Thanks for the pictures - the 58 and trap point really good and so rarely modeled. I felt cold just looking at the bare trees - a great evocation of winter - have a good show

Robert 

Hi Robert,

The track work is Peco code 55, and no trap point is made in this range. The trap on the model is home made  and is non-operational. The ground signal is also home made it can be set 'on' and 'off# but is not automatic. Full set of photos showing progress over the last few years on Flickr please follow link to view https://www.flickr.c...s/135257675@N08 The signal box faithfully follows the real one and is constructed (kit bashed) from 3 ratio midland boxes has a detailed and lit interior

Cheers

Duncan

I'm looking for the brilliant button to hit, like doesn't seem enough. The last photo of the 47 looks just superb. 

Hi

The 47 is a renumbered and weathered Farish model. The footbridge is etched from my own drawings and my wife Janet made the downside station building from scratch. The signal is a mixture of my own etches and parts available from MSE. It is waiting for a handrail around the bracket platform- when I produce my next set of etches. I feel it is essential to make unique buildings and railway furniture when modelling an actual location to maintain the integrity of the model. There are areas where modeller's licence was necessary but I'll let you find those!

Cheers

Duncan

Duncan,

What a lovely piece of work, enjoyed seeing it displayed at Doncaster, right up my street, literally, Understand that compromises have to be made but you've definitely captured the feel of the place.

Regards Pete  (Shirebrook Signaller)    

I have to thank 'junglebaldster' (former Shirebrook Signalman) for the many photos he has uploaded to 'flickr' which I have used extensively for reproducing details in the model. Perhaps you know or are indeed 'junglebaldster'. Thanks for your comments rubber duck, perhaps we will see you at the Halifax Show

Hi Everyone,

We have been making some repairs to the scenery today in readiness for the layout's next outing to the Halifax show on the 22nd and 23rd of this month. I took the opportunity to get some shots of my latest repaints and the weathered class B tanks. I hope you enjoy them.

To echo what others have posted, superb layout, attention to detail and the pictures on post #48 look very realistic. It also looks like a very cold day and atmospheric, it certainly has the winter feel.

Cheers

Simon

What a fantastic layout; definitely something to aspire to. I love the way that all the colours in the scenery and the weathering are all from the same palete. I will have a good browse on flickr when I get a moment.

Hi Bill,

Can you get over to the Halifax show next weekend, the layout will be there. It was really difficult to find winter colours... in the end we had to airbrush the scenery to tone things down , I still think more work need doing. My son is looking at ways to make 'winter trees' in the style of George Illfe Stokes but its a tall order in N scale.

• Like 1

Hi everyone

Below are some photos of my recent weathering and repaint projects. 58004 is simply renumbered and weathered down. 56013 is a full repaint with added etched details (arrows and plaques) and a replacement grid grille (correct square pattern mesh - thanks Bernard) and weathered pipe detail at one end. Finally my new revolution class B tanks. I hope Mike and Ben you're not too upset! 

Duncan,

Absolutely superb modelling.  Not seen the layout in the flesh so to speak, but wow.  I did spend time at Shirebrook that I can (just!) remember when the 58s were around, a remarkable job!  As for this picture on your Flickr site, it is unbelievable to think that is N gauge! Wow!

You mentioned that 56013 has had added detailing and repaint - can I ask whose etches you used? 

Richie

Edited by Richie Kynaston

Duncan,

Absolutely superb modelling.  Not seen the layout in the flesh so to speak, but wow.  I did spend time at Shirebrook that I can (just!) remember when the 58s were around, a remarkable job!  As for this picture on your Flickr site, it is unbelievable to think that is N gauge! Wow!

You mentioned that 56013 has had added detailing and repaint - can I ask whose etches you used? 

Richie

Hi Richie,

The etches used on 56013 (depot plaques and arrows) are from Shawplan. The replacement 'grids' are from Bernard Taylor and are no longer available, I'm not sure if they ever were but Bernard is a friend and he gave me a few 'tests'. I have repainted many locos and renumbered most, all have been weathered to varying degrees. The model of Shirebrook is just over 20 feet long and is virtually to scale. My wife, Janet, did all the detail work within the shed. The model will be at the Halifax show this weekend if you can get along. 

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Friends, fellow modellers,

For those of you that follow this thread I thought I should let you know that Shirebrook had a good outing at the Halifax Show where the layout received many favourable comments regarding many aspects of the model, from the washing blowing in the wind at the station masters house to the stock detail and overall weathering to the operation. On behalf of all the operating team I would like to pass our thanks to the Halifax Club, and to round off an enjoyable weekend we won Best Layout at Show Shield :) delighted.

Pictures to follow later this week,

Cheers

Wow what a fantastic layout Duncan.

Congratulations on your award.

Really like the last batch of pic's.

Although it is hard to beat the winter pic's on earlier updates.

Thanks Porkie,

I post many pictures to my flickr page that covers the progress over the last four years check the link below. I have a few more projects to do on Shirebrook and will post here as I do them.

Cheers

Duncan

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/

post-9444-0-10646100-1538841927_thumb.jpgpost-9444-0-25540200-1538841977_thumb.jpg

Some simple, basic weathering. Just finished working on 4 grampus wagons for Shirebrook. The wagons had their taunton concrete works lettering gently scraped off with the blunt side of an OLFA knife blade. I then painted the wagons in railmatch weathered black and then took most of it off with a microbrush or cotton swab. Drybrushing of railmatch dark rust, brake dust and weathered black was then applied to varying degrees. Finally, a wash of the black was applied to tone everything down and tie it all in.  All that remains to be done is a coat of matt varnish - the acrylics do have a bit of a plastic sheen, and some silver or chrome for the buffer shanks. The Shirebrook operating authorities will demand it! 

Cheers

Carl

• Like 5