in mainline use.

Placing the platform at the end means it will fit on one board, and saves trying to disguise the joint across the platform if it bridges the two boards, which always shows given the flat/plain nature of the surfaces involved.

I have also changed the double-slip to a single-slip as that is all you really need there to shunt the two sidings. If it were also possible I would try and increase the width of the layout, 200mm is only really enough the get three tracks side-by-side (I am guessing this is OO/4mm), and 250mm or ideally 300mm would be much better for allowing room for a platform at the rear. Very tight otherwise. Every cm/inch helps here.

regards,

Izzy

• Like 4

You can squeeze a BLT of sorts into your space if you get a bit ruthless.  Sort of London BLT with GWR B sets and Autos, occasional GWR Railcar or early DMU.

Bit of goods, Bit of a pig to shunt really, hours of frustration, scope for working signals and ground discs if you have lots of time and patience.

I would leave as much space as possible left between run round and Goods siding for appearance and as little between platform road and Run round as you can get away with, 44mm? I have gone below 40mm at times but 44mm seems pretty good as a ballpark

I would carve lumps of peco 2ft radius streamline points  at the frog end of the diverging track to pull the track centres down to somewhere around 44 mm from the Streamline 50 to 52mm and Set rack 60mm.  It will make a big difference to how long the station looks.   An Airfix/ Dapol canopy to the baseboard join will scream "Urban" even if you have to slice it down the middle, an a low relief station building can hide under and behind it.

I reckon you can run round 24" of train on my plan.  Have the buffers against the end of the board, don't waste an inch on a fancy buffer stop, I have allowed 8" beyond the points more than enough for a Prairie or Pannier, marginal for an 0-6-0 tender loco. Running round means using the cassette.

The siding ideally goes over the baseboard join, shift it to taste, I find crossing joins at an angle to be OK, other don't.

For 1970s sprinkle everything with static grass and have parts of the canopy missing and the signal box boarded up.  No need to run trains either as it would have closed in the 60s

post-21665-0-63000600-1533819542_thumb.png

Edited by DavidCBroad
  • Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Whilst the desire for extra width and length is shared - unfortunately this is my permitted space from 'the boss'.

I have come to the conclusion that a run round loop would be beneficial for operation, and that only short trains would be possible. This all leads to the Highlands of Scotland - 26s, 27s and a couple of Mk 1s. By my calculations I think that they could be accommodated in the headshunt - maybe even a 37 if I push my luck

I've come up with the below plan and would appreciate critique

post-32116-0-51354400-1534352001_thumb.jpg

Thanks

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's input so far. Whilst the desire for extra width and length is shared - unfortunately this is my permitted space from 'the boss'.

I have come to the conclusion that a run round loop would be beneficial for operation, and that only short trains would be possible. This all leads to the Highlands of Scotland - 26s, 27s and a couple of Mk 1s. By my calculations I think that they could be accommodated in the headshunt - maybe even a 37 if I push my luck

I've come up with the below plan and would appreciate critique

scottish terminus.jpg

Thanks

Your last plan is very similar to Pallet Lane which was great fun to operate and should keep you entertained for hours!

Your last plan is very similar to Pallet Lane which was great fun to operate and should keep you entertained for hours!

And what a layout Pallet Lane is. Gave me some inspiration when having original thoughts