Wentworth Junction

• 3 weeks later...

Questions if I may.

Your hilllside material looks to be 50mm insulation, which has been cut and shaped somehow. The shaping is very tidy indeed, and I wonder how you did the cutting, and also if there was a lot of mess afterwards? I only have to look at this kind of material and there seems to be bits flying around everywhere!

Many thanks,

John.

• RMweb Premium

I cut it with an old bread knife which slices through this stuff very cleanly, it does make a bit if a mess (easily swept up) but doesn't crumble like cheaper insulation. I mostly glue it down in blocks with PVA and Gorilla glue and do most of the shaping after it has all set, sand and knife filler on to it later. Next job will be to paint it all brown before adding all the vegetation.

I've nearly finished the next board now, the one with Moorend Lane under the railway, same technique with the addition of some squirty expanding foam to fill in places. Once it has gone off this can be sliced to shape with the same knife, more photos tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Looks like its starting to come together.

Have you left the 'Y' hangers off the portals until you work out the position of the wires in relation to the track, and will the height of the contact wires drop as it goes into the tunnel as the prototype did? 

John

• RMweb Premium

First test section of catenary made this weekend.

1835577966_ScreenShot2021-12-05at17_47_10.png.4402baa3e788e03cc8c141a908067a14.png

First of all the wire runs are worked out on the layout plan, straight lines between each portal starting from the rail fitted inside the tunnel. As long as the run stays within the gauge the pans will stay under the wires - at least in 00 gauge.

1887558552_ScreenShot2021-12-05at17_48_29.png.7e302a0fc72daf9210cf275c5cb83ee3.png

The runs are set out in a line and drawn up in detail, then printed out.

IMG_0968.jpg.ab8f0db2350a076ea3bb04234ee7d428.jpg

Drawing taped to the bench, first in place is the contact wire, .4mm piano wire. Short droppers added from .3mm n/s wire, all bent into a U shape to increase contact area for the soldering. Then the auxiliary catenary wire is added, again from .4mm piano wire. All soldering done with phosphoric acid flux and 2% silver tin/lead solder.

IMG_0969.jpg.b04598b80b7129cf46d2a57e1ac72230.jpg

Longer droppers added from .3 n/s and finally the catenary wire from .4mm piano wire - this is all the opposite way round to full size construction of course but the main point is that the contact wire stays straight and smooth underneath.

IMG_0970.jpg.6dd3faed3d6c9a0cef4c1943a738de0c.jpg

All together and removed from the drawing, I've made a set at each portal position which may not turn out to be absolutely accurate - it may need some slight alteration when it goes on the layout. I'll fit just this length in place to test all the pans underneath it, they run on into the tunnel already and can just spring up when they leave this bit. Just have to remember not to go wrong line with pans up!

• Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7
  • Round of applause 1

Mike 

This all looks great. How easy was it to solder the wires to the registration arms while keeping it under tension and in the right place?

Also, how long is the wire run you have built and does it go over any baseboard joints?

John

• RMweb Premium

To check the position of the wire run I laid each portal down flat on the track and ran a ruler between them, as long as it stays within the 16.5mm gauge the pans will stay under the wire. The catenary wire supports soldered in under the top beam next but I realised I had to cut a fine slot in them to get the wire through on assembly (still thinking about this - if you look carefully one of them fell apart while soldering up!). The register arms were added in line with the catenary wire insulators. 

The catenary wire is soldered on first, then the contact wire which locates in a small notch in the register arm, finally the auxiliary catenary wire over the top of the horizontal arm.

There is no tension, that's the whole point of using straight steel wire as opposed to copper or n/s - the portals aren't fixed in any way yet, just dropped into holes in the baseboard. This first piece is 3ft long (the length of the piano wire as bought) and stops just short of the first baseboard joint, experiments in joining wire and connecting over baseboard joints will be done later, this bit will just test how it runs. I'll put the Y brackets and register arms in for the down line now but not the wire since there will be no way of running the pans under the start of it, the lead in will be at the other end under Gilroyd Lane bridge.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2