How Not To Draw Attention To Yourself

• RMweb Gold

Doncaster, 31st July 12.20pm.

Doncaster, like many 'traditional' railway towns* is use to having a few railway enthusiasts and photographers on its platforms.  For the most part everyone is happy and barring the odd over zealous member of staff/contract security official, or dumb photographer/enthusiast who can't follow simple rules, there isn't an issue.

I'm pretty sure that the guy in the photographs below isn't a member of staff, off duty or otherwise.  If he is, I apologise and will happily ask for this thread to be deleted.  Neither, I'm reasonably sure, was he a passenger waiting for a train.  I've disguised his face to provide the individual with some degree of anonymity.

post-414-0-07217000-1533117966.jpg

post-414-0-35523900-1533117975.jpg

Now far be it from me to question anyones choice of clothing, I've made a few sartorial gaffs in my time, as Mrs 4630 will confirm.  But on the assumption that this guy is an enthusiast/photographer, I really do wonder why he felt it necessary or appropriate to wear a hi-viz jacket.

I didn't challenge the guy, I value my safety and well being these days, and neither did any of the staff that I'm aware.  On reflection, I probably should have made a member of staff aware but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Oh yes, the sign saying 'Passengers must not pass this point' is there for a reason too. 

* With the exception of Blackpool North, of course.

• Like 1

This feels like a topic for a certain 'Real' photography group - we shouldn't start a name & shame thread.

But I agree there is a type of person who puts on a hi-viz to make themselves look official and really they should be challenged by station staff or BTP if they are on the station.

• RMweb Premium

What's the issue with him wearing hi-viz? Genuine question, why is it problem?

The increased visibility it affords is offset by the camouflage hat anyway, so his visibility is identical to any normally-attired person.

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Fine-line topic, isn't it?

Its probably not a great idea to wear hi-vi in that situation, for fear of being mistaken for a member of staff, but I can't imagine that there is a law against wearing hi-vi when on or about railway premises, or anywhere else come to that.

Cycling gear is often distinctly hi-vi, for good reason, and although a lot of people wear green cycling tops, I wear orange, because I'd swear blind that it gives better visibility, especially out on country roads, and my young son has a very hi-vi orange lightweight anorak, which he wears when cycling to school. I'm not sure I'd be too happy to be told to take my cycling jacket off as soon as I entered a railway station, especially if it was windy and raining.

Kevin

• RMweb Gold

This feels like a topic for a certain 'Real' photography group - we shouldn't start a name & shame thread.

Just to provide some re-assurance on that point, my intention wasn't to name and shame. 

• RMweb Premium

Even if you are mistaken for a member of staff, who cares? Is that like saying you shouldn't wear a blue shirt in Tesco?

Obviously if he's using hi-viz to attempt to gain access to areas off limits to the public - ie he wandered down onto the track then that's a bad idea, but simply standing on the platform in hi-viz seems fine to me.

• Like 1

I suppose there is a chance he might have been on his way back from work, or he'd ridden a bike or motorbike to the station. However, it might be he had a Hi-Viz fetish, I often wondered if the former Chancellor George Osborne had a workwear fetish given the number of photo ops he turned up for in a Hi-Viz.

It must make it difficult for train drivers approaching a station to differentiate between genuine track workers or staff on the platform doing their job who might need a quick toot on the horn to remind them you are approaching, and those not quite so normals who are waiting for the train to go to work or poncing about in Hi-Viz because it makes them feel good for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Is it visibility or visability, the latter gets a spellchecker underline on my browser and I feel the former is the correct spelling as well.

The problem I see with hi-viz jackets is that like the guard/prisoner experiment in the 1960s the wearer of the hi-viz can begin to feel empowered way above what they actually represent, but that is whole other topic and this chap is just wearing said hi-viz and as suggested he might have actually arrived on a bike but he shouldnt really be wearing it I don't feel in an environment where other's wear them for actual personal safety.

• Like 1

There is a school of though which suggests that if you wear Hi Viz on the railway then the train driver has a much better chance of swerving around

you if you are a bit slow moving off the track after a head on shot.

The same school claims that Orange Hi Viz makes one look slimmer. The camouflage hat helps offset the impact of the Hi Viz.

Personally I keep bright yellow Hi Viz in the car in case I get a puncture etc. If I want to look a prat I have a red woolly hat with a bobble....

• RMweb Gold

Unfortunately there is a trend for the younger fraternity of what I would call ‘you tube’ spotters who wear hi-viz vests purposely so you will see them and give them ‘tonezzzzzzzzzzz’ as you pass

If the person in the OPs post was an official railway worker (on duty) then the hi-viz will have the name of his employer on the back and possibly the front Breast so they can be identified should a near miss or other incident happen

Oh and he should have safety boots on and I’m pretty sure sport direct don’t supply a ‘le coq sportif’ PPE range

Edited by big jim
  • Like 7

At Eastleigh SWR have this poster displayed...

attachicon.gif020.JPG

Specifically

attachicon.gif020b.jpg

I do like that sign and wish it was a bit more common so that the over officious numbskulls that populate some of our stations nowadays could take head. I'm not a "train spotter" or a photographer, but I've seen them being picked on before today. It does clear up quite a bit of grey area.

