Wentworth Junction

• RMweb Premium

I take it that the J11 had to retrieve it's brake van from the up line (1st photo) before any further progress by the WD. Is the WD returning the empties to this colliery or just passing through ?

All looks very entertaining, anyway.

Edited by 03060

• RMweb Premium

Yes, the brake van is uncoupled on the up main and the colliery empties usually shunted into the up siding with the brake van now on the up end ready to be propelled to the pit. In this case the train was one wagon too long so the J11 had to retreat out of the way. The WD is on an empty "double load" train on its way back to Wath yard, Wentworth Silkstone pit was a trip working from Barnsley Junction although the working timetable shows one path a day to Wath. The coal from the pit went this way right into the MGR era when it required four EM1s and a diesel to work it - the diesel brought the train from the pit, two EM1 bankers pulled it out on to the up main (there was just enough wiring on the pit branch to reach) and two more hooked on the front. After a crash when the WJ signalman forgot about the bankers and another train ran into them the working was changed and the diesel (usually an EE type 3) took the fulls down to Wath where they reversed and came back with four EM1s.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

I should have added that the WD 2-8-0 is stopped at WJ's up home signal. All the signal positions are drawn on the layout and correspond to section breaks but it all looks a bit theoretical at the moment - it will probably be a long time beofre they actually appear.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/07/2020 at 19:12, Barry O said:

I always wanted a Triang EM2. Instead one Christmas I was given a n AL1 and the Triang overhead gear for a simple layout.

Well look what just arrived

1880911718_TriangEM2Electra.JPG.79044a97434c4c70c8e48a7029f9e725.JPG

Wheels are now scale ones, I need some Judith Edge kits pans and a bit of paint is required!

Baz

Barry

If you are in search of another Triang EM2 John Dutfield Model Shop in Chelmsford has a blue one on their second hand shelf. The shop's number is 01245 494455, and is now owned by Heather and Ken Wilkinson.

Paul Wilkinson - no relation to Heather or Ken

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

I work to an absolute minimum radius of 28", anything I build in 00 will go round this and my workshop test track has a 28" reverse curve. In the case of WJ I think there is only one curve approaching this and it's in the fiddle yard, the new crossover at the West Silkstone end. Sharpest visible main line curves on the layout are 39" (down end) and 40" (up end), the colliery branch starts at 34" radius. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

As far as I can see they are all LMS/BR round post types, all the old GC ones had gone by the time the wires went up. They are shown on the control panel back in this thread. It's not clear whether there were any distant arms (possibly fixed) on the Strafford crossing signals.

• RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Barry O said:

Penny just dropped.

6 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

Seven weeks!

Ah.

That might explain the loud noise I heard. After all, a fall of seven weeks would be an awfully long one and the resulting bang particularly noticeable.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold

Layout looks really good. Great progress. I note that your shed appears to be unlined walls. I just wondered if that was part of the plan and how you fare for temperature and damp? You did mention back along that the thermometer reached 37.5 at one point...

Ian

• RMweb Premium

It's not ideal but everything has survived a few years now. The high temperatures this year produced on small track buckle which was easily dealt with. Nothing in the fiddle yard or on Herculaneum Dock (or even the bits of Cwmafon hanging on the wall) has moved at all. Some rolling stock (nearly all steel tyres) was left out all last winter with no problems. I always intended to insulate the shed but haven't got round to it yet....

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Michael Edge said:

It's not ideal but everything has survived a few years now. The high temperatures this year produced on small track buckle which was easily dealt with. Nothing in the fiddle yard or on Herculaneum Dock (or even the bits of Cwmafon hanging on the wall) has moved at all. Some rolling stock (nearly all steel tyres) was left out all last winter with no problems. I always intended to insulate the shed but haven't got round to it yet....

would make it even more interesting  difficult fitting the layouts in the shed!

Baz

• Like 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

I've cut the baseboard back now for the underbridge.

IMG_0273.jpg.1bc40864bea7a61e294133b7162116fb.jpg

The position of the middle girder is shown, I'll build this before ballasting the track. This bridge deck was ballasted all over, the visible base underneath is made from concrete slabs. The up and down tracks split apart slightly round the girder.

IMG_0258small.jpg.f8560a530da36cd2243082c5b2ca2866.jpg

The bottom flange of the central girder is visible here.

A little bit of landscaping started where the gradient changes, just these two areas to ballast now. There are two permanent magnets in the ashpit road, these are for uncoupling  locos which may have returned coupled together.

IMG_0274.jpg.4251d7461d20f7ddb8d6d7e1f28ffa9d.jpg

• Like 17
  • Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...

Mike,

Good evening. Hope you are well?

