Epoxy resin painting

Hi, recently I've been experimenting with epoxy polyurethane resin!

All goes well untill I paint it. But then after a few days of exposure to light/heat the paint bubbles.

Initialy I thought it was a reaction between the clearcoat and the paint, but after having tried all sorts of combinations of paint and clear I still get the same results.

I've tried acrylic, waterbased, and enamel products.
I usually leave the resin a day or two to cure. Should I wait longer? or am i missing something?
As always, thanks in advance.

Edited by vac_basher

Hi, recently I've been experimenting with epoxy resin!

All goes well untill I paint it. But then after a few days of exposure to light/heat the paint bubbles.

Initialy I thought it was a reaction between the clearcoat and the paint, but after having tried all sorts of combinations of paint and clear I still get the same results.

I've tried acrylic, waterbased, and enamel products.

I usually leave the resin a day or two to cure. Should I wait longer? or am i missing something?

As always, thanks in advance.

When you say Epoxy Resin, do you mean the two-part adhesive you have used to glue a resin based building (or wagon) together, or something else entirely??

If the former, have you washed it to within an inch of its life with washing up detergent, and let dry, before attempting to place paint of any hue upon it? I paint all my resin buildings, glued together with two-pack, with acrylic, in such a fashion, and I have not had the probs you describe.

I have had problems with small parts where I have had to resort to cyano-stuff (superglue) to keep them together, and found that a rub-down, some Fairy Liquid and then a thin coat of enamel primer, solved my crisis.

How long do you leave the resin to cure before painting? I suspect that it out-gases as it cures and, if the paint is a gas-proof layer, the gases blow bubbles.

This would make sense if you're modelling with epoxy putty. The volume that has to cure, and hence the gas path from the centre of the resin, would be massively greater than for epoxy glue in a normal joint, and the curing time could be longer. If it's Milliput, it needs several days to cure fully.

When you say Epoxy Resin, do you mean the two-part adhesive you have used to glue a resin based building (or wagon) together, or something else entirely??

Appologies Mike, what I mean is two part polyurethane resin mixed in equal quantaties.

How long do you leave the resin to cure before painting? I suspect that it out-gases as it cures and, if the paint is a gas-proof layer, the gases blow bubbles

That is what seems to be happening. The instructions say to leave it for 24 hours. But I usually leave it for 48 and still get the bubbles.