Siding at end of Platform

SeanG

Chessington South fit the bill ?

It appears that the coal depot was off what was originally intended to be the line to Leatherhead.

I was ideally looking for lines which led directly from the platform into a goods siding

You mean freight facilities on a headshunt, or a freight only line continuing through the end of a passenger station platform road?

For the second there will probably be plenty of examples. The first might have happened somewhere but I don't know of any examples myself.

You mean freight facilities on a headshunt, or a freight only line continuing through the end of a passenger station platform road?

For the second there will probably be plenty of examples. The first might have happened somewhere but I don't know of any examples myself.

Probably only happened when there were geographical constraints so the yard couldn't be alongside the station ....... Hemyock had a dairy beyond the platform, Bridport had a harbour branch and Burnham had a lifeboat (!) but I think they all had conventional goods yards as well.

Probably only happened when there were geographical constraints so the yard couldn't be alongside the station ....... Hemyock had a dairy beyond the platform, Bridport had a harbour branch and Burnham had a lifeboat (!) but I think they all had conventional goods yards as well.

As has been said, extensions beyond stations to quays, piers  and small ports were fairly common, apart from Looe, Fort William springs immediately to mind, At Fairford the goods yard, run round loop and loco shed were all beyond the single platform but Fairford was intended to be a through station on a longer railway to Cheltenham. There's a track plan here.

http://www.fairfordbranch.co.uk/Plans.htm

The extension once used by the lifeboat at Burnham on Sea had originally been a line that ran beyond the station's two platforms (one mainly for excursion traffic)  and onto a 900 ft stome pier built by the railway apparently for passengers coming over from S. Wales on the steamer they owned. The pier was built in 1858 but stopped being used as a railway facility in 1886 though was still used as a steamer pier until the early 20th Century after which it became too silted. 

Apart from the pier extension,  the station had a small but conventional goods yard with the goods shed behind the main platform adjoining the station building.

https://signalbox.org/diagrams.php?id=181

In the 1963 BBC film "Let's Imagine- A Branch Line Railway" with John Betjeman (available on BBC iPlayer and very well worth watching) there is a photo of the pier in its prime with what looks like two tracks and some pointwork. By the time Betjeman visited, the station was closed (it closed to goods in May 1963) but had been used for excursion trains until the previous year and was still intact with all its track. By then the branch ended at a buffer stop  before the esplanade but a single line of track was still present on what was left of the pier - That ended with the ramp that had been used by the RNLI. but the former lifeboat station was well inland of those buffers so I don't know when the practice of launching the lifeboat using the railway had ended.

There was of course the original G.C. Leighton Buzzard (Linslade) terminus which had a goods shed on the end of the headshunt but that station only ever existed in EM gauge and Peter Denny's imagination. (Apparently he sited it there because on the logical goods siding next to it, the goods shed would have fouled the station building when the  layout was folded)

Edited by Pacific231G

• RMweb Gold

Bude in Cornwall used to have a single terminus platform (with bay) which continued beyond the platform end to a run-round loop, and a separate line branching off beyond the end if the station to the harbour.

• RMweb Gold

You'd be hard put to find any terminus in South Wales where the line did not continue past the passenger station to either form a junction with another line (Rhymney, Treherbert) or to a colliery further up the valley (Maerdy, Abergwynfi, Gllfach Goch, Pontyberem).  Merthyr High Street, Barry Pier, arguably Cardiff Clarence Road although a nearby canal railway continued south; I'm scratching for more examples now.  Even rural branches like Cowbridge were stubs of railways that continued past the terminus at one time.

Not sure that's quite what you mean, though.

Some photos of Wrexham Central in 1980.

post-6748-0-54629500-1533323218.jpg

Looking towards Wrexham Exchange

post-6748-0-52438100-1533323229.jpg

DMU in the station

post-6748-0-58717300-1533323269.jpg

The ground frame controlling the siding connections

post-6748-0-15839100-1533323288.jpg

Looking to the station showing the trap points protecting the station from the siding

post-6748-0-93815900-1533323312.jpg

Looking the other way showing the DMU siding with the line formerly to Ellesmere on the right.

post-6748-0-26364400-1533323324.jpg

Mile post, measured from Ellesmere.

post-6748-0-88169700-1533323333.jpg

The end of the DMU siding; the former line to Ellesmere (which only ran to Abenbury Siding by at that time) appears out of use but I don't think it had been abandoned by then.

The siding was to allow a DMU to stable while another was entered the single line to the station. I think it was used to build up or split trains for the peak hours.

post-6748-0-54629500-1533323218.jpg

post-6748-0-52438100-1533323229.jpg

post-6748-0-58717300-1533323269.jpg

post-6748-0-15839100-1533323288.jpg

post-6748-0-93815900-1533323312.jpg

post-6748-0-26364400-1533323324.jpg

post-6748-0-88169700-1533323333.jpg

• Like 7

Fairford, terminus of the East Gloucestershire line, had a single platform, with goods siding, goods shed, run round loop, engine shed and turntable all beyond the end of the passenger line and platform. 

• Like 1

Croxley Green had a mod st yard beyond the station, and Chesham quite an extensive yard. I’ve often thought that Chesham is the great overlooked BLT, probably because the Met is only now becoming recognised by modellers as an interesting railway. It even has a convenient bridge as a scenic break. Nice photo here https://www.francisfrith.com/chesham/chesham-station-1906_53644 and a rather different one here https://mikemorant.smugmug.com/Trains-Railways-British-Isles/LT-railways/LT-railways-non-LT-steam/i-vCrZCN9/A

post-26817-0-50191000-1533326661_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Nearholmer

Barnoldswick. Single platform passenger station, with coal yard beyond - and on the far side of a level crossing.

In a way Ballina is/was similar, having a 'town' yard beyond a level crossing sat the platform end ...... though this was once on the long-closed line out to Killala and most, if not all, freight is handled in the container yard opposite the passenger platform.

• RMweb Premium

Bude in Cornwall used to have a single terminus platform (with bay) which continued beyond the platform end to a run-round loop, and a separate line branching off beyond the end if the station to the harbour.

The Bude harbour branch was reached before the station, from the goods yard. There was no siding beyond the platform. See post #52 here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73357-bude-station-yard-etc/page-3?hl=bude

David

Edited by Kylestrome