Thanks Carl, 

the weathering looks good, will make a nice mixed cce's train with the dogfish and sharks

Garnished with a sturgeon here and there too hopefully. 

Carl

Edited by Carl. H.

Hello Duncan, 

I think most of the superlatives have been used, this is just so inspiring. 

I saw it in Traction mag 238 from Mar-Apr last year and was so pleased to see it here as well.

Best wishes - Steve

Agree. Yes it is cracking stuff. I especially like those last pictures of the IZAs and the 47.

A level of detail usual found on a 00 gauge layout but this is N guage.

(I also have a soft spot for 80s weathered BR blue if you look at my links)

Edited by SouthernBlue80s

Hello Duncan, 

I think most of the superlatives have been used, this is just so inspiring. 

I saw it in Traction mag 238 from Mar-Apr last year and was so pleased to see it here as well.

Best wishes - Steve

Thanks Steve,

Really glad you enjoy the model. The scenery has moved on a lot since the photos for Traction were taken. It was a bit rushed at the time. We still have some projects to complete, such as the very tall radio tower. We tend to find new ones too under the heading 'general maintenance'!

Cheers

• Like 1

Agree. Yes it is cracking stuff. I especially like those last pictures of the IZAs and the 47.

A level of detail usual found on a 00 gauge layout but this is N guage.

(I also have a soft spot for 80s weathered BR blue if you look at my links)

Hi,

I have had a quick look at your links, nice models, Stabled on Shillston Road- sometimes less is more.

Cheers

Excellent modelling here. Like the choice of winter too. Not often seen without cliched snow. It captures the feel of the area perfectly from back in the day.

Inspiring stuff.

Hi, Thanks and in N gauge winter is really difficult, trying to find a suitable 'bare' tree has been difficult the sea foam and static grass trees were one of those happy accidents, yeah snow would be a real cliche, we are 'lucky' if we see 7 days of snow on the ground all year.

Agreed. I have been tempted in the past to do winter but not done one yet.

After seeing this I might give it a go if I can find the right subject.

I was going to do my Burton on Trent in autumn but I didn't like how the oranges and browns translated to model form in 2mm so reverted to summer. Cop out eh. :)

• Like 1

I think autumn, while there is still green there's a lot of straw shades and a general weakening of colours apart from the vibrant leaves on the trees, but the trick, I think, is not to model a dense foliage but a looser thinner one but what do you use for that in N....

Yes. It just never looked as right as it could have so didn't pursue it. It will be something that I revisit in future though as I quite like Autumn as a season.

Below is a blow up of a picture showing my 'happy accident' winter trees. I had treated the cutting to ground cover and planted the trees but the effect was lacking. So after the purchase of some spray glue designed for static grass i got to work. The cutting sides were (apart from the vertical bedrock parts) were sprayed with the glue, there was inevitably some over spray on to the sea moss trees, I then applied the static grass, it was a dullish colour and 4-6mm long. After the dusting, drying and vacuuming I found some of the static fibers had stuck to the trees, umnn but it actually looked ok. Next i sprayed the newly applied undergrowth a darkish grey, suddenly the fibers stuck to the trees looked like small branches and twigs. One happy accident. I hope the attached picture shows what I mean , look forward to your comments  RBE. 

post-25565-0-41900300-1539100314_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Yes it does look good. I like the saturation level, I assume it reflects the layout and isn't low saturation photography. If I had any positive critism it would be the length of some of the ground cover, brambles or whatever, I noticed those on some of the other pics. Not to take anything away from the scene though. It looks great.

Yes it does look good. I like the saturation level, I assume it reflects the layout and isn't low saturation photography. If I had any positive critism it would be the length of some of the ground cover, brambles or whatever, I noticed those on some of the other pics. Not to take anything away from the scene though. It looks great.

Very fair comment.The led lighting in the garage helps with the winter look.... and like you, one of the team of operators is particularly urked by the length of some of the 'brambles', they are designed for 4mm and I did try to trim them but life is only so long......but thanks for your views, appreciated.

Cheers

Duncan

Very fair comment.The led lighting in the garage helps with the winter look.... and like you, one of the team of operators is particularly urked by the length of some of the 'brambles', they are designed for 4mm and I did try to trim them but life is only so long......but thanks for your views, appreciated.

Cheers

Duncan

Yes I understand. I put some brambles on my layout but could never console myself that it never sat right. I tend to beat myself up when something bothers me which I think is a curse, the missus generally goes "that looks great" and I go, "its not right, somethings bugging me" and I rip it out. Modellers eh.

Anyway I'm really impressed with the layout despite the peco track (haha, if you've seen my previous posts you will know that its a bug bear of mine, again more my issue than anything else probably but I always say it now with a tongue in cheek) are you doing any shows next year, I'm wondering if we will cross paths.

Yes I understand. I put some brambles on my layout but could never console myself that it never sat right. I tend to beat myself up when something bothers me which I think is a curse, the missus generally goes "that looks great" and I go, "its not right, somethings bugging me" and I rip it out. Modellers eh.

Anyway I'm really impressed with the layout despite the peco track (haha, if you've seen my previous posts you will know that its a bug bear of mine, again more my issue than anything else probably but I always say it now with a tongue in cheek) are you doing any shows next year, I'm wondering if we will cross paths.

We are not booked for any shows yet... tentative enquires from Wigan and Leeds but nothing definite yet. DEMU asked us at Doncaster but have never got back to me. We only do about 2 or 3 a year as all operators are in full time employment and some have young families too! We accept offers on a first come basis.

And I do understand your comment about the track but i refer you to my earlier comment, 'life is only so long'...

I get the busy life thing. I barely get any modelling time these days. I've not touched the layout since DEMU this year and I need to get loads done for the season next year. Thats a reason I ended up doing a small layout in the form of Burton on Trent rather than trying to finish Millers Dale at the time.

Track is one of those things I find. To some people its a means to an end and to others its a labour of love. I just can't get on with how course peco looks but as I say thats just me. Theres no right or wrong way really though and Shirebrook is a great looking layout no doubt. I might pop up to the Halifax show to check it out if I can fit it into my diary. I'd love to see it in the flesh.

I get the busy life thing. I barely get any modelling time these days. I've not touched the layout since DEMU this year and I need to get loads done for the season next year. Thats a reason I ended up doing a small layout in the form of Burton on Trent rather than trying to finish Millers Dale at the time.

Track is one of those things I find. To some people its a means to an end and to others its a labour of love. I just can't get on with how course peco looks but as I say thats just me. Theres no right or wrong way really though and Shirebrook is a great looking layout no doubt. I might pop up to the Halifax show to check it out if I can fit it into my diary. I'd love to see it in the flesh.

Halifax show has happened, 22 and 23 September, where we won the best layout in the show. :boast: