Kestrel sound

thesteambuff

• RMweb Gold

I purchased the loco from Richard. Thankfully he had milled out the chassis block above each of the bogies, this allows enough space for the fitting of two 24 x 30 x 5 speakers wired in parallel. As you can see from the photos I’ve mounted them in the roof firing the sound downwards, this seems to suit the Kestrel model as none of the fan grilles or exhausts are open.

Hope this helps

C58DBCB7-D465-4E7C-B6EA-FFC93E5DBE9F.jpeg

AEDAE670-3DC2-497F-BEE6-4970ABDF44F2.jpeg

• 2 years later...
  • RMweb Gold

Just finished Roads & Rails sound installation on the Kestrel.

ESU V5 decoder, plus 2 speakers - both 4 ohms, so in series.

Includes the 25 X 25 X 7mm small megabase, plus the newly available 25 X 18 X 10mm megabase.

A couple of platforms were added 60 thou plasticard X 25mm X 30mm to mount the speakers.

DSC07789.JPG.8563c7632bcb9fd36eb2b5e1ae9198a2.JPG

Edited by zr2498
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/07/2023 at 14:49, zr2498 said:

Just finished Roads & Rails sound installation on the Kestrel.

ESU V5 decoder, plus 2 speakers - both 4 ohms, so in series.

Includes the 25 X 25 X 7mm small megabase, plus the newly available 25 X 18 X 10mm megabase.

A couple of platforms were added 60 thou plasticard X 25mm X 30mm to mount the speakers.

DSC07789.JPG.8563c7632bcb9fd36eb2b5e1ae9198a2.JPG

Any metal work required?

How does it sound? Listening on the R&R site you don't get the "whistle" that people have commented on. Howes has a much more obvious "whistle", in my opinion, but the overall sound seems quite basic. Almost empty, if you see what I mean.

I was lucky enough to see Kestrel several times, most memorably charging through York, but as many others have commented, memories of fifty odd years ago are difficult to recall.

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, thesteambuff said:

Thankyou for posting i have 2 f those speakers but they are 8ohm would they work in parallel.

I haven't got the V5 decoder specification with, but seem to recall 4 to 32 ohms capability. So 2 X 8 ohms in parallel, makes 4 ohms which is OK