On shed, Part 3, Eastern Region Southern Section, Out Aug 4th, Liverpool St, Doncaster, London and Norwich Divisions

18B

• RMweb Premium

That's taking personification too far Clive. Brian indeed.....

Mr K

Their nickname was Brian the Snail cos them were very slow. :sungum:

To be pedantic any photo taken before September 1968 they would be classed 12/2 or 14/2 if they had been re-engineed with English Electric engines. Except D5835 which was 16/2.

Continuing with the pedantry Clive…..

A Winter 1963/4 ER WTT I have suggests:

12/2 D.5500 - D.5519 (1,250 Brush/Mirrlees

13/2 D.5520 - D.5544, D.5546 - D.5654, D.5671 - D.5699, D.5800 - D.5834, D.5836 - D.5862 (1,365 Brush/Mirrlees)

16/2 D.5545, D.5655 - D.5670 (1,600 Brush/Mirrlees)

Note the . between the D and the rest of the number.

Which is why “class 31” saves all the confusion, they all became 31s at any rate, so why complicate what was supposed to be something was there to make thwir identification simpler for those who aren’t conversant with pre TOPS numbers...

• RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Had an interesting conversation today with a supervisor in a branch of WHS here in Edinburgh.  She suggested that because they still had copies of pt. 2; the fact that it isn't every month; and that it will be potentially a fairly short series means that they may not stock pt. 3.  She was really quite apologetic about that.

Regards,

Alex.

Hi again,

Had an interesting conversation today with a supervisor in a branch of WHS here in Edinburgh.  She suggested that because they still had copies of pt. 2; the fact that it isn't every month; and that it will be potentially a fairly short series means that they may not stock pt. 3.  She was really quite apologetic about that.

Regards,

Alex.

One wonders if they'll wish to stock part 5 on the Scottish Region...…..? 

• RMweb Premium

One wonders if they'll wish to stock part 5 on the Scottish Region...…..? 

In all honesty, that's a good question.  Another of their branches recently, in Aberdeen, stocks books on North-Eastern steam; they're filed in either Transport or Scottish interest sections.  It's a pity that the North-East in question is more about the Tyne, than either the Dee or the Don but geography seemed to be lost on them!!  (No offence meant to any of our brethren from NE of England)

In all honesty, that's a good question.  Another of their branches recently, in Aberdeen, stocks books on North-Eastern steam; they're filed in either Transport or Scottish interest sections.  It's a pity that the North-East in question is more about the Tyne, than either the Dee or the Don but geography seemed to be lost on them!!  (No offence meant to any of our brethren from NE of England)

Part four will be on the North Eastern Region

• 4 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Hi again,

Finally managed to pick up a copy last Saturday in Wigan!  Couldn't find copies up here so had a look around when in the North-West last week.  Tried various vendors from Carlisle southward - Chester was the only other place where I found it.

Anyway, it was well worth the effort in hunting down a copy as it was just as good as the first two parts.  Now looking forward to the remainder of them.

It'll be interesting to see where I get part 4.

Regards,

Alex.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again,

Finally managed to pick up a copy last Saturday in Wigan!  Couldn't find copies up here so had a look around when in the North-West last week.  Tried various vendors from Carlisle southward - Chester was the only other place where I found it.

Anyway, it was well worth the effort in hunting down a copy as it was just as good as the first two parts.  Now looking forward to the remainder of them.

It'll be interesting to see where I get part 4.

Regards,

Alex.

evening,

prob best to buy direct,

https://shop.kelsey.co.uk/site/searchList

Part Three will be on sale in the shops for a little while longer, after then will be available still direct.

Wimborne, where time stays still.....

Still two copies of Part 2 on the shelf in WHS; no sign of Part 3.

Looks like I'll be ordering online again for Part 4.

From the publisher's website:

#4 ER - Northern Section

#5 WR - South Wales and Bristol

#6 SR - London, South West

#7 ScR

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak

Wimborne, where time stays still.....

Still two copies of Part 2 on the shelf in WHS; no sign of Part 3.

Looks like I'll be ordering online again for Part 4.

From the publisher's website:

#4 ER - Northern Section

#5 WR - South Wales and Bristol

#6 SR - London, South West

#7 ScR

Only ONE part for the Scottish Region..really?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 25/08/2018 at 13:45, 18B said:

You probably won't thank me for this, but the coverage of Stratford and Temple Mills has omitted the short-lived EWS servicing depot that was erected at Temple Mills around the turn of the present century. It was before the present Eurostar depot was established and - from memory - was further to the north of the then new Orient Way, on what is now the end of the carriage sidings and waste land/parking area.

As a survey of BRs depots, it was outside the scope of the bookazine to include it.

Bit of a long shot but I don’t suppose you managed to collate any information on the EWS depot at Temple Mills? If not is there any places you’d recommend going for more information? There’s hardly any photos let alone information available on the shed etc which would be really helpful given I’m planning a P4 layout based on the site. 

Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated.

Will

• 3 months later...
On 30/01/2021 at 17:33, Southwich said:

Bit of a long shot but I don’t suppose you managed to collate any information on the EWS depot at Temple Mills? If not is there any places you’d recommend going for more information? There’s hardly any photos let alone information available on the shed etc which would be really helpful given I’m planning a P4 layout based on the site. 

Thanks in advance, any help would be much appreciated.

Will

it’s covered in part ten of on shed