On shed, Part 3, Eastern Region Southern Section, Out Aug 4th, Liverpool St, Doncaster, London and Norwich Divisions

18B

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi folks,

Seems to not have arrived in some parts of the Central Belt!  Both of the large WHSmith in Glasgow city centre, and one of the Edinburgh ones didn't have it; hope to try one of the other larger branches on Thursday.

Was asked if I was sure that they stocked it - believed me only when I showed them parts 1 and 2 on the shelf!

Regards,

Alex.

• Like 1

Good news - I got my copy in WH Smiths Oxford (Cornmarket St) today, and well worth the money it is too. Bad news - It appeared to be the last one ! (although hopefully other WH Smiths stores will have it by now ?).

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

:banghead: :banghead: I cannot believe this. What twit would pay more than the cover price when you can get the magazine at £7.99 posted to you for free.

What is even more alarming who would want to sell this informative copy.....and it is Eastern Region.

:banghead: :banghead: I cannot believe this. What twit would pay more than the cover price when you can get the magazine at £7.99 posted to you for free.

What is even more alarming who would want to sell this informative copy.....and it is Eastern Region.

Unbelievable!!

• Like 1

Seems they've already sold three copies... 

After the 2 excellent volumes on the LMR , I found this one a bit of a let down. There was no shots of the early pilot scheme diesels on places such as  Hornsey, Finsbury Park, and at Ipswich one image of an empty depot. Disappointing,  as these places were where 'mass dieselisation' was first introduced. There were no captions of Colwick shed itself either. There seems to be an emphasis on mainly corporate blue period shots as well. No images of Boston either, just a diagram.

Looks like I will have to order my copy online, still no sign of it my part of Northumberland, I only hope that the order/delivery time is faster than Kelsey get them into the shops!

Edited by michaelp

• RMweb Premium

After the 2 excellent volumes on the LMR , I found this one a bit of a let down. There was no shots of the early pilot scheme diesels on places such as  Hornsey, Finsbury Park, and at Ipswich one image of an empty depot. Disappointing,  as these places were where 'mass dieselisation' was first introduced. There were no captions of Colwick shed itself either. There seems to be an emphasis on mainly corporate blue period shots as well. No images of Boston either, just a diagram.

Hi Paul

There could be a lot more, for example the ER sand hoppers found at Stratford, Finsbury Park, Froddingham, and Immingham or the LNER design still in use at Ipswich, Norwich, and Doncaster (plus the one at Stratford) very important part of the ER servicing of diesels when first delivered. Perhaps they will feature in one of the Sheffield area sheds in the next edition. but I realise that there not every thing can be included in the limited space of a bookzine, I think the authors have done very well.

The only photo I know of in print of the diesel fuel points at Boston was in a Rail Enthusiast in the 1990s.  I do recall 18B asking if anyone had any photos of Boston.

post-16423-0-23218800-1534428031_thumb.jpg

Sand hoppers on my layout Brisbane Road (under construction).

Edited by Clive Mortimore
  • Like 3