Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Back to the car via Mottram, Hollingworth, Tintwistle and Hadfield, only 23 miles but some of it hard work.

Certainly is some hard riding round that area. I lived in Tintwistle for a few years before moving into the next valley south. An interesting ride on that side of Longdendale is to go down past the United Utilities site at Tintwistle which used to be the start of the narrow gauge line up to the Woodhead Dam. At the bottom end of the yard the site of the level crossing can still be seen. Just to the east of that there used to be a bridge across a water channel but that has gone now except for the centre pier. At Vale House Dam you can climb up to the old trackbed and in winter still follow it to Rhodeswood Dam. From there you can ride most of it right up to Torside Dam. Further on there are several parts you can still follow right up to Woodhead Dam at Crowden, although the last section of the concession path is closed at the moment because the steps at the end have collapsed.

Some of my rides direct from home are via Hadfield - Woodhead - Dunford Bridge to Holmfirth or Penistone, via Stalybridge to Diggle, to Stockport via Broadbottom, Godley and the Cheshire Lines then back via Marple.

I tend to do eMTB on the longer runs these days. Today was to Hayfield then via Edale Cross to Edale, Mam Nick, Rushup Edge then Pennine Bridleway to Hayfield, the old Hayfield branch towards New Mills and over Cown Edge back to the A624. 

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

Thanks, I'd missed that thread entirely - no ideas how!

An enlargement of the fastening of the cross beam would be very useful, thanks. Nice to see the "new" colour of the pantographs - much what I thought it would be but they very quickly turned fairly black.

These are anchor posts where separate sections of catenary overlap, the wires run up out of contact to these and there will be another pair facing the other way somewhere down the train. I'll have at least one set of these on the layout between the tunnel and Moorend Lane.

Mike

I'm assuming you will end up with quite a few anchor posts around the junction itself as well to cater for all the overhead wires for the sidings and going down the colliery branch. 

Have you noticed that there were more than one type anchor post as well? The ones along the Worsborough branch were a lot more substantial than the ones used elsewhere. Oh and have you spotted the double facing anchor post that sat along side the Banking siding at Wentworth junction? See below.....

image.png.053b2fd2fad70778e5df5bc28581a3a6.png

John

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, TheSignalEngineer said:

Certainly is some hard riding round that area. I lived in Tintwistle for a few years before moving into the next valley south. An interesting ride on that side of Longdendale is to go down past the United Utilities site at Tintwistle which used to be the start of the narrow gauge line up to the Woodhead Dam. At the bottom end of the yard the site of the level crossing can still be seen. Just to the east of that there used to be a bridge across a water channel but that has gone now except for the centre pier. At Vale House Dam you can climb up to the old trackbed and in winter still follow it to Rhodeswood Dam. From there you can ride most of it right up to Torside Dam. Further on there are several parts you can still follow right up to Woodhead Dam at Crowden, although the last section of the concession path is closed at the moment because the steps at the end have collapsed.

Some of my rides direct from home are via Hadfield - Woodhead - Dunford Bridge to Holmfirth or Penistone, via Stalybridge to Diggle, to Stockport via Broadbottom, Godley and the Cheshire Lines then back via Marple.

I tend to do eMTB on the longer runs these days. Today was to Hayfield then via Edale Cross to Edale, Mam Nick, Rushup Edge then Pennine Bridleway to Hayfield, the old Hayfield branch towards New Mills and over Cown Edge back to the A624. 

I live in Barnsley now so I'm not frightened of hills but that sounds a fearsome ride - I don't blame you for taking the ebike on it. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, John76 said:

Mike

I'm assuming you will end up with quite a few anchor posts around the junction itself as well to cater for all the overhead wires for the sidings and going down the colliery branch. 

Have you noticed that there were more than one type anchor post as well? The ones along the Worsborough branch were a lot more substantial than the ones used elsewhere. Oh and have you spotted the double facing anchor post that sat along side the Banking siding at Wentworth junction? See below.....

image.png.053b2fd2fad70778e5df5bc28581a3a6.png

John

I can't really put everything in because of the extreme compression of the layout, I'll work out the wire runs through the junction first - bearing in mind the baseboard joints as well. I'll do some structure experiments with the simple bits at each end first when I've worked out the basic construction of all the components, the catenary itself will be soldered up from piano wire.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

I live in Barnsley now so I'm not frightened of hills but that sounds a fearsome ride - I don't blame you for taking the ebike on it. 

Certainly was, only about 30 miles but over 5000 feet of climbs. I can still manage about 3000 feet on an ordinary bike but not over that terrain.

Fortunately three of the big climbs from the Gnat Hole at Glossop to the first summit on the A624, Mam Nick and the climb out of the Sett Valley on the way back were on tarmac but the 4000 feet of off- road descents and the peat seation along Rushup Edge were as bad as the climbs, I've got the marks to show for it.

• RMweb Premium

I rode over Mam Nick (from the Rushup Edge side) last year on a long circular route from Yorkshire Bridge, that was vicious, nice run down Edale but I still had the climb through Bamford to look forward to. The 50 miles or so had already included a lot of climbing between Bradwell and Tunstead, one thing last year's lockdown allowed was lots of cycling so it was easy to keep fit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

this one is being modified to keep the pan head level so more later.

I was going to ask that. Look forward to seeing how you do it.

• RMweb Premium

It's just a lash up at the moment although it does work, difficult to fit on a pan attached to the loco and painted - I'll find something better for production EM1s. Details and maybe a video later.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Glad to see it runs ok despite me weathering it!

More new wagons as well.

The layout could easily tie operators up in knots.. no suprises there then.

Baz

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

It's time we had a proper running session with WJ and find out what we can and can't do.

Yes, I will have a chat with Red Leader today...

Baz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

So a pleasant Friday enjoyed driving trains on Wentworth, as usual alternative methods of operating the layout were explored(!).   Thanks to Mike and Judith for the hospitality. 

And the last of teh PO wagons have been delivered for testing... no photos though... I forgot (Doh!)

Baz

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

some more locos for use on Wentworth Junction. Both owned by Mike Edge

A Hornby English Electric 350hp diesel shunter

252268369_wentworth08(2).JPG.d39df58436a8c6e50fcb146e0b5aa7bb.JPG

and the other side

1083531745_wentworth08fromrear(2).JPG.c89b26a4d7f959c44b42654fc5a44de2.JPG

based on a photo of tow of these locos at Manvers Main..

and an Airfix Brush Type 2 A1A A1A

1689401772_wentworthBrushType2.JPG.cec512d11700bea3d7ac8bd40d12ad3a.JPG

and the other side

783408615_wentworthBrushType2otherside.JPG.d0a6afa06e842d82c70563423f9388ec.JPG

Hope these are ok? Second photo now corrected

Baz

Edited by Barry O
second photo now corrected
  • Like 4
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

• RMweb Premium

(Shhh, the last photo need(ed) changing Barry :rolleyes: ....sorry.)

But very realistic weathering, I particularly like the 08. :good_mini:

Edited by 03060
Baz kindly changed the photo mentioned.
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Barry O said:

and the other side

and the other side

1872857000_wentworthBrushType2.JPG.e3b43835891e9a091fa6c97b48d0205e.JPG

Hope these are ok?

Baz

They look good - but what does the other side of the Brush 2 look like?

• Funny 3

12 hours ago, Barry O said:

and the other side

and the other side

1872857000_wentworthBrushType2.JPG.e3b43835891e9a091fa6c97b48d0205e.JPG

Hope these are ok?

Baz

Glad to see Mike approves of the Airfix Brush Type 2.
This tempts me to repaint my old warrior.
Chris.

• RMweb Premium

I've had it for many years although it's never done much running until now, I also have a Triang one with two power bogies but that one drew far too much current on test. The Airfix one does the colliery trip without any difficulty despite being only powered on one end. I should really have an EE type 3 but the only one I have is a WR loco and that's a Triang one with two power bogies (Q kits Deltic bogies, not the Triang ones).

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I should really have an EE type 3 but the only one I have is a WR loco and that's a Triang one with two power bogies (Q kits Deltic bogies, not the Triang ones).

Is that the one that runs on Cwmafon?