On shed, Part 3, Eastern Region Southern Section, Out Aug 4th, Liverpool St, Doncaster, London and Norwich Divisions

18B

• RMweb Premium

Looks like I will have to order my copy online, still no sign of it my part of Northumberland, I only hope that the order/delivery time is faster than Kelsey get them into the shops!

I ordered volumes 1, 2 & 3 direct from Kelsey at lunchtime on Tuesday and they arrived late morning today. Just under two days; can't complain at that.

Each to their own, but as BR blue is 'my' era I enjoyed those photos. I also learnt something, having had no idea that Hornsey was used for stabling locos into the 1970s. The amount of stock stabled at Dereham in 1958 was a revelation too !

• Like 1

Hi Paul

There could be a lot more, for example the ER sand hoppers found at Stratford, Finsbury Park, Froddingham, and Immingham or the LNER design still in use at Ipswich, Norwich, and Doncaster (plus the one at Stratford) very important part of the ER servicing of diesels when first delivered. Perhaps they will feature in one of the Sheffield area sheds in the next edition. but I realise that there not every thing can be included in the limited space of a bookzine, I think the authors have done very well.

The only photo I know of in print of the diesel fuel points at Boston was in a Rail Enthusiast in the 1990s.  I do recall 18B asking if anyone had any photos of Boston.

attachicon.gif14.jpg

Sand hoppers on my layout Brisbane Road (under construction).

Hi Clive

Yes I realise that they are not 'full size books' but no images of classes 16,21,26, or class 24's in two tone green seems lacking somehow. In one of the LMR issues , they unearthed a great image of Heaton Mersey diesel depot-images of which are very rare indeed-managing to get D200 and D5200 in shot.

Love the sand towers/hoppers by the way. I believe the Ipswich shed is covered in 'Diesel depots- the early years' (Irwell press) -tho not the LNER sand tower/hopper...elusive beast

Paul

• RMweb Premium

Hi Clive

Yes I realise that they are not 'full size books' but no images of classes 16,21,26, or class 24's in two tone green seems lacking somehow. In one of the LMR issues , they unearthed a great image of Heaton Mersey diesel depot-images of which are very rare indeed-managing to get D200 and D5200 in shot.

Love the sand towers/hoppers by the way. I believe the Ipswich shed is covered in 'Diesel depots- the early years' (Irwell press) -tho not the LNER sand tower/hopper...elusive beast

Paul

Hi Paul

These sort of bookzines seem to create more information as things progress, so maybe there could be supplementary editions as more stuff comes to light. I hope so.

If the person who writes this book  is on here and reading can I suggest that he go and have a chat with the publishers?

Not one WH Smith that I have visited or phoned up in the eastern counties (Peterboroug/spalding/grantham/Stamford) has a single copy.

I was told in the Peterborough one that when he looked on the system they had over 800 in the warehouse but none in stores. The coverage for this publication is appalling.

Yes I could quite easily go and order online but I like to look at the products before buying, and if it arrived like some of the BRM or model rails do that come through the post, I will give it a miss.

its a shame that such a good publication seems to being looked over in favour or repeated stuff such as the A-Z of railway preservation which is having a second airing in WHSmiths.

Edited by Dan Griffin

• RMweb Premium

Hi

Could anyone struggling to find a copy in a shop please pm me

Hello 18B,

I tried to get Vol.3 in Leeds City centre at both the station and the main store, tried twice with a weeks gap but none on show. Finally got my copy at the WH Smiths at the White Rose shopping centre (Vol.2 was also still availble there) .....will be heading straight there when Vol.4 comes out in Nov. Very nice publication in my opinion.

• RMweb Gold

I looked in WHS at Norwich station, Liverpool St Birmingham New street and the Birmingham Ian Allan shop.... Nothing so got it mail order

Walked into a small family run newsagent in cromer they had a load of them

• RMweb Gold

I must have been very lucky as bought both issues 2 and 3 from WHS in Bath the other week ....

Good reference material and interesting / useful photos.

Just one small comment though. Could the shed drawings be printed to larger and clearer scale as would be very useful modelling reference.

I must have been very lucky as bought both issues 2 and 3 from WHS in Bath the other week ....

Good reference material and interesting / useful photos.

Just one small comment though. Could the shed drawings be printed to larger and clearer scale as would be very useful modelling reference.

Mud, what's the print quality of the photos like in your copy please?

I was away when this issue came out, so being unable to find any copies locally could be that they had all sold out, or that there were none in the first place.  Therefore I ordered on-line and (as others have found) was delighted to receive a copy through the post just a couple of days later.  A very efficient mail order department.

In my opinion it's the best of the three so far - but then I'm biased towards the region covered in this issue!  The fold-out map sections are very good indeed.

You probably won't thank me for this, but the coverage of Stratford and Temple Mills has omitted the short-lived EWS servicing depot that was erected at Temple Mills around the turn of the present century.  It was before the present Eurostar depot was established and - from memory - was further to the north of the then new Orient Way, on what is now the end of the carriage sidings and waste land/parking area.

Here's a view from September 2001.  Unfortunately this is the only photo I have that shows the shed, and then only partially.

post-10122-0-82512700-1535193519_thumb.jpg

GBRf locomotives were often stabled at the southern end of the complex.  Again, a view from September 2001.

post-10122-0-95632500-1535193520_thumb.jpg

You probably won't thank me for this, but the coverage of Stratford and Temple Mills has omitted the short-lived EWS servicing depot that was erected at Temple Mills around the turn of the present century. It was before the present Eurostar depot was established and - from memory - was further to the north of the then new Orient Way, on what is now the end of the carriage sidings and waste land/parking area.

As a survey of BRs depots, it was outside the scope of the bookazine to include it.

• Like 1

My copy arrived in the post today and I'm reasonably impressed, being interested in East Anglia during the steam/diesel crossover period. The only niggle I have found so far is reference to all locomotives by the TOPS classes, even before TOPs was introduced, and all the Brush Type 2s are labelled Class 31, which they were not all - some illustrated were Class 30s.

• RMweb Premium

My copy arrived in the post today and I'm reasonably impressed, being interested in East Anglia during the steam/diesel crossover period. The only niggle I have found so far is reference to all locomotives by the TOPS classes, even before TOPs was introduced, and all the Brush Type 2s are labelled Class 31, which they were not all - some illustrated were Class 30s.

Are you sure they want to be called class 30, some might like Baby Brush , D55xx, Skinhead, Brush 2, A1A-A1A, Toffee Apple or just Brian. :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :locomotive: :mosking:

• Like 1