Here a couple more shots of my recent additions to my rolling stock.  The MDO and MEO minerals I have weathered a little more, the earlier photos appeared to make the weathering look grey. The class 56 repaint detailed in posts above is starting to take shape now, I'm fairly happy with the progress, I intend to give it a light weather. The class 20 has had a light weather since it was last photographed, just needs a light matt varnish now. The salmons with the track panels have also gained strapping (thanks Janet)

IMG_0929.JPG

IMG_0930.JPG

IMG_0931.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
missed text
  • Like 16
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Thanks Rich,

I am having a running day on Saturday, when the whole layout will be put up and 'played' with. Sorry invited guests only as we have limited space. I will be taking some photographs of the action and test running all of the new kit built stock. 

Cheers

Duncan

11 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Superb as ever Duncan. The 56 respirated has come out well. About to start mine, just waiting on the bodyside and roof grills arriving.

Enjoying Shirebrook as ever.

Rich

Where are you getting the bodyside grilles from? what number will you be  making the locomotive? Am I correct to assume the roof grilles are from the same source as mine (via shapeways)?

Cheers

Duncan

9 minutes ago, Ben A said:

Hi Duncan,

The IZAs - like all your weathered wagons - look ace.

What weathering colours do you use?

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

I avoid black. I use Precision and or Humbrol enamels. They are thinned down much more than for normal spraying and sometimes include a 50/50 mix with varnish.

I will post a more detailed reply with colour numbers when I get home.

Cheers

Duncan

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Where are you getting the bodyside grilles from? what number will you be  making the locomotive? Am I correct to assume the roof grilles are from the same source as mine (via shapeways)?

Cheers

Duncan

Hi Duncan,

The bodyside grills are from Bernard at TPM.  I have purchased some Romanian diamonds, and also some British squares for another 56.  The roof grills are from Cav's Shapeways store.  Plan is that one 56 will be 56006 in BR Blue, another will be 56093 in large largo, and a third model will be 56102 Scunthorpe Steel Centenary in Railfreight Coal (I am covering the 1988-1991 period).

I have plans for about six more (and have acquired the bodyside grills for them) but am concentrating on these three repaints first!  Once repainted, they they need the DCC chips and speakers fitting, for which I need a chat with Paul Chetter!

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

2 hours ago, MarshLane said:

Hi Duncan,

The bodyside grills are from Bernard at TPM.  I have purchased some Romanian diamonds, and also some British squares for another 56.  The roof grills are from Cav's Shapeways store.  Plan is that one 56 will be 56006 in BR Blue, another will be 56093 in large largo, and a third model will be 56102 Scunthorpe Steel Centenary in Railfreight Coal (I am covering the 1988-1991 period).

I have plans for about six more (and have acquired the bodyside grills for them) but am concentrating on these three repaints first!  Once repainted, they they need the DCC chips and speakers fitting, for which I need a chat with Paul Chetter!

Rich

Hi,

My grilles on some of my 56's are from Bernard, including 56094 above. Take great care when cutting the holes for the roof grilles. I did one per side at a time, that way I always has two 'solid ends' to cut against.The bottom line of the aperture you will be making should be horizontal front to back (as well as end to end of course) and the top of the aperture should be at right angles to the surface,( sloping down outside to inside of plastic loco body). Slow and steady is best. I will look forward to postings showing your progress.

I have lost the wind screen wipers since I dismantled the body that was to become 56094 do you know who may do a replacement,  or anyone else know? Thanks.

Duncan

• Like 1

Hi Simon, I have attached a  photo of the tape used. I think it's intended to be used on cars and is available from ebay. It comes in various widths and ours is the finest. I cut it down to a suitable width. I hope you find this useful.

Regards Janet

IMG_0942.JPG

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Duncan. said:

Hi,

My grilles on some of my 56's are from Bernard, including 56094 above. Take great care when cutting the holes for the roof grilles. I did one per side at a time, that way I always has two 'solid ends' to cut against.The bottom line of the aperture you will be making should be horizontal front to back (as well as end to end of course) and the top of the aperture should be at right angles to the surface,( sloping down outside to inside of plastic loco body). Slow and steady is best. I will look forward to postings showing your progress.

I have lost the wind screen wipers since I dismantled the body that was to become 56094 do you know who may do a replacement,  or anyone else know? Thanks.

Duncan

Thanks Duncan. I don't - but I forget off the top of my head who the spares agent for Dapol is?  It might be DCC Supplies, in which case they might be able to help?

Once I have made some progress (either with the first of the models, or the layout) I'll start a proper thread :)

Rich

• Informative/Useful 1

6 hours ago, Ben A said:

Hi Duncan,

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben, 

The main colours I use are Precision P951, P978, P963 and P950, I do add a little satin black about 10% max to P978 for the darker areas on the coal wagons and a little on the IZAs in places too. In addition I use P982, Humbrol Matt 62 and satin 85.. But before weathering I pre-fade so in the case of the class 20 below i used a pale blue to simulate the bleaching effect on the rail blue by rain and sun (Precision PP229 Barclays Blue) The heavier weathering the denser pale blue I use ( more coats from the air brush) It is also just discernible on the class 47 with the IZAs in the earlier posting. So on black I pre-fade with a grey and to pre-fade a grey I use a paler grey I pre fade warning yellow with a pale yellow mixed with a little white ( to make it slightly opaque). The class 33 behind the class 20 is not yet weathered and is there to show the (slight) difference the pre-fading makes. Oh and on the MEO's 24.5 tonners  I even used some engineers blue brick by precision on the underframes! 

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_0940.JPG

IMG_0941.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

IMG_0933.JPG

Edited by Duncan.
Additional text
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, MarshLane said:

Absolutely stunning :) I still look at this and struggle to believe its N gauge!

Rich

Hi Rich, would you like to join the guest list for the next running day? It will be in April or May and it will be on a Saturday. If you do I will need to send you a message but at the moment RMWeb says you do not accept messages, could you change your settings?

Cheers

• Thanks 1

On 19/02/2019 at 13:21, Ben A said:

Hi Duncan,

cheers

Ben A.

Hi Ben,

In addition to my earlier post I attach another picture of a class 47 I  renumbered and weathered, it more clearly shows the pre-fading technique I mentioned the cantrail area was first sprayed with a pale blue before adding brake dust and darker sooty tones to build up roof dirt.

44464481794_a6b8a7ffeb_o.jpg

• Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2

Also if you want a fully pre faded paint job before adding the grime then mixing some white into some varnish and spraying a coat does the trick.

Some people use plain white sprayed lightly but the issue with that is you end up with something that looks like its been on cement tanks.

With a spot of white in varnish you can put a proper coat on without it covering everything in white. It just lightens the hue of all of the colours underneath.

I did the red on Masons 37 below using this technique.

2017-04-23_04-17-03.jpg.5fe4e982c0d93cb385d46aa79fd3c431.jpg

• Like 8
  • Informative/Useful 2

Nice job Cav! I have managed at times to spray just varnish and still get a 'white' finish, but that was not what I was trying to do so washed with thinners before lasting damage done. I think my problem was too cold ambient temperature and too high humiditiy for spraying!

Good Evening 

And so the photo record of my class 56 comes (thankfully do I hear you say) to an end, please see various posts above on pages 6 and 7. Below are some photos of 56094 on Shirebrook shed lightly weathered and waiting for a good run on Saturday, the weathered class 20, 20159 also gets a look in.

Cheers

Duncan

IMG_0946.JPG

IMG_0945.JPG

IMG_0944.JPG

IMG_0947.JPG

IMG_0948.JPG

IMG_0945 (2).JPG

• Like 12