As for the Hi-Viz, as long as said person is not passing himself off as staff then I can't see the problem.

Could he be staff though waiting for a lift from a mate?

Jason

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Unfortunately there is a trend for the younger fraternity of what I would call ‘you tube’ spotters who wear hi-viz vests purposely so you will see them and give them ‘tonezzzzzzzzzzz’ as you pass

Fair enough - I wave at trains with my son in the hope that you'll get a blast of the horn! He's 18 months and doesn't care, but I feel warm and fuzzy inside!

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Is it visibility or visability, the latter gets a spellchecker underline on my browser and I feel the former is the correct spelling as well.

The problem I see with hi-viz jackets is that like the guard/prisoner experiment in the 1960s the wearer of the hi-viz can begin to feel empowered way above what they actually represent, but that is whole other topic and this chap is just wearing said hi-viz and as suggested he might have actually arrived on a bike but he shouldnt really be wearing it I don't feel in an environment where other's wear them for actual personal safety.

It isn't uncommon for people to be REQUIRED, to wear Hi-viz for their day jobs. It isn't exclusively an outfit for railways.

Most truck drivers here in Oz, have to wear them at all times on duty. Or else sites won't let you past the gate, until you're wearing one. I have one in my work vehicle, just in case, because I don't want to be turned away for such an inexpensive item. Their site rules apply, whether or not any visitors, think they're w***ers.

This guy could be such a person & its hardly practical to take it off. As long as he isn't pretending to be railway staff/contractor or go beyond the platform, then I see nothing wrong.

• RMweb Premium

In fairness the instruction is not to "impersonate a railway worker" By concentrating on hi vis clothing the wording gives rise to unintended restrictions on what people are permitted to wear.

Indeed, otherwise there would be rules against say, lady passengers wearing a bright green top, in case a driver thinks that a guard/station staff are giving the 'Right Away'.

• Like 1

The combination of hi-vi and camouflage clothing is to be seen in the clothing aisles of French supermarkets every autumn, in an effort to reduce 'friendly-fire' incidents during the hunting season. Perhaps this was a French 'ferrovipath'

The only time I've been mistaken for railway staff was at Gare Montparnasse, waiting for Lynne to finish work. I hadn't realised that dark blue blazer and mid-grey trousers were de-facto uniform for middle-management, so was somewhat surprised when an elderly woman started asking me for train information.

• Like 2

Indeed, otherwise there would be rules against say, lady passengers wearing a bright green top, in case a driver thinks that a guard/station staff are giving the 'Right Away'.

Green flags? What year is it?   :jester:

We've had plastic lollipops for years. 

https://blog.railwaymuseum.org.uk/the-piece-of-plastic-that-keeps-the-rail-network-running/

Jason

It isn't uncommon for people to be REQUIRED, to wear Hi-viz for their day jobs. It isn't exclusively an outfit for railways.

Most truck drivers here in Oz, have to wear them at all times on duty. Or else sites won't let you past the gate, until you're wearing one. I have one in my work vehicle, just in case, because I don't want to be turned away for such an inexpensive item. Their site rules apply, whether or not any visitors, think they're w***ers.

This guy could be such a person & its hardly practical to take it off. As long as he isn't pretending to be railway staff/contractor or go beyond the platform, then I see nothing wrong.

You are all right of course, really it is the intent of the person not what they are wearing - a chap on the platform dressed as the Fat Controller (insert other characters as desired) is just another person unless he attempts to interfere with the running of the trains, likewise a hi-viz.

I hadn't realised that dark blue blazer and mid-grey trousers were de-facto uniform for middle-management, so was somewhat surprised when an elderly woman started asking me for train information.

Surprised she didn't think you were a schoolboy!

If the person in the OPs post was an official railway worker (on duty) then the hi-viz will have the name of his employer on the back and possibly the front Breast so they can be identified should a near miss or other incident happen

So I am not an official railworker then as my company issued Hi-viz is plain on the back.

Whether he is a railworker or not (I highly doubt he is) he is past the do not pass sign so unless he is there in the course of his duties he shouldnt be there!

So jogging bottoms, a non hi-viz rucksack and trainers are PPI equipment now are they?

You can normally tell rail workers from the way they stand and walk and I would bet good money he isnt staff and is simply wearing a vi-viz so he can ignore the limit signs and wander where-ever he wants to.

Edit-

He is wearing trainers.

Edited by royaloak