The Pentewan Railway - MJT Lewis

brianusa

The latest version of this relatively obscure little railway that ran between St Austell and Pentewan Harbour.  It is of particular interest as it ran close by my grandmothers house in Polgooth and she regaled me with stories of the train in her younger days.  Most of it forgotten!

From Twelveheads Press.

Brian.

Edited by brianusa
  • Like 3

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

I know Brian said that above he'd bought the older version, but for the sake of clarity for those that don't know, the older book (1981 I think) is a vastly inferior book to the new one.

Which at £25.00 is, in my opinion, an absolute bargain.

http://titfield.co.uk/Book-shelves/Books-H2-det.htm#5051

As for sending books across the pond, well it's a blooming long way from Blighty, invloves a lot of that salty and wet stuff and I haven't yet found anyone who is prepared to carry them over there for nothing or even next to nothing.

Happy reading!

Not Jeremy

• Like 2

Not Jeremy?  Whomever then, I was happy enough to read Twelveheads ad and indeed happy to spend GBP25 for the new book but the postage was more than the cost of the book, 35Pd v 25Pd.  Whilst I am aware of the high cost of postage to the US, sadly it was the deal breaker and the older version is good enough for me nowadays.

Brian.

I am making a return visit to Charlestown next month, and on my list of things to do is the coast path walk to Pentewan.

Should I get that far I hope to spend a little more time exploring the harbour area, though I doubt I will get time to walk up along the course of the line to  St Austell.

I often look out for railway books about places I have visited, so I will look out for that book,

cheers 

• Like 1

The old track bed would be a good way of getting back to Charlestown. We quite often us the path to get to the ship inn, also a good recommendation.

I'm going to get the book as I have walked the path from St Austell so menu times.

Marc

• RMweb Gold

Not Jeremy?  Whomever then, I was happy enough to read Twelveheads ad and indeed happy to spend GBP25 for the new book but the postage was more than the cost of the book, 35Pd v 25Pd.  Whilst I am aware of the high cost of postage to the US, sadly it was the deal breaker and the older version is good enough for me nowadays.

Brian.

I can only echo what Not Jeremy (Simon) has said, Brian, in that the new book is an improved and re-vamped version of the original. I believe that Twelveheads may be doing this with one or two of their other titles at the moment as well.

Tim and all, over the years I have literally spent a small fortune buying and shipping books from the UK and because of my inherent interest in all things Cornish particularly those railway related I already had a fair knowledge of this little line 'on the way to Grandmas house', literally, but not much before those travels. So the version I have adequately fills in the missing years and has added to my interest and satisfied my curiosity. There's not much to it really after all it was only about three miles long but one that attracts one to such railways.

Brian.

• Like 1