That's some absolutely fantastic modelling Duncan. The winter scene is really nice and something different, makes me feel cold just looking at the pics! You've got a lovely consistent finish across the layout and stock too, something so often missing

Jo

Hi,

Here's a link to my Flickr page where there are around 140 photos. My apologies if you've already been there! We will be at the Halifax Show 22 and 23 September. 

https://www.flickr.c...s/135257675@N08

Duncan

A super layout, nicely observed and well modelled. Its trump cards are the consistent finish (including weathering) across the whole layout and the seasonal setting. It all pulls together to give a realistic look and interesting scene.

G

Hi Duncan,

Just found your thread, Super stuff I just had a quick look at the pics on flickr too. I only went to Shirebrook a few times and always thought it would make a good model. 

Cheers Peter.

I spent a good while drooling looking at the Flickr stream. The only thing I can critique (and not something you can change) is that the fantastic modelling and weathering really does show up the over wide Dapol 56! Hopefully another one appears in future that lives up to your modelling

Jo

Edited by Steadfast

I spent a good while drooling looking at the Flickr stream. The only thing I can critique (and not something you can change) is that the fantastic modelling and weathering really does show up the over wide Dapol 56! Hopefully another one appears in future that lives up to your modelling

Jo

Kind words thank you. There are several compromises, as there are on most models that attempt to mimic an actual location. These include on our model (minor) alterations to track plan Missing buildings and relocation of buildings. Most of these were enforced upon us in order to keep the model within the 1ft 9inch maximum width of the main scenic boards. The back siding exists but curves away from the main line parallel with the branch to Warsop colliery and is shorter in reality. Since we had to re-position it we decided to extend along the back of the depot station area which gives us the chance to run a little local freight (other than coal!) This forced us to move the former station masters house to the north towards the road.

The down refuge siding has in reality only a catch point whereas we have modelled a stub line to a buffer stop at the exit to the down main, it just looked better!?  The road bridge across the main line at the north end of the model is a total fabrication but acts as a scenic break. The line to the south passing between the spoil heaps of Shirebrook colliery in reality is pretty much straight whereas we curve through 180 degrees to complete the oval. 

Having said all that it was very gratifying to receive the many positive comments from the many 'locals' that attended the Doncaster show. For example one woman said' We used to sit just there (pointing to a position close to the station road overbridge) watching the trains as kids, we used to try and guess how many wagons would be in the next approaching train.' A former employee of the railway thanked us for bring back good memories as the model was 'exactly as the real location- i used to eat my butties just there' and another said ' That was my office'.

Of course the station was never open during the period modelled but we changed that to add a little operational interest.

There remain a couple of projects to complete perhaps the most noticeable will be the installation of the tall radio mast by the depot administration /mess block, just got to get around to finish drawing the etch....

post-25565-0-32672000-1533897994_thumb.jpg

A super layout, nicely observed and well modelled. Its trump cards are the consistent finish (including weathering) across the whole layout and the seasonal setting. It all pulls together to give a realistic look and interesting scene.

G

Thanks G

Here's a photo of an unidentified class 31 rumbling over the crossover at Wood lane overbridge at the southern end of the layout.

• Like 9

That 31 shot looks amazing!

I do like it when people recognise something on a model, whether it's a distinctive building or a "that's what daddy works on" type comment, really satisfying and justifies the effort put in.

Jo

• RMweb Gold

Halifax 22 and 23 September see you there?

A bit far from Dorset although I do want to get up that way to do some research for my Dewsbury layout project. Main problem though is that I am expecting a very full-on harvest this year and to be working 16 hours a day, 7 days a week from early September through to mid-October.

Hi,

Do come along to the Halifax Show on 22 and 23 September and say hello if you can, below is a view of the depot from the operators side. Please follow the link to see over 140 photos of the layout .post-25565-0-17659800-1533979936_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

If you like n gauge, coal and 58s this is incredible, and who doesn’t?

