Evening All,

Today I have drawn up the etch for the radio tower and printed out a mock up to gauge it for size I also attach a view of the real site, you can make your own judgement, as ever your comments are very welcome. There's also a plan of the layout.new photo

On reviewing the photos this morning , I have changed the photo of the 'paper' radio tower, it was just a blur but it is now possible to see the 'metalwork' in this new photo. 

post-25565-0-79045800-1539462026_thumb.jpg

post-25565-0-74665000-1539462301_thumb.jpg

post-25565-0-79936200-1539506973_thumb.jpg

Edited by Duncan.
  • Like 13

• 3 weeks later...

You know, it's that time of year when the garden requires a tidy and needs to be made ready for the coldest months. The station master at Shirebrook is making a start on digging out some of the last of the Janet has added some detail to the station master's garden. Although not visible there'spost-25565-0-38790700-1540759711_thumb.jpg a new washing line with a good load of washing drying in the wind.

• Like 9

• 5 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

Getting ready for a photo shoot next week with Model Rail Magazine. It is amazing how many little touches are required to get the layout looking it's best. I hope I will have some of my own photos to post soon afterwards...

• Like 5

More Brillinat pictures Duncan. Insperational as always. Thanks for sharing.

All the best

Dave

Thanks Dave that's very kind. I remember way back in either the late 60's or early 70's, when I first came across N it was like an awakening, suddenly (almost) anything seemed possible. I do believe that the modelling potential of N gauge has largely not been realised. I believe that there has been too large an influence of OO and the ' you can get twice as much in the same space and halve all measurements ' voices, when what really is required is a completely fresh approach to modelling to fully appreciate what N scale has to offer. (In my humble opinion.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I do believe that the modelling potential of N gauge has largely not been realised. I believe that there has been too large an influence of OO and the ' you can get twice as much in the same space and halve all measurements ' voices, when what really is required is a completely fresh approach to modelling to fully appreciate what N scale has to offer. (In my humble opinion.)

Humble, but correct.

I model 00 but considered N when I returned a few years ago.  I stuck with 00 because I don't think I could cope with the small size of N these days (and have to live with the limitations of what I can fit in).

Paul.

Thanks Dave that's very kind. I remember way back in either the late 60's or early 70's, when I first came across N it was like an awakening, suddenly (almost) anything seemed possible. I do believe that the modelling potential of N gauge has largely not been realised. I believe that there has been too large an influence of OO and the ' you can get twice as much in the same space and halve all measurements ' voices, when what really is required is a completely fresh approach to modelling to fully appreciate what N scale has to offer. (In my humble opinion.)

I agree with you there Duncan. When I compared my 'wish list' for my layout compared with the space available, there was only really one choice and the space was the main factor at the start.

But as I am now a bit further into the project I am very happy with the choice to model N gauge. The detail on new RTR stock is absolutely brilliant and even as an un-skilled beginner I have been pleasantly surprised what has been possible when I have embraced the challenge of modelling as realistically as possible with an open mind. I  hope that layouts like yours will continue to show what's possible, inspire people to take up the challenge and release some of the unlocked potential N gauge offers.

All the best

Dave

p.s Of course I say this without wanting to start an OO vs N debate :), there are some wonderful OO (&O) gauge layouts out there. Just that I agree with Duncan that N gauges full potential is often not unlocked.

I agree with you there Duncan. When I compared my 'wish list' for my layout compared with the space available, there was only really one choice and the space was the main factor at the start.

But as I am now a bit further into the project I am very happy with the choice to model N gauge. The detail on new RTR stock is absolutely brilliant and even as an un-skilled beginner I have been pleasantly surprised what has been possible when I have embraced the challenge of modelling as realistically as possible with an open mind. I  hope that layouts like yours will continue to show what's possible, inspire people to take up the challenge and release some of the unlocked potential N gauge offers.

All the best

Dave

p.s Of course I say this without wanting to start an OO vs N debate :), there are some wonderful OO (&O) gauge layouts out there. Just that I agree with Duncan that N gauges full potential is often not unlocked.

Me neither, It's really not about one scale versus another, time and a place for all. I see many N layouts mimicing OO ones, perhaps a reappraisal of the intended model at the planning stage could have produced a better N gauge layout. 

Promise I won't mention the 'C' word it will begin for me on the 24th.... I thought I had better post a photo of 37133 (from my last posting) as now it has had an appointment with the airbrush and it's weathered. It is pictured along with 56014. There's a bit of a story behind this loco. It is a blank body that came from DCC supplies when I purchased a chassis. It was blac and devoid of any lighting glazing detail etches (grids) jumper boxes, handrails etc. So I have either scratch built or taken parts from the spares box to make  this loco. I painted the loco and the final stage was to complete the weathering which I did with the 37. I hope you like the finished locos. They are pictured in the fuel off loading siding, with 20214 lurking in the background.

Cheers

post-25565-0-00929900-1543755226_thumb.jpg

post-25565-0-00929900-1543755226_thumb.jpg

• Like 13

Afternoon,

Here are a couple of photos Shirebrook Depot. The interloping class 87's have moved on and here we see more normal motive power for the layout reposing inside the depot shed and probably receiving 'A' exams

post-25565-0-09687100-1543855362_thumb.jpg

post-25565-0-21572100-1543855401_thumb.jpg

• Like 18

Wow love the last update Duncan.

The ac loco's look superb.

And the depot interior details, I am lost for word's.

Looking forward to the next update fella

Phil..

Thanks very much Phil. I have had Chris and Chris from Model Rail here today photographing and videoing the layout. Article to be published in the ??? issue. For more internal views of the depot please check my Flickr account-link below.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/135257675@N08/

Cheers

Duncan

• Like 1

Evening Everybody

Well after a long day putting the full layout up and taking down again after Model Rail's photo shoot it's good to finally sit down. Chris and chris had an enjoyable session and the usual strange happenings began as soon as the man shouted action, lights failing, stalls and couplings parting.... no it all went well really. I attach a picture of the 'shoot'  in our garage this afternoon, oh yeah and it never stopped raining all day!!!!

post-25565-0-38361900-1544041164_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Ooooh, these look great. The side project sounds intriguing ...

Hi branchie,

The 87's are as far as I know the last TPM kits in the world. If you know of any more of the kits I would be glad to purchase, best price paid. I built the models shown for a friend and will be shipped shortly. The photographs were taken before final varnish and glazing. I'll try to post a shot of the fully completed kits before I wave goodbye to them!

Cheers

• Like 3