Siding at end of Platform

SeanG

• RMweb Gold

The Bude harbour branch was reached before the station, from the goods yard. There was no siding beyond the platform. See post #52 here:

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/73357-bude-station-yard-etc/page-3?hl=bude

David

Ah, first time i've actually seen the signalling diagram if Bude. From photos, I always assumed it curved away from the end of the platforms (although diverged before the run-round loop). Thanks for correcting me. Edited by Geep7

• RMweb Gold

Looe in Cornwall, the line continued past the platform to the harbour side.

The harbour part was almost an incidental (although there was regular traffic for many years) but the line to the harbour was actually a continuation of the goods yard which itself lay beyond the passenger platform.

• 4 weeks later...

The harbour part was almost an incidental (although there was regular traffic for many years) but the line to the harbour was actually a continuation of the goods yard which itself lay beyond the passenger platform.

Presumably the harbour had been of far greater importance when the branch was carrying mineral traffic from the Liskeard and Caradon railway serving the mining industry and stone quarries on Caradon Moor. That was originally the purpose of the line before the steep curving connection was made from Coombe to the main line at Liskeard station and there had been a passenger station at Moorswater. When I first visited the area in 1967-1969 the track was still laid past the warehouses on the quayside at Looe but mining had collapsed before the First World War and the line beyond Moorswater closed by the GWR presumably because the stone quarries weren't generating enough traffic. I don't know which part of the quays had been used for the tin copper and granite traffic but I'm guessing it wasn't the part where the more general warehouses were situated. Time for a visit to the National Library of Scotland's maps I think.