Thanks Timmy, we have just tried to recreate what now sadly is lost. the layout has been built over a number of years, it was carefully planned and extended twice. It was in storage for over 5 years with nothing happening! Although I did most of the track laying, electrics and planning I have had much assistance from my children, Janet and friend Mark with the scenics and other things. 

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Jo

Hi Jo,

Your post got me thinking, as I had not really noticed the class 56 being overly wide. The prototype is (apparently) 9ft 2in  wide. I assume that is over the body not the handrails, perhaps you can help me on that.I checked my class 56  width over the body and it was 19.35mm. 9'2"scales to 18.90625mm or just 0.44mm over, do you find that really noticeable? I hadn't but thanks for your 'heads up.

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan. Nicely modelled.

Back in the late 80's a group of us would regularly target Shirebrook on an "Away Day" ticket from Dundee. Because of the rules, we could leave Dundee late on Saturday night, travel overnight to Birmingham, then head via various depots to Chesterfield. We made our way back to Doncaster, via Retford and caught the last passenger off of KX. We got back to Dundee in the early hours of Monday morning (and all within the rules of the ticket).

Shirebrook was a feast of heavy freight power that we would never see otherwise. Your layout has brought back a number of wonderful memories, thanks.

John

• Like 4

Hi Jo,

Your post got me thinking, as I had not really noticed the class 56 being overly wide. The prototype is (apparently) 9ft 2in wide. I assume that is over the body not the handrails, perhaps you can help me on that.I checked my class 56 width over the body and it was 19.35mm. 9'2"scales to 18.90625mm or just 0.44mm over, do you find that really noticeable? I hadn't but thanks for your 'heads up.

Cheers

Duncan

I'm at work at the mo and have just moved house so haven't got my model railway stuff with me, but the bodyshell is a good mm or two wider than a Farish 47 (which shares the basic design) and all my other locos. The over width seems to be what makes the front look too flat and the droopy windscreens look too subtle

Jo

Hi Duncan. Nicely modelled.

Back in the late 80's a group of us would regularly target Shirebrook on an "Away Day" ticket from Dundee. Because of the rules, we could leave Dundee late on Saturday night, travel overnight to Birmingham, then head via various depots to Chesterfield. We made our way back to Doncaster, via Retford and caught the last passenger off of KX. We got back to Dundee in the early hours of Monday morning (and all within the rules of the ticket).

Shirebrook was a feast of heavy freight power that we would never see otherwise. Your layout has brought back a number of wonderful memories, thanks.

John

That's one hell of an 'Away Day', the best I could do was from Hastings to Sheffield on a Saturday with a bus ride to the 3 Magpies (more like 300!) and a walk round Tinsley! We have had so many tell us that the layout has brought back fond memories, now that's what I think modelling is all about.

Cheers

Duncan

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Just taken delivery of 15 class B tanks from revolution. THis will form a new train for the layout when we show it at Halifax on 22 and 23 September. They are (of course) progressing through the weathering shop.

• Like 2

Hi everyone

Below are some photos of my recent weathering and repaint projects. 58004 is simply renumbered and weathered down. 56013 is a full repaint with added etched details (arrows and plaques) and a replacement grid grille (correct square pattern mesh - thanks Bernard) and weathered pipe detail at one end. Finally my new revolution class B tanks. I hope Mike and Ben you're not too upset! 

Like the 56. I look forward to picking it up next Saturday. Nice when dad offers to paint it up for you. Ta Dad.  

Carl 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone,

Can you help me please. Installed on Shirebrook are electomagnets for auto uncoupling. Etched metal droppers are fixed to some wagons to facilitate the uncoupling. However, it doesn't always work. Does anyone have any solutions for this problem or can you direct me to a thread on this subject. Standard 'rapido' style couplers are used throughout.

Secondly will the Dapol knuckle couplers work with the electomagnets, (seep type mounted under the baseboard). I know i could try it but just being lazy, I'm sure that someone out there has done extensive tests and found some simple but effective solution.

Thanks in anticipation.