Have you seen this yet?

image.png.7d1e5d4b208f6903e9bf520ce8794d60.png

Wath Yard, the Worsborough branch and Wentworth Junction (including SB diagram) feature with lots of photos I have never seen before. A shot of a Q4 and a brake van heading up the colliery branch and a V2 coming down the incline with empty coaching stock are just two examples.

Worth checking out.

John

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium

No. I'll have to look for it, thanks. With no exhibitions I don't get to see new books very often. I've got the two photos you mention though - there's a whole series of photos of the Q4 on the colliery trip from Henry Casserley when he went to WJ to photograph the Garratt.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

Moorend Lane bridge girders have to in place before I can finish the ballasting.

IMG_0314.jpg.de5eed14fece2028a98e8a328e2aed3b.jpg

The girders are set in concrete on the trackside, first stgae is to make up the concrete parts from laminated Plastikard and set them out on the drawing.

IMG_0318.jpg.2935a8b5223e3b7d4a753ad6cc446112.jpg

Girders built up and added to the concrete bases, only the top of the central one is visible. There are ribs all along the inside of the main girders but only one at each end on the outsides.

IMG_0316.jpg.fb064d205d468856269d241fd697cfd3.jpg

I then checked the fit on the layout, I've had to deepen the main girders a bit to cover the baseboard thickness - they should be only 4ft deep.

IMG_0328.jpg.d902dcef16cf1342068cd69f5b68a2ea.jpg

Walkways and handrails added now, (the cable supports are still in place on the bridge today), there is another row to add below this one to carry some smaller cables.

IMG_0333.jpg.e2679a4123f5530f2b441ffa0fbb4254.jpg

Painted now, ready to fit in place today.

• Like 13
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Living only a few miles from the remains of the Worsbrough branch does make research a bit easier.

1531066864_WP_20180902_15_54_34_Prosmall.jpg.daf48bf5cd111b675bc47af4ff679769.jpg

These are the cable supports along the Moorend Lane bridge, the top ones would have fitted round about 2.3mm diameter in 4mm scale, they are only on one side, question was what were they for?

Delving into books and photos it was soon clear, there was a 33kv cable connecting all the sub stations - and here on the branch it was carried very conspicuously on concrete posts, most of it in steel box section but some of it obviously round. There were some smaller cables as well, presumably these rested on the lower row of flat supports on the bridge.

This called for another research visit, this time a walk up to the junction from Kendal Green crossing to see if we could find any remaining posts.

1350839949_IMG_0320small.jpg.6f1e003e7b0bac5fa5b5464fb8a2ce34.jpg

First thing that came to light was this interesting artefact - looks like a concrete cable support, I've no idea what the other object is but it looks as if it belonged to the railway.

382384374_IMG_0319small.jpg.e79baeef726adb0df9bf6b0cd0f2d64a.jpg

Next, these castings on one wall of an overbridge - I've photographed these before without realising what they were but they must have been to carry the 33kv cable along here. There's a trough along the bottom of the wall so the other cables may well have been down there,

1227179424_IMG_0322small.jpg.cfe02eb83d7971c52110f484abb5e623.jpg

Near the bridge we found three remaining posts in place, at 14ft and 7ft spacings - so presumably they were set at 7ft intervals and one is missing from here.

1232043663_IMG_0327small.jpg.8b7c1d3c58b8d50e315d50d5f0a323ce.jpg

On the way back this was spotted in the undergrowth - a complete post, uprooted and thrown on the other side of the line. 4 1/2in square with a flat top and 8ft long, not clear how much was buried in the ground but the bolts for the main cable carrier can clearly be seen. The other holes were presumably to allow the cable to be lifted to combat colliery subsidence which always plagued this line. the OLE equipment was also adjustable for height along here.

All this gave an excellent picture of what the cables looked like, I now need to work out where to put them. They were mostly along the down side (Strafford sub station is on this side) but near WJ they run for some distance on the up side - possibly because this is where the signal box, point rodding etc. was. I can't quite identify where the cable crossed sides though.

• Like 11
  • Round of applause 1

Mike 

Is this what your looking for?

IMG_0107.JPG.ebd985ae51dc7085381dee0c78c86ec3.JPG

IMG_0108.JPG.61f8a51d6eb45d71fb8a89c06e175306.JPG

There are still lots of these on the line up to Deepcar. These are near the TSC in Beeley Wood which can be accessed from Oughtibridge  if you fancy a walk.

I have the dimensions for these somewhere if you need them.

John

• Like 4

Lovely progress so far Mike, i worked in Dodworth for 10 years so i recognize the names of the places that you refer too as well. Indeed some of our customers occupy some of the former colliery and rail places such as Warwick Wards at Blacker Hill and Boylins at the old Strafford pit yard

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
14 minutes ago, Barry O said:

Have you tried a long Testrol though it?

Additional benefit: if it knocks off the bridge girders, you have a suitable wagon to put them on...

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4