Freightliner Containers with Blue Stripes and Other Early Liveries

Gibbo675

On 03/08/2021 at 18:45, Mol_PMB said:

Ferry_Freightliner.jpg.0036e6ef11612e48e63b06dc296c46e8.jpg

The Paris-London Freightliner which operated in 1968 and 1969, via the train ferry. Slightly missing the point of the ease of trans-shipping containers...

Note the standard Freightliner flats modified with ferry tie-downs etc, and that only ISO containers are carried (no Freightliner ones)

I caught a rake of these in Aylesbury (Why??) in 1976, but they continued to have the fittings many years later - I would presume until the end. https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brferryfreightliner

Paul

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BernardTPM said:

Yes, though they used their smooth sided 30 foot container. They did do the 20 foot open as on the fourth flat there.

I think the open is a 30' and then there are three 10' boxes. The train is 12 wagons made up of two sets of 6.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

19 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

It's not that clear, but a comment on the photo says that the containers say Scottish Beef For Sainsburys which I believe Hornby made models of  many years ago.

Ferryhill 1968

JMB T63 4 Ferryhill D1842 on Up 1130 aberdeen to London Freightliner 10061968

I think that is the first shot I have seen of the Sainsburys Beef containers on a train, great find.

Cheers

James

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, montyburns56 said:

Don't you just love it when you are searching on Flickr for one thing and find something much more interesting instead...

Sainsbury's insulated 40ft container Newcastle 1968 

Freightliner flats with Containers

Ah so they did exist in 40ft, great pic. Hornby were bang on

Edit, 30ft... I should know well enough having done a fair few!

Edited by jessy1692

9 hours ago, markw said:

Here is a Freightliner one with a small bull logo on.

https://railphotoprints.uk/p692212777/h4C87EF28#h21226c50

Hi Mark,

That is interesting as the container box is a 20' insulated container and it would seem that it is being used for the beef traffic of William Donald and Son's. The cement traffic in Presflo tanks had similarly sized logos attached to them to shew usage.

Gibbo.

14 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Ties in nicely with the mention earlier that that the blue stripes boxes were used on bonded traffic to ports etc

I didn't realise those four-wheel container flats (were they FBB?) could carry two 20' boxes; previously, I've only seen them with a single 20', loaded centrally, or a 30'.

• Informative/Useful 1

46 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

I didn't realise those four-wheel container flats (were they FBB?) could carry two 20' boxes; previously, I've only seen them with a single 20', loaded centrally, or a 30'.

Those containers are Speedfreight types and will be on the appropriate Speedfreight conflats.

54 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

Sorry, they are only 27ft and a single container. As Mark says they are a Speedfreight container. They were on a converted Tube frame, which retained the original number. IIRC 25 were built. See and https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/speedfreight/e67e0ad67 and a lot more detailed shots from when I measured one. Details of building given, from 1963. 

One of those intermediate designs, short lived for their original use but introducing some important design and construction features. They, and the shorter Speedfreights, appear to have found a home in Scotland on the Whisky traffic with CLV numbers, as some of the photos above shoe.

I'm probably wrong but I think 27ft trailers may have been the longest permitted for road transport for a period in the 1960s. 

Paul

• Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

35 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Sorry, they are only 27ft and a single container. As Mark says they are a Speedfreight container. They were on a converted Tube frame, which retained the original number. IIRC 25 were built. See and https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/speedfreight/e67e0ad67 and a lot more detailed shots from when I measured one. Details of building given, from 1963. 

One of those intermediate designs, short lived for their original use but introducing some important design and construction features. They, and the shorter Speedfreights, appear to have found a home in Scotland on the Whisky traffic with CLV numbers, as some of the photos above shoe.

I'm probably wrong but I think 27ft trailers may have been the longest permitted for road transport for a period in the 1960s. 

Paul

Thanks for that, Paul. You're correct about trailer length, though to be absolutely correct, it was the combined length of tractor and trailer that was the issue. There was one type of tractor that could run with a 30' trailer, but I've forgotten which it was. As BR/ Freightliner liked to spread their business between the various UK manufacturers, they weren't going to risk someone putting the 'Wrong Sort of Trailer' behind one of the longer tractors. Even now, there are some arcane regulations; articulated car-transporter trailers have a maximum length limit of 12.5m, as opposed to 13.6 m for a 'normal' trailer.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

On 17/08/2021 at 20:14, montyburns56 said:

Slightly OT, but it's interesting because "This is on a special 15 set of brand new 20ft Bell Line Containers outshopped from WH Davis at Langwith Junction (near Shirebrook). Bell Line had offices at Stockton, Harwich"

Derby 1976 by transportsteve2011

unidentified Class 45 Derby Station 1976-ish

Derby Litchurch Lane built huge quantities of containers for Bell Line.

When I worked there 20 years ago and was modelling Irish railways, I went through the microfiche drawing archives and found the drawings for them. 

• Informative/Useful 1

On 17/08/2021 at 20:14, montyburns56 said:

Slightly OT, but it's interesting because "This is on a special 15 set of brand new 20ft Bell Line Containers outshopped from WH Davis at Langwith Junction (near Shirebrook). Bell Line had offices at Stockton, Harwich"

Derby 1976 by transportsteve2011

unidentified Class 45 Derby Station 1976-ish

Great pic, Bell Line containers always reminds me of being on holiday in Ireland and watching container trains around Waterford in the early 90s, lots of Bell Lines. Didn't realise they were around in the 70s in that livery.

3 hours ago, jessy1692 said:

Great pic, Bell Line containers always reminds me of being on holiday in Ireland and watching container trains around Waterford in the early 90s, lots of Bell Lines. Didn't realise they were around in the 70s in that livery.

They were around in the late 60s but the boxes were plain aluminium. I have a photo somewhere of a load of them in 1968. The black and white chevron logo was the same. 

• Informative/Useful 1