Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium

Thanks for posting the photos Graham, the layout behaved itself pretty well and I think we may have discovered the best way of working it. 

The (newcomer and seated!) front operator was mainly occupied with the banking and colliery operations in the down direction, fiddle yard operator (Baz) mostly occupied with down trains and colliery trip working while I used the other mainline control position to run most of the up trains (which mostly run through without stopping) and returning bankers. The link system allows any control position access to any part of the layout.

From yesterday's experience it would seem that three operators are ideal but the layout can reasonably be run with two.

• Like 6
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Michael Edge said:

Thanks for posting the photos Graham, the layout behaved itself pretty well and I think we may have discovered the best way of working it. 

The (newcomer and seated!) front operator was mainly occupied with the banking and colliery operations in the down direction, fiddle yard operator (Baz) mostly occupied with down trains and colliery trip working while I used the other mainline control position to run most of the up trains (which mostly run through without stopping) and returning bankers. The link system allows any control position access to any part of the layout.

From yesterday's experience it would seem that three operators are ideal but the layout can reasonably be run with two.

I hope the 'prentice operator is now familiar with the traditional LMRS cry...

• Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

The link system allows any control position access to any part of the layout.

Common Link Cab Control.  That takes me back!

Paul.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
58 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Common Link Cab Control.  That takes me back!

Paul.

It is an excellent system, provided that you remember to TURN YOUR BL00DY LINKS OFF!!!!!

Edited by St Enodoc
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

that three operators are ideal but the layout can reasonably be run with two

I suspect it might get a bit hairy with two once the signals are installed.

• RMweb Premium
Just now, St Enodoc said:

I suspect it might get a bit hairy with two once the signals are installed.

Should be fine.. its who operates the signals   

Baz

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, St Enodoc said:

It is an excellent system, provided that you remember to TURN YOUR BL00DY LINKS OFF!!!!!

That’s why I would have links switched at both ends: ‘I’ can always turn ‘them’ off.  Co-operative to turn on, UDI to turn off.

Paul.

• RMweb Premium
48 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

That’s why I would have links switched at both ends: ‘I’ can always turn ‘them’ off.  Co-operative to turn on, UDI to turn off.

Paul.

They already are..

System has been in use on Leeds MRS CIO for many years.. and on members layouts for that long... 

Baz

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Trams and Locos said:

Of all the layouts through time, the worst or was it the best for the Link cry was Leeds Victoria in its final form. 

Perhaps all the energy expended in hollering was a way to keep warm in the Corn Exchange...

• Funny 3

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Work started on the scenery now.

IMG_0789.jpg.913e282e00c48bbfbc28ba54f9fd17cd.jpg

The land falls quite steeply from above the tunnel down to Moorend Lane, the cutting sides are steep and partly exposed rock and it's all covered in trees now. I'm building up the ground with polystyrene blocks first, then carve them to the final shape and add some filler. Then it's into the (very unfamiliar to me) green stuff....

• Like 7
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

The new O4 on test earlier this week.

IMG_1258.JPG.892d6b844a90dea393bb9349517b3853.JPG

Trying it out on the heaviest down train (westbound steel) it needs a bit more weight to get this one up the WJ starter but more problems came in the fiddle yard. The 15mm square motor is very slow running and probably needed a higher gear ratio - the banking locos al run faster and finished up telescoping the back end of the train in the fiddle yard. 63745 may find itself restricted to up trains, should be no problem on Herculaneum Dock next month though.

This and the B7 are now with Barry for a good coat of Mexborough filth.

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 5 weeks later...
On 30/08/2021 at 10:08, Michael Edge said:

The B7 has been on test this week.

IMG_1234.JPG.11465aecd48354fe44bc63a39b4d478c.JPG

Seen here crossing Moorend Lane on the part fitted goods which will be it's normal duty on WJ, it did struggle a bit to get up to the starter signal so probably needs a bit more weight. Back in the workshop now for varnishing and glazing then it will be handed over to Baz for the filth to be added.

Is this one of your kits?

• RMweb Premium

So the ex GC locos are weathered

the B7

413126150_MiekEdgeB7(3).jpg.abb44c11ae5f0411f256e5c0c22c94bb.jpg

and

705563217_MikeEdge04part2(2).jpg.6da99ae2093ce4485dfb8073338ea8c5.jpg

the 04

and I introduce you to another loco for Wentworth..

1276712979_BRK1dirtyside1.jpg.8c057cb249bff2dc1fd0b3a991e304b7.jpg

a Hornby K1, renumbered and weathered.. Thanks to Mike Edge for an etched smokebox number plate!

Baz

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Barry O said:

and I introduce you to another loco for Wentworth..

1276712979_BRK1dirtyside1.jpg.8c057cb249bff2dc1fd0b3a991e304b7.jpg

a Hornby K1, renumbered and weathered.. Thanks to Mike Edge for an etched smokebox number plate!

Baz

I didn't realise any of the GNR/LNER moguls were regular in this area?

• RMweb Premium
6 minutes ago, Traintresta said:

I didn't realise any of the GNR/LNER moguls were regular in this area?

They weren't but we have a photo of this one in the area

Baz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gorton had 9 or 10 of the Peppercorn K1s  from new (July/ August 1949) to May 1950. Of these 62020 was also apparently loaned/transferred to Brunswick for a couple of weeks. So they may have made it to Wentworth Jct then (although I've only got photographic evidence of them at Sheffield).  Interesting that one reappeared in the Wath/Penistone area later on - presumably a Doncaster one?

I've no idea about the Wath branch, but GN locos were still surprisingly common post-war over Woodhead with (apart from the obvious K3s)  J6s, K2s and O2s all being seen regularly for periods (and the last O3s putting in the odd appearance) prior to MSW electrification.

Simon

Edited by 65179
weeks not months for Brunswick allocation

• RMweb Premium

I have a photo of 62015 (which was at Gorton until May 1950) at Strafford crossing with coal empties - I didn't know about the Brunswick transfer though, I've never seen any photos of K1s in the Liverpool area and I certainly didn't see any there.

There was a big variety of motive power on the Worsbrough in pre-electric days, strangest probably a batch of N2s at Mexborough used for banking. I have a photo of one of these and the Garratt banking a coal train but unfortunately they had been sent away (probably to great relief all round) just before nationalisation. GC 2-6-4T (L3 - we have one of these courtesy of Baz) were another pre-nationalistion try out but again out of period.

O2, K3 and J6 were quite common, I don't think I've seen a K2 though.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, Michael Edge said:

I have a photo of 62015 (which was at Gorton until May 1950) at Strafford crossing with coal empties - I didn't know about the Brunswick transfer though, I've never seen any photos of K1s in the Liverpool area and I certainly didn't see any there.

O2, K3 and J6 were quite common, I don't think I've seen a K2 though.

Mike,

K2s were mostly Colwick and Immingham ones, which might point to them mostly working via Sheffield.

Simon

• RMweb Premium
9 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

@Michael Delamar's topic includes his post about spotting notes recording K1s at Walton-on-the-Hill:

62048 in 1956 and various Gorton ones when new.

Simon

Edited by